Thread: Route 66 trip

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Route 66 trip

I posted earlier that my MC was planning a Route 66 trip next summer and several asked about joining us. Unfortunately, the member who suggested it has since left the club and the trip has died on the vine.

Sorry...this is my 2nd Route 66 trip that has been CNXed.

Spyder Garage

I'll bet if you do get this trip together we can arrange some Spyders to join you for a few miles.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    I posted earlier that my MC was planning a Route 66 trip next summer and several asked about joining us. Unfortunately, the member who suggested it has since left the club and the trip has died on the vine.

Sorry...this is my 2nd Route 66 trip that has been CNXed.
    I will be doing Route 66 next summer with hundreds of Harley riders (HOG members). Most likely, I will have the only Spyder on the ride. If you are a HOG member, please join us. If you do the ride, you will not have any difficulty finding me.

RT-S PE#0174
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lee View Post
    I'll bet if you do get this trip together we can arrange some Spyders to join you for a few miles.

Count me in. Let us know.
    Last edited by BumbleBee; 11-22-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    I will be doing Route 66 next summer with hundreds of Harley riders (HOG members). Most likely, I will have the only Spyder on the ride. If you are a HOG member, please join us. If you do the ride, you will not have any difficulty finding me.
    Let me know about your event. I live on Route 66 in Barstow, CA.

Its even in the song!

Get your kicks on route 66.....
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If all goes well I am considering a partial route 66 trip in Sept. 2011.
    I'm hoping to travel from Beaufort SC to Phoenix AZ and back via I10 and I40. I'll be looking for the rt.66 portion along I40. At that time I'll have 3 weeks vacation accrued. That's why I'm planning for Sept. 2011.
    When I get down to less than a year I'll I'll decide which way to go so I can try to catch a potential BBQ in Mosheim TN

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Fish65 and I are planning a trip down route 66 in early June 2010. We have been wanting to do this a long time. We will be starting in So Cal and seeing how far we can get on a two week vacation . One week up the other home. Unless work throws a kink in it.

quackerz

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I rode part of RT 66 in 2009. I rode up from San Antonio (8 hours) to Shamrock, TX and rode as much of it as I could from Shamrock to Flagstaff. Great trip and nice destinations along the way. Would like to do the trip in 2011 but unfortunately got other trips planned. Rode the entire trip and back in June (2800+ miles) and never saw another Spyder. It would be great to get a larger group to ride the trip.

I originally planned to go with the Mother Road Rally group but it was too regimented for me. I think they are making the trip again in 2011. It's usually planned for the middle of June. You can jump on at key points if don't want to make the full run.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Next will be Rt. 77 Sunset Strip

Out of work Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The ride

Dear Irish MAN

All you have to do is pick a date to start and the rest of us will join you.

Six pack of Guinness says I'm right.

So when do we leave.
    smilingene

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did Rt 66 from IL to Needles this summer. Great ride, lots of fun.

I rode solo, but you're never really solo when you're out there. Lots of folks riding the Mother road. pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/lowflyingowl

I didn't have any hotel/campground reservations and had no problems finding a place to stay each night. There are lots of good books, etc -- I used Lonely Planet's guide and also AAA's Rt 66 guide.

So just decide when you'll start and go for it.

2022 F3 Base
    Kawa Z900 - 72k
    NInja 650 80K
    2008 SM5 - 42k

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A DREAM TRIP

I went some of OKLA, TEXAS, NEW MEXICOand ARIZONA on RT 66, in a van,I have always dreamed to go all the way,maybe when I retire and take a month.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default If any of you are coming through here . . . .

. . . . let me know.

It would be great to join up for a little of your trip. We could even meet up at the Route 66 Diner here in Albuquerque.

(every time I stop there I seem to never have my camera - maybe later today)

See you then!

Tom

Spyder Garage

Maybe the owners rally could be in New Mexico next year. Its central enough and we all can have a crack at the Mother Road. You know what? The Mother Road Rally is scheduled for June 12-19 next year. Thats perfect!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . let me know.

It would be great to join up for a little of your trip. We could even meet up at the Route 66 Diner here in Albuquerque.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Maybe the owners rally could be in New Mexico next year.
    I hope that could happen in 2011 as that is when I plane to be rydin thru NM...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    I hope that could happen in 2011 as that is when I plane to be rydin thru NM...
    Yeah I can handle that in 2011. I retire in May anyway.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Uhhhhh . . .

Maybe the owners rally could be in New Mexico next year. Its central enough and we all can have a crack at the Mother Road. You know what? The Mother Road Rally is scheduled for June 12-19 next year. Thats perfect!
    . . . . did I just invite everyone on the forum to stay at my house next year?!

Tom

Spyder Garage

Tom
    How big is your house Tom? We have a tent, how big is your yard? LOL
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Tom
    Party @ Toms!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

My first big trip with my Spyder was route 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago. Since the Spyder was my first motor cycle ever, this made it my first motorcycle trip of any great length. Good fun. It would be better coming from Chicago to Santa Monica as it just gets weirder as you go west.

Get a set of "Here It Is" maps from Ghost Town Press. Route 66 is not real easy to follow. Better yet get a GPS down load of the route, or you will spend a lot of time navigating.

If you can only do a part of Route 66 then go from Oklahoma City to Santa Monica. East of Oklahoma City it is pretty much just a road (no offense intended to those who are in love with that part of it. It is a nice road)

Stay in a Wigwam Motel. They are pretty cheap and way better than you would think.

Be prepared to meet a lot of European bikers. It must be a thing with them to rent Harleys in Chicago and ride to California. If only they could do it on a Spyder.....Nice bunch of people.

On this trip I sent e mails to friends to let them know what I was doing. At the end I sent the entire thing to BRP as part of their "My favorite rides' contest. They gave me a serious piece of change for my story. Well it was serious to me as I have no money. I don't know if you can still find it on their website.

Good luck with your trip. Keep us all informed. I plan to go to Alaska next year but if that falls through I may just join up and get my kicks once again.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default What have I done!?

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    How big is your house Tom? We have a tent, how big is your yard? LOL
    How big is your tent? If it is Brian-size, no way!

Party @ Toms!
    Well it is true, your new Avatar fits. Sorry, no ABBA played here.

Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recluze View Post
    My first big trip with my Spyder was route 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago. Since the Spyder was my first motor cycle ever, this made it my first motorcycle trip of any great length. Good fun. It would be better coming from Chicago to Santa Monica as it just gets weirder as you go west.

Get a set of "Here It Is" maps from Ghost Town Press. Route 66 is not real easy to follow. Better yet get a GPS down load of the route, or you will spend a lot of time navigating.

If you can only do a part of Route 66 then go from Oklahoma City to Santa Monica. East of Oklahoma City it is pretty much just a road (no offense intended to those who are in love with that part of it. It is a nice road)

Stay in a Wigwam Motel. They are pretty cheap and way better than you would think.

Be prepared to meet a lot of European bikers. It must be a thing with them to rent Harleys in Chicago and ride to California. If only they could do it on a Spyder.....Nice bunch of people.

On this trip I sent e mails to friends to let them know what I was doing. At the end I sent the entire thing to BRP as part of their "My favorite rides' contest. They gave me a serious piece of change for my story. Well it was serious to me as I have no money. I don't know if you can still find it on their website.

Good luck with your trip. Keep us all informed. I plan to go to Alaska next year but if that falls through I may just join up and get my kicks once again.
    I read that trip report and thought it was great. Made me want to make the trip. I highly recommend to anyone planning route 66 trip.
    Dick

Spyder Garage

Bob Naquin, sorry, I don't know his handle here, wrote a great article last year on his trip on the Mother Road.

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Co...2-8617b6388704

I always looked forward to reading his next post with great pictures. I met him at the Universal Studios parking lot at the owners rally. Nice guy!

He and I have the same barber.
    Happy Spyder Owner