Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thoughts on the 2021 RT...

My wife and I both ride RT's now, she's on a 2019, and I'm on the trusty 2016. We're seriously thinking about trading up for a couple of 2021's in the next couple weeks after the 2022's are introduced. Looking for reviews from the group.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

FWIW and it's just my personal opinion, I was at my local dealership last week picking up a new helmet and I had my first good look at a '21 RT. It had that big, whatever they call it box aft of the passenger seat. My bottom line was I just didn't like it that much. In addition to my '14 being configured just the way I've grown to love it, I wasn't swayed that a new one would be that much better than what I have.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    FWIW and it's just my personal opinion, I was at my local dealership last week picking up a new helmet and I had my first good look at a '21 RT. It had that big, whatever they call it box aft of the passenger seat. My bottom line was I just didn't like it that much. In addition to my '14 being configured just the way I've grown to love it, I wasn't swayed that a new one would be that much better than what I have.
    It takes all of 1 minute to remove the “Box” though, Jaybros, and that is how I normally run……..best of both worlds.
    I find the ‘21 RT very refined compared to my ‘16 F3-L, but I haven’t had a prior year RT, so I can’t really compare apples to apples. One thing I do find is that it rides beautifully stock…..I.e. no bottoming at around 420lbs 2 up, and a better cornering experience for me than the F3 with aftermarket bar and shocks. If aftermarket shocks and stabiliser bar can improve performance on the current RT……..WOW. I won’t be bothering though.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Although I did not own a pre-2021 RTL Spyder I did do some good test rides on a 2014 and 2018.
    I just could not get comfortable with them.
    Plus I needed more storage than the wormhole rear trunk provided.
    Along comes the 2021… and WOW! I could not believe the difference in handling and smooth ride.
    I love that I can get my modular helmet plus a myriad of stuff into the back trunk with no problems.
    I don’t get the twitchy/darty dance on the road that the earlier model test drives gave me.
    I did put some comfort stuff on: foam over-grips, OEM adjustable air wings, Heli bars, Utopia driver backrest.
    I find the heated comfort seat to be fine but keep my Air Hawk with me, just in case, when we are out on all-day rides..but haven’t had to use it yet.
    People say they feel they are perched on top of the RTL rather than down in it like the F3 but I feel like I am one with the bike with those huge floorboards that I can stretch out on.
    The Helibars customized my handlebar comfort but then I am the “princess and the pea” and insist on being comfortable whatever the cost.
    Unless things start to change as the age and miles pile on I don’t anticipate having to do a sway bar change or lazer alignment or shocks upgrade, etc. Tires will be in my future eventually when the OEM Kendas wear out.

Just go drive one… you will be pleasantly surprised!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I've thrown a lot of money at my '16 to get it where I want it, and it handles great.....soring stiiffeners, sway bar, alignment, better tires.....and on and on and on..... We looked at a pair of '21's at our dealer and he said to hold off until the '22's come out. He thought there might be an upgrade we might prefer....Hmmmm....OK, maybe we will, but I'm thinking that maybe the '22's might force the leftover 21's to come down a bit in price. One can only hope
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Makes sense to wait for both of the reasons you stated and you're happy with your current ride.
    FWIW, Monk is selling his '21 for a steal right now.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...139-Fs-2021-rt
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have our own Spyder RTLs and have been riding them for the last 7 years and have over 100K miles each on them we started with 2013s then went to 2015s , we bought matching 2021s this may and have 7,000 miles on them and absolutely love the improvements made on them. Out of the box they handle much better than our old bikes even after all the standard upgrades we made on them.
    IMG_2451.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Before buying a 2021 RTL I sat on a used 2015? The difference in just the ergonomic feel was hands down for the 2021... started looking at spyder rt when they first came out. Didn’t buy on just because it didn’t feel good enough at that time.... Finally new style came out and had to get one....finally it was completely comfortable ergonomically......love mine.

Spyder Garage

I bought the 2021 RT, not the Limited, because I did not like the look of the bike with the rear trunk and did not feel $4,000 in price increase over the basic RT was worth it for a trunk and heated seats. I came from a 2016 Honda Goldwing. I am totally pleased with this Spyder, and my wife likes riding with me more than she did on the Goldwing. I did add a passenger backrest which she felt was essential for her. Despite reading about handling problems requiring a sway bar and laser alignment, my stock RT has been just about perfect for me. Little things are not to my total satisfaction, but these things might have also been on earlier model years (like having to turn the key to open the frunk while pulling up the "hood", rather than the key just "popping" the hood by itself; the need for 91 octane gas rather than 86 or 87, and the less than what I thought it would be BRP Connect.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used to own a 2018 RT and currently ride a 2021 RT. IMHO, the 2021 is far above the previous generation in comfort, handling and style (although the last one is subjective).

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I went from the 2014 RT to a 2016 F3T. I love the larger pulley and better acceleration (yes, I love power). When the new 2020 RT came out, I was taken back on the beauty and comfort on the new style. I enjoyed the smoothness, but was a little let down on the quality issues and especially the lack of raw power (maybe it seemed that way because it was so smooth). I am still looking at them, and trying to resist. I will wait until they either have a drivetrain upgrade, or I come across a smoking deal on a 2021 or 2020. But in all ways except for the power and some fitment issues, this is by far the nicest looking spyder that I have come across.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I used to own a 2018 RT and currently ride a 2021 RT. IMHO, the 2021 is far above the previous generation in comfort, handling and style (although the last one is subjective).
    It's really a minor gripe, but I do not understand why on the 20/21 models there are two "blades" that just hang down into the radiator air intakes. They're only attached at the top; the bottom just hangs out there unattached. The blades don't appear to add anything to functionality, and they look goofy to me, more of an afterthought than a purposeful inclusion.

I also like the chrome package much better on my 2019 than the newer models. Adding chrome trim on the wheels isn't much of a package.

My nickel's worth.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To me the pre '20 RTs look dated
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

I prefer the tour pak look of 20+, that's me. I traded my 18 RTLT for a 20 and can say I have no regrets. The only thing I've added is the driver back rest and some additional side lighting. The handling is great, I think that stock, the sound system is better, and I really like the huge boards. Oh yes, I did change the bars!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2021 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spaces between words/sentences.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I like my 2021 RT Limited. I had a number of options added. The comfort seats are not what they promise in my opinion. I found my Ultimate Seats on my VTX1300 a lot more comfortable on long rides. I plan to install Ultimate Seats on the RTL in the future. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive. That said, I really enjoy the 21 RTL. Picked mine up the end of April and I have just under 6,000 years on it already.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CKelley View Post
    Picked mine up the end of April and I have just under 6,000 years on it already.
    whew, ancient rider here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! darn spell check!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Came to the 2021 RTL from 123537 miles on a GL1800 with stock seats (full Traxxion suspension) and Utopia backrest. Had heated comfort seats installed mainly for the wife. Added the Utopia for one-up. Looks were never an issue to me. We ride, not profile. No "performance chrome". So far the only real changes I'd like are with the audio. Learned to bend my elbows on straight roads and she's a joy to ride. Unigo hitch setup is installed awaiting electrical hookup to complete it.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I rode a 16 RTL and a 19 RTL before purchasing my 21 RTL, there are what I call significant improvements. The riding position is better, more passenger room, the seat is more comfortable and there is helmet storage. I have had my 21 for just over a month and have 3500 miles on it. Wouldn't go back to the older style. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RT and wish the BRP Connect worked more effectively, and allowed the use of any and all apps on the connected phone. But then again I was unhappy with the hard wired audio system on my previous ride, a Honda Goldwing and the achaic keypad type entry system needed to enter data on the navigation system. And I find it puzzling why I have to press the Mode button before I hit the starter button. Personally I would have liked an option to forego the four speakers totally and have extra lockable storage on the fairing instead.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I have a 20 RTL, essentially the same machine as the 21. I’ve added a canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness, showchrome trunk rack, 12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk, dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch) , frunk lid organizer, trunk organizer, showchrome rider backrest, ryder and passenger cup holders, ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS.

Before I started farkling I loved the stock machine. Now that I’ve dialed it in the way I want it I love it more. No experience with previous versions but the 20+ versions are AMAZINGLY comfortable, roomy, massive floorboards to move your legs around on.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Little things are not to my total satisfaction, but these things might have also been on earlier model years (like having to turn the key to open the frunk while pulling up the "hood", rather than the key just "popping" the hood by itself;
    My 2020 RT base model does pop up when I turn the key - yours might need some adjustment?

The seat however, does not and I have to pull up the right corner while twisting the key.

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Learned to bend my elbows on straight roads and she's a joy to ride.
    Agree with this and it takes a few miles to learn this. I also find that when riding fast in the twisties it is easier to ride if one bends the elbow/relax the hand which is on the "curve side" (right hand curve, bend right elbow and vice versa).

FWIW somewhat in response to the OP (and I have no experience with earlier model year Spyders or other Spyder models), to me, the 2021 RT Spyder is a pleasure to ride. It is my first one and I come from riding motorcycles and I find the RT much less fatiguing to ride all day than a 2 wheel motorcycle. Physically it demands more effort in the curves (especially if you ride fast) but at the end of the day, I am much less tired than I ever was on a motorcycle. The concentration required to ride a motorcycle (fast or slow) exhausted me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    It's really a minor gripe, but I do not understand why on the 20/21 models there are two "blades" that just hang down into the radiator air intakes. They're only attached at the top; the bottom just hangs out there unattached. The blades don't appear to add anything to functionality, and they look goofy to me, more of an afterthought than a purposeful inclusion.

I also like the chrome package much better on my 2019 than the newer models. Adding chrome trim on the wheels isn't much of a package.

My nickel's worth.
    Those "blades" are Spyder fangs and I love them on my 21!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I have a 2021 RT and wish the BRP Connect worked more effectively, and allowed the use of any and all apps on the connected phone. But then again I was unhappy with the hard wired audio system on my previous ride, a Honda Goldwing and the achaic keypad type entry system needed to enter data on the navigation system. And I find it puzzling why I have to press the Mode button before I hit the starter button. Personally I would have liked an option to forego the four speakers totally and have extra lockable storage on the fairing instead.
    I'm with you on the lack of 'glovebox' storage. Scrap the speakers and give me 2 good size pockets. There is one alternative proposed by "eschmid2" back in June, that may be of interest to you. My post on the subject had a little lower price and it's worked out well.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-for-Passenger
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

I am still looking and undecided RT is nice but F3 looks so sleek and sexy. Hopefully, I will be able to test ride this week without heavy sudden downpours like over the weekend.

Spyder Garage

Happy to say we both traded up for 2021 RT Limiteds. Holy cow what a difference 5 yrs makes
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White