Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Suspension Failure on new 2021 RT Limited.

I picked up a new 2021 RT Limited today. On the way home about 100 miles I got on the dash about 5 times a message Suspension failure. It doesn't stay on but just a second. A little light shows on the dash. When I shut the bike off and restart it the little light goes out and I may go several miles before I get the suspension failure signal for just a second and the little light comes on again. Has anyone ever had this? The dealer where I purchased the bike is a 100 miles away. This is my third Spyder and always do my own service. Thought maybe someone on here could help me. It don't seem like it is coming on as often.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure they remembered to hook up the arm on the height sensor. Located on the belt side, on top of the swingarm, near the front pulley. If it is hooked up(mine was) I recommend having the dealer go thru the height adjustment sequence. I did that with mine and it rides perfect now! It is set using a set of blocks and BUDS2 diagnostics. I set mine using my friends BUDS2. Easy to do. Took us about 10 minutes.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

While I'd hafta agree that it's most likely the dealer simply forgot to hook up the height sensor arm (an easy fix! ) you'll often get that warning message if there just not enough air in the air bag for the system to feel comfortable enough to work!

Many dealers don't bother to add any air to the ACS via the Schraeder valve under the seat when they assemble the Spyders, assuming that the system will sort itself out eventually, so even if they HAVE remembered to connect the height sensor arm, the air bag is probably flat as a piss on a dusty road & it'll likely take a few minutes of pumping for the tiny OE compressor to put enough air in the bag to make it work - and the system doesn't like letting the compressor run that long so it triggers an error msg or the 'Manual' warning to tell you to ADD at least about 10-15 psi to the air bag manually!

So before you do anything else, just find that under seat Schraeder valve and ADD at least 10-15 psi to the air bag manually! If your height sensor arm is connected properly, there's a good chance that's all it'll take to sort your current Suspension issues & stop the Suspension Failure warnings!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-09-2022 at 12:49 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I would think if the arm IS hooked up the compressor would fill the bag just fine and not take to long to get there ether!! If the arm is hooked up and the compressors running as it should and there's no leaks in the system, I would say the ride height settings where screwed up and would have to be reset! In any case it is not right and the bike is new and back to the shop it should go if the arm is hooked up!! Sorry just my two cents! Good luck, when it's right you will have a great ride until the dreaded compressor failor happens and I hope it's many years down the road for you!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think compressor failures occur more on spyders that have incorrect suspension settings, causing the compressor to run accessively. My 2014 has 40,000 miles and original compressor.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 04-09-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe seat switch too??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I think compressor failures occur more on spyders that have incorrect suspension settings, causing the compressor to run accessively. My 2014 has 40,000 miles and original compressor.
    No, not necessarily there is a lot of things in that system that will make it go south, you are one of the lucky ones so far that hasn't been struck by that stick so far. Good luck! With that new Sea to sky you will never have a problem with your 2014, because you won't be riding it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I picked up a new 2021 RT Limited today. On the way home about 100 miles I got on the dash about 5 times a message Suspension failure. It doesn't stay on but just a second. A little light shows on the dash. When I shut the bike off and restart it the little light goes out and I may go several miles before I get the suspension failure signal for just a second and the little light comes on again. Has anyone ever had this? The dealer where I purchased the bike is a 100 miles away. This is my third Spyder and always do my own service. Thought maybe someone on here could help me. It don't seem like it is coming on as often.
    Well mine spent 5 months at the dealer with rear suspension failure issues from new. OK, lots of time waiting for parts, but the weather stopped the final solutions from being tested anyway. Not really the dealers fault.

Look on the dash at the code history and see if it is throwing code C210A. This is reset upon power off so you need to look after it happens and before you shut down. Mine seemed to throw the code mostly on the freeway at speeds around 60 or 70 mph when the suspension became unloaded over undulations in the road.

On mine they had to do multiple things to get it all to work, for some people only connecting the ride height sensor works fine apparently:

Couple up the ride height arm to the ride height sensor that was missed during PDI (only models with automatic air suspension have this so I guess that's why it is sometimes missed if you have an RT LTD of Sea-to-Sky).
    Replace the ride height sensor.
    Cure the air leaks in the system.
    Replace the manual air fill valve.
    Finally replace everything related to the automatic air suspension system including the compressor. Oh and calibrating the system with the BUDS2 system I'm sure. Perhaps all the other issues had allowed the pump to run continuously and burn out?

Even if the arm is not connected and just dangling down, it may require a visit to the dealer to get the system calibrated with the BUDS2 system, but you may get lucky by just coupling everything up.

Mine is now fine and works how it should.

To be fair, it still ran fine with the fault, it just didn't automatically adjust the ride height for load, but it handled fine even 2 up. Even 2 up through the canyons it never threw a code, but 5 or 10 minutes on the freeway and then it said suspension fault.

I think there is a video or pictures of the arm for the height sensor somewhere online if I recall. My arthritis doesn't allow me to get down to go under and get a picture but I'm sure I've seen one somewhere online. If you look at the OEM online parts catalog it is part number 706202505. There is an exploded diagram at "https://www.canamoemparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/60229b6b87a86610e0b19598/suspension-rear-shocks". It shows how it connects from the swing arm to the ride height sensor. If you are under your Spyder on the drive belt side it should be connected to the sensor and the top of the swing arm.

Good luck.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I want to thank all you guys for your help. My sensor was plugged in okay. I put 15 pounds of air in the air bag and that took care of my suspension failure and the ride is much better. The dealer must had never test rode it and never put any air in the suspension. Thanks again. I really like it over my 2019.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Where is the schraeder valve under the seat....front or rear seat???
    Gutsplitter
    St. Maries, ID
    2022 RT-L
    2015 RT-L for wife
    Sold all the 2 wheelers
    Retirements coming........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

under the drivers seat near the hinge on the right side. Kind of a pain to get to.