Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Frustration - rant

Lately I noticed quite a bit crabbing about various " issues " folks are having about the Spyder & Rykers..... I have always been vocal here about lots of topics and I think I've been waaaaaaaaaay more helpful as opposed to - just offering criticism. ..... I think a lot of folks want to FIX problems, that IMHO arn't problems. These are MOTORCYLES people .... not Cadillac's or Porsch's .... The list I read of ...want's ... needs ... preferences ... seem to be getting longer and longer .... I'm 75 now and for the past Decade my motto is " If I'm not Happy I DON'T DO IT " .... can I ride in the rain YES, can I ride at 35-F Yes .... but I just don't do it, unless I'm forced to. .... I also try to focus on the " positive ", life is waaaaaaaaaaaay to short not to ....... and as long as I'm on a RANT ..... doesn't anyone know where the " thanks and like " icons are ...... If you ask a question, let the folks who answer ( sometimes 500 words worth ) KNOW you read their Post .... Ride Happy - Ride Safe .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-19-2022 at 01:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hello Mike, Agree with you, seems to me, that when topicstarters have their solution, they rarely come back, with "a thanks for helping me, your solution worked", I have a small business, placing windscreens, glass in all types of vehicles, and I just love customer feedback, makes me grow as a person, but also gives me the opportunity to grow as a business,
    I know where the thanks/ like buttons are, but a few (kind) words never hurts anyone. evenso I will offer help where I can.

But to ease your fumin rant, I REALLY LIKE YOUR EXPERTISE, your solutions make sense, and I think you are a very knowledge guy Keep up the good work, enjoy your ride, and keep helping struggling spyder-ryker-ryders...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default We all need to be Thankful

Sometimes the little things have the most encouragement.
    I have enjoyed reading your posts. Keep up your great work and enjoy some ryde time soon. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Lately I noticed quite a bit crabbing about various " issues " folks are having about the Spyder & Rykers..... I have always been vocal here about lots of topics and I think I've been waaaaaaaaaay more helpful as opposed to - just offering criticism. ..... I think a lot of folks want to FIX problems, that IMHO arn't problems. These are MOTORCYLES people .... not Cadillac's or Porsch's .... The list I read of ...want's ... needs ... preferences ... seem to be getting longer and longer .... I'm 75 now and for the past Decade my motto is " If I'm not Happy I DON'T DO IT " .... can I ride in the rain YES, can I ride at 35-F Yes .... but I just don't do it, unless I'm forced to. .... I also try to focus on the " positive ", life is waaaaaaaaaaaay to short not to ....... and as long as I'm on a RANT ..... doesn't anyone know where the " thanks and like " icons are ...... If you ask a question, let the folks who answer ( sometimes 500 words worth ) KNOW you read their Post .... Ride Happy - Ride Safe .... Mike
    I have three sites that I frequent, this one, a Moto Guzzi one, and a Honda Pilot site and all three suffer these same issues. One thing they all have in common is that folks with trouble free vehicles don't tend to post a lot about their vehicles. If a newbie comes to the site and reads all the posts about issues he thinks WOW I'm not sure I want a Spyder. He doesn't see the many, many, happy owners. I have noticed one thing in my 50 years of riding. Those who ride the most complain the least. There is a difference between riders and owners and I think Spyders like Harleys and Goldwings are just butt jewelry for a lot of owners. They just don't ride much and that's OK because when they get tired of moving that bike around the garage I can buy a nice low mileage bike for a reasonable price. I guess my point here is that a lot of folks don't really ride enough to get to know their vehicle and learn that most of those little noises or funny little vibrations they have on occasion are perfectly normal. One thing that used to bug me is when a person would ask a question and get twenty replies that have absolutely nothing to do with the question they ask. Doesn't bother me much anymore because I now realize that while the answer is totally unrelated it is an answer or idea to another thought I may have. You gotta sift through the coal to find that diamond sometimes. As far as acknowledging a person or a post that was helpful I try to do that, but may not always come through with that acknowledgement. I apologize for that. One thing to remember is that no matter what your religion, politics, or opinions are or no matter your income or where you live all of us on here have one thing in common. We have a Spyder. I will question and argue with you all day long, but if I see you at the side of the road I will be the first to stop and give assistance because as riders we need each other. I do ALL of my own maintenance and repairs on my motorcycles including the Spyder. I will mount a tire or tear down an engine, but I'm far from the sharpest tack in the pack and I often rely on the folks that are sharper than me and there are a lot of those folks here. These types of forums aren't perfect and never will be, but the ideas, solutions, and giggles I get from you guys makes it all worthwhile reading. A little common courtesy and respect goes a long ways and it isn't just the young folks that need to brush up on that.

By the way I have had my Spyder RT for five years, it was a new 2015 that I stumbled across in January of 17 and it has been trouble free and reliable as a brick. My 2016 Moto Guzzi had a engine defect and Guzzi replaced the engine at 4000 miles NO QUESTIONS ASKED and now at 15,000 it purrs like a kitten. I average 25 to 30,000 motorcycle miles a year with more than half of those on the Spyder. I am one of those who don't post much about my trouble free Bike. Maybe I should do that more often so the newbies can see.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ditto, I read these threads hoping to learn something new that will help me while enjoying my . Sometimes I learn, sometimes I just scratch my head and have to but I do get a kick out it!.......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Whenever I have a question or small problem, I first stop and think about just how much Can-AM got right. Like a parking apron at the local airport where like models are parked together, SpyderLovers allows us to share the joys and idiosyncrasies of our machines. If they were perfect and appliance-like they wouldn't be interesting. My Spyder is a joy and the more I get to know it (which everyone here has helped with), the more I enjoy riding.
    Last edited by ButterSmooth; 03-19-2022 at 12:54 PM.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

That's why the site is fun. After a few years on the site now, I can almost see what's coming when I start reading a post.

Since the site is open to all, you are going to get some lookers, some owners (some that like Spyder and some that don't). The whole gamut is here as far as replies go. Some helpful, some jokers, some who like to criticize (even the newbies), and some pot stirrers (just because they can) up to a point.

The good point...you don't have to read anything you don't want to. Just ignore it. You can even put a particular poster on ignore if you want. I do not use the option.

If things get out of hand, the moderators can step in. We were called a lot of bad things at first, because there were some real "nasties" on the site. They have been sent to the wayside.

Happily, most of the skirmishes these days are minor in nature. A few have had their wrists slapped, but they are still back and posting. There are sometimes disagreements as to whether or not we overstepped our bounds. That is why there are five of us. We discuss it and most of the time get it right. And then, the admins have the final say on stuff.

Over the years, I have answered the same questions over and over...but to new people. People come and go, so those of us who are the site veterans sometimes have to sit back and be nice regardless. If you can't be nice...let it go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    That's why the site is fun. After a few years on the site now, I can almost see what's coming when I start reading a post.

Since the site is open to all, you are going to get some lookers, some owners (some that like Spyder and some that don't). The whole gamut is here as far as replies go. Some helpful, some jokers, some who like to criticize (even the newbies), and some pot stirrers (just because they can) up to a point.

The good point...you don't have to read anything you don't want to. Just ignore it. You can even put a particular poster on ignore if you want. I do not use the option.

If things get out of hand, the moderators can step in. We were called a lot of bad things at first, because there were some real "nasties" on the site. They have been sent to the wayside.

Happily, most of the skirmishes these days are minor in nature. A few have had their wrists slapped, but they are still back and posting. There are sometimes disagreements as to whether or not we overstepped our bounds. That is why there are five of us. We discuss it and most of the time get it right. And then, the admins have the final say on stuff.

Over the years, I have answered the same questions over and over...but to new people. People come and go, so those of us who are the site veterans sometimes have to sit back and be nice regardless. If you can't be nice...let it go.
    Well said along with the others that have posted on this Thread ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hey Mikey....If some on this forum bug you, avoid the crazy twits on the Facebook Spyder groups. You want dumb questions, dumbanswers, stupid things done to a Spyder and more? They are all there.
    I'm 86 and find that as I grow older, I am less tolerant of stupid people and the negativity that goes on around me and in the world. I used to dislike seeing those DILLIGAS patches on 1%ers, but today, I'd gladly wear one. Too many worry and fuss about little and things they have no control over.
    Yeah, I'm a fair weather rider too, Mike. I've had enough discomfort in my life that I don't volunteer for any.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Well said, Mike. I've got you by two years (on the upper end) and agree life it too short to fuss and complain instead of enjoying, as best they can, what there is to enjoy. The older one becomes, the faster time passes.

I've had trouble understanding why people buy a thing (motorcycle, boat, RV, car, whatever) and then complain about it endlessly. They site "design flaws" (translation: it isn't the way I would have done it, despite the lack of an engineering degree) lack of some favorite bit of kit, the fact that whatever it is won't, or can't, do some particular thing that their last like item did to their satisfaction. It causes me to wonder why they bought it in the first place or why they didn't sell it when it didn't satisfy them. Perhaps I'm naive, old fashioned, or have simply led a sheltered life. Then again, maybe not.

Oh, and belated thanks for your information regarding tires and tire pressures. We're running Vredersteins now and it's largely because of your posts.
    Last edited by Arion; 03-19-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I can on here last fall to learn more about three wheelers.
    Having asked more than my share of dumb newbie questions, someone has always given a answer, without any sarcasm.
    I have learned a lot and thanks everyone.
    Now al I have to do is sell my bike, take the riding course (June) and then find a Ryker that I can afford.
    Than I will be asking more dumb questions LOL.

Spyder Garage

Besides being the same age and driving the same 2014 RTL, I always enjoy your posts ... especially the ones that include your suggestion to "WORRY LESS -- RYDE MORE". I also come from a (Commercial) Vehicle Maintenance background starting at 15 years of age. Also a DIY guy most of the time. The big difference in us is that I live where the weather lets me ride almost every day, if I care to do so. Keep up the great posts with your valuable info and experiences.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Enjoying the whole thread. Good discussion. The Facebook forums comment is spot on. I’ve been on Spyderlovers forum since about 2011, but was mostly inactive until the middle of last year, when circumstances allowed me to purchase a Spyder. After purchase, I joined several of the FB groups, and was immediately struck by the evident illiteracy of members who couldn’t read their owners manuals, and the constant competition to see how many LEDs they could “artistically” display on their ride.. This forum has thankfully attracted mechanically experienced members willing to help those of us just coming on board willing to learn the joys and intricacies of these wonderful machines. I’ve learned much and am so grateful for the group. A big thanks to you all.

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Hey Mikey....If some on this forum bug you, avoid the crazy twits on the Facebook Spyder groups. You want dumb questions, dumbanswers, stupid things done to a Spyder and more? They are all there.
    I'm 86 and find that as I grow older, I am less tolerant of stupid people and the negativity that goes on around me and in the world. I used to dislike seeing those DILLIGAS patches on 1%ers, but today, I'd gladly wear one. Too many worry and fuss about little and things they have no control over.
    Yeah, I'm a fair weather rider too, Mike. I've had enough discomfort in my life that I don't volunteer for any.
    Well, I can honestly say I learned "another" something new here. "DILLIGAS"! Even had to look that one up.......and I must say I can totally relate to that Acronym, even at my young age of 63. It takes time, even years, to learn this concept, but frees the mind.

Hmm, where do I get one of those Patches?

Anyways, since before joining this group I knew absolutely nothing about Spyders and was even a bit skeptical of wanting to own one with everything I had previously read, viewed, etc. It was rather intimidating "back then". I hadn't even rode one before I purchased the one I have now. It was either "do or die" moment when I did make the purchase. My determination level was that strong to want to master this creature. And I wanted to ride again, and now being a left leg amputee, this was that perfect fit.

Now, thanks to many here on this forum I feel like an old pro. Still forever learning, and getting passed my little insecurities of even attempting to do my own maintenance on these creatures, which I just underestimated myself and my capabilities. Working on my other vehicles....no problems there.

Removing the plastic many times , done a few oil changes, tires, brake pads, and recently replaced my coolant......and all the little how-to tips from the members here, and of course Youtube videos, made it all seem like a breeze now.

I am grateful I found this forum and and definitely appreciate all the input and its contributions, be it good, bad or (well, not ugly ).

Did I mention that when the Spyders first came on the scene, I thought they were hideous! Look at me now!

Anyways...........many thanks to all! I love the comradery this forum offers.
    Last edited by Briorick; 03-19-2022 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spell check

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You'll find DILLIGAS patches at many H-D shops and events where Harley is the major brand.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

You'll find DILLIGAS patches at many H-D shops and events where Harley is the major brand.

Thank you RICZ, you have just made my night even better. I got some shopping to do.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default continued info

Well a lot of folks here have added posts since my last comment above at Post #9 ..... and to all those I THANK YOU VERY MUCH. And am a bit surprised by ALL the kind words ..... but I really appreciate them ...... Just a bit more of info about my attitude here on this forum.... earlier in my posting here on this Forum ( and this is the only Forum I'm on about Spyders ... No Facebook, No Twitter, No TikTok, No Yelp etc.. I am on the FF5 Cobra forum ) .... I have learned a lot in the past 10 years and try not be as harsh as I was back then.... I've been Spanked a couple of times and was rarely happy about it, BUT I could see why the Spankers thought I need it ....I started this RANT so the Newbie's could maybe learn something about the Oldie's who answer a lot of the Questions they ask ( often dozens of times, for the same topic ) .... and try and show some respect (?) for the effort the Oldie's put into this Forum .... Again, let me thank all of you who are here, and your support of this Forum. Because where would be without it ...... Sincerely, Mike ......A special " shout out " to all here who state their names at the end of every post.... it's nice to know Who we are answering .........
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2022 at 01:09 AM. Reason: stae = state ;-)

Spyder Garage

...... A special " shout out " to all here who state their names at the end of every post.... it's nice to know Who we are answering .........
    10-4 on that one
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2022 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

About that DILLIGAS thing........My soulmate of 35 years now ( I am 79 this year and she is 69) is firmly convinced (and ALWAYS has been) that I am a very strong supporter of this club !! I of course do not agree...but then again, why get into an argument I cant' win anyway
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Great post!!!!! There is so much to agree with and very little if any to disagree. I did the Navy thing for 20 yrs and then the Gov thing for another 20. I've had my fair share of whining, complaints, whatever you want to call it. In the Navy the old saying was "A happy sailor is a bitching sailor". As I aged-I don't really believe that. Anyway, thanks for the Rant and all the comments. Just RIDE and enjoy whatever life you have left.
    Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

That is so true. I am a member here for solid answers Have had to block on FB some of them and on several Spyder FB groups and it runs the gamut from helpful answers to just pure ignorance, even when smacked with the truth.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    A special " shout out " to all here who state their names at the end of every post.... it's nice to know Who we are answering .........
    10-4 on that one
    My name has been there from the time I joined....RICZ. I left the space out from between the C and the Z. Ric is short for Richard - there is no K in Richard.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I can on here last fall to learn more about three wheelers.
    Having asked more than my share of dumb newbie questions, someone has always given a answer, without any sarcasm.
    I have learned a lot and thanks everyone.
    Now al I have to do is sell my bike, take the riding course (June) and then find a Ryker that I can afford.
    Than I will be asking more dumb questions LOL.
    Harkening back to my days as an accounting professor...I always told the students at the very first class, that there is no such thing as a stupid question. For every one that you think you have, I am betting that there are several others with the same question...only not brave enough to ask it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Harkening back to my days as an accounting professor...I always told the students at the very first class, that there is no such thing as a stupid question. For every one that you think you have, I am betting that there are several others with the same question...only not brave enough to ask it.
    You are right...there are no stupid questions, but there are stupid answers.