Spyder Garage

Angry 2020 vs 2021 Ryker 900 (Rally) big performance downgrade on the 2021? With video...

Hello, I am having an "issue" with my brand new Ryker Rally 2021. Before I bought it I test drove a 2020 900ACE demo model. As soon as I got my 2021 Rally I felt like it was very power limited compared to the demo I tested before. I was told it might be because I was in break in period or something. Now, a few weeks later my Ryker that has now 2000km on the odometer is still feeling really underpowered. So I took my GoPro and did 0-100km/h tests (0-62~mph) on my Rally and on the dealer 2020 900ACE demo. The difference is almost 2 seconds! That's a LOT. In fact that's around 25% slower. The RPMs on the 2020 900 ACE are way higher all the way and the dealer to that only had to say that this is "normal" and is "because BRP decided to lower RPMs for highway comfort". My first question is, anybody here have a 2021 900 or Rally and has numbers close to mine? Is my Ryker broken or is this really the way they are in 2021? I'm pissed. It's like test driving a VW GTI that has 200HP, buying it and getting delivered a Golf instead with 150HP without your knowledge.

Here is the video of my comparaison, same day, 15 minutes difference, same stretch of road.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygfik_2JAAE

--------------------------------------------------
    Times with 2020 Ryker 900 ACE (DEMO)
    1st Run 0-100 6.2 seconds @ 6700RPM
    0-130 10.8 seconds @ 7300RPM

2nd Run 0-100 6.2 seconds @ 6600RPM

3rd Run 0-100 6.0 seconds @ 6600RPM
    0-130 10.6 seconds @ 7200RPM

Times with my 2021 Ryker Rally
    1st Run 0-100 8.2 seconds @ 5900RPM
    0-130 14.9 seconds @ 6800RPM

2nd Run 0-100 7.6 seconds @ 5900RPM
    0-130 12.8 seconds @ 6800RPM

Spyder Garage

What mode were you in for each Ryker? Eco, Sport, etc

What was the tire pressure for both of the units?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post

My thoughts exactly. Are they different Mode for Mode? Or are we looking at apples and oranges?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

A very interesting test to me, and many thanks to you, that you have done such enormous tests and documentation.

As far as I can see, all the test rides where done in "SPORT" Mode.
    It can be seen on the picture attached.

I have a Rally 2020 myself but with the "european limitations" in lower RPM up to 80km/h (due to european noise and exhaust limitations).
    About the new 2021 Models BRP said they did "Powertrain improvements (90% CVT activation noise reduction, NVH reduction at cruising speeds)".

All the time I wondered how they have done this ...

Regards
    Michael

Mode.jpg

Spyder Garage

I heard on another forum that the 2021 models have been tuned down a little which affects performance. But on the up side, gets better fuel mileage than the previous years.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have not heard anything about the 2021's being tuned down

Spyder Garage

As for what mode he was in, from the video it looks like both machines were in Sport mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    I have not heard anything about the 2021's being tuned down
    There was a lengthy discussion about this on one of the Ryker FB groups a while back, either RykerMods or Ryker Owners Group. I believe it was Bill Ramseyer Jr of BLR Tuning that added substantially to this discussion with data from all three models from all three model years. This data showed that the 2021 models were slower than the two previous model years. Tuned down might not be the correct terminology, but it would be easy for a manufacturer to do with a couple of slight tweak inputs through the ECU.

Now I dont know Bill personally, and he is not BRP, but I do consider him one of the more very knowledgeable people on the Rykers since he has done a lot of R&D on his own Ryker and develops, manufactures and/or sells Ryker performance parts, accessories, tunes, exhaust systems, breather kits and races his on Ryker at the track. I did purchase one of his gear shift extenders thats textured, thicker and extends the shifter out a couple of more inches making it much easier to operate with your foot, an inexpensive item that I highly recommend to anyone that doesn't like the shorter OEM shifter.

Spyder Garage

I have also the "downtuned" EU Version - it seems they just used a different mapping for Europe (but easy to change to the US-Version) .. now the 2021 EU-Version (which I testet) feels to run faster 0 - 60 miles, the engine sounds a little different ..they told me there are new "weights" ?? in the CVT Gearbox and it should use 10% less fuel than the old one .. (could not test it) - but there is a new order number for them, so maybe thats the difference for the Canadian Modells ..

(mine is a 900 Std (2018) with a much better rear tire (Hankook Ventus) so I reach under 6 sec to 60miles ..)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post

Both we're in Sport mode, my Rally tire pressure was at the spec: 28PSI on the rear and 20PSI on the front. The 900 ACE Demo I didn't check...

Spyder Garage

A lot of people on the FB Ryker groups who have the 2021's have noticed that their 2021 900's are not as fast as previous years. Here's another post that was posted over there this morning: Hello Ryker Family, I have a 2021 Ryker 900 and this is the second time I pushed it to it’s max mph. But can anyone tell me why my gauge won’t go beyond 96mph? �� And I had it in Sport Mode!
    Personally I dont need to do 100 MPH plus, I'd much rather have the trade off of better fuel mileage that the 2021's have.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    they told me there are new "weights" ?? in the CVT Gearbox and it should use 10% less fuel than the old one .. (could not test it) - but there is a new order number for them, so maybe thats the difference for the Canadian Modells ..
    Wondering if the weights you mentioned are similar to the old skool mechanical advance units used on contact point ignitions? Higher RPMs on those would advance the ignition timing ... not sure what exactly their purpose would be on taming the shifts on a CVT though ...
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I am surprised myself that there aren't clutch kits out there for these things like snowmobiles and all of these aftermarket shops pounding on the door to sell them! But on the other hand it is a small market so far I guess, the bike hasn't really been out there that long!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Wondering if the weights you mentioned are similar to the old skool mechanical advance units used on contact point ignitions? Higher RPMs on those would advance the ignition timing ... not sure what exactly their purpose would be on taming the shifts on a CVT though ...
    That is exactly what the weights do in a CVT transmission. As RPM changes, the Centrifugal force upon the weights as a result of the RPM moves the shive walls in and out thusly changing the diameter of the pulleys which in turn changes the gear ratio of the drive system. CVT trannys are easily tuned by changing these weights, internal ramps and springs. I am a little surprised that the Ryker aftermarket has not exploited this as has been done with ATV's and Snomobiles.........YET.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L