Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Road vibrations on 3 wheels

June 29, 2021

The one problem I have found with three wheelers is that they pick up every lump, bump and crack in the road as a form of vibration. The rear wheels picks up all the imperfections in the middle of the road and the two front wheels pick up every nook and cranny vibe on both sides. Obviously there is no way to eliminate that problem without removing 3 of the wheels. LOL.
    At least with the two wheel cycles, they only pick up vibrations from the one side of the lane. However, I am never going back to two wheelers because they are too heavy to maneuver. Is everyone else picking up all the vibes from the center and both sides of the lanes ?

On a smooth road, it is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Motogordo; 06-29-2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added photo

Spyder Garage

Check your tire pressures. PSI may be too high. Also after-market shocks can reduce road imperfections.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Tire pressure is 20/28

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try 17 psi fronts
    24 rear cold.
    Rear tire is directly behind the catalyst……the heat from that will increase rear tire pressure 5-7 psi.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Roads aren't perfect and yes, three wheelers pick up more vibration; that's three wheel life. Ride more, worry less.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds good to me. Ride On.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    June 29, 2021

The one problem I have found with three wheelers is that they pick up every lump, bump and crack in the road as a form of vibration. The rear wheels picks up all the imperfections in the middle of the road and the two front wheels pick up every nook and cranny vibe on both sides. Obviously there is no way to eliminate that problem without removing 3 of the wheels. LOL.
    At least with the two wheel cycles, they only pick up vibrations from the one side of the lane. However, I am never going back to two wheelers because they are too heavy to maneuver. Is everyone else picking up all the vibes from the center and both sides of the lanes ?

On a smooth road, it is great.
    Way more bumps and shudders on trike compared to 2 wheeler! .... no matter what pressure is in the tires! 3 areas of bumps/chuckholes etc to contend with instead of just one.
    Just like you, I'm still loving my RTL. Reverse gear is the BEST THING ever!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Blessings for the Reverse Gear....LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Try 17 psi fronts
    24 rear cold.
    Rear tire is directly behind the catalyst……the heat from that will increase rear tire pressure 5-7 psi.
    This is what I run in my oem tires.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, three wheels will hit every road imperfection. Worse, even a small bump tries to send the Spyder in a new direction, requiring constant steering corrections. Two wheels wants to go straight, so it self corrects after minor bumps. In fact, two wheels can be ridden with no handlebar input at all, as trick riders often demonstrate. For me, I would go back to 2 wheels in a heartbeat if my legs were strong enough. Still, the Spyder is way better than not riding at all.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

My first thought when I got my first spyder was it took the bumps way softer than my Street Glide did. A sharp bump on the Harley would make my wife complain how hard it hit. I watch the 2 wheel bikes in front of me hit a harsh bump and it will almost bounce the bike. The suspension on the spyder absorbs the bumps a lot better, IMO. It is harder to avoid debris in the road with 3 wheels. Sometimes you have to pick the wheel. I'm getting better at aiming for between the edge of the front wheel and the edge of the rear wheel. If the chipmunk or squirrel is lined up with the road, easy miss. If it's crossways it's not going to happen.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I do not have any issues 2021 RTL S2S stock tires/shocks/sway bar and pressure. I can set cruse at 35 to 70 MPH and just rest my hands on the bars or let go of them all together with minor road slant corrections of course with no issues just like driving a car with no hands on the wheel (for short periods/distance) hundred yards or so. As long as no major ruts in the road or deviations the spyder seems to handle just fine.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    Worse, even a small bump tries to send the Spyder in a new direction, requiring constant steering corrections.
    Have you had your Spyder laser aligned? I don't have that problem at all that I can think of. Insufficient toe-in will cause that problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, three wheels will hit every road imperfection. Worse, even a small bump tries to send the Spyder in a new direction, requiring constant steering corrections. Two wheels wants to go straight, so it self corrects after minor bumps. In fact, two wheels can be ridden with no handlebar input at all, as trick riders often demonstrate. For me, I would go back to 2 wheels in a heartbeat if my legs were strong enough. Still, the Spyder is way better than not riding at all.
    I’m thinking that you possibly may need new tires or a GOOD and PROPER wheel alignment, or possibly need to check the air pressure in your tires. I have never experienced the small road bumps wanting to send me in a new direction....a slanted road yes, but not road bumps. I can set the cruise and unhand the bars and my spyder will motor on straight, just like my ‘wing used to. In my mind, the spyder is an exceptionally good, stable machine.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I’m thinking that you possibly may need new tires or a GOOD and PROPER wheel alignment, or possibly need to check the air pressure in your tires. I have never experienced the small road bumps wanting to send me in a new direction....a slanted road yes, but not road bumps. I can set the cruise and unhand the bars and my spyder will motor on straight, just like my ‘wing used to. In my mind, the spyder is an exceptionally good, stable machine.

~~~I’ve wanted to own a Spyder for quite sometime (since around 08’-09’) but ended up pulling the trigger on the Ryker I currently have. Been getting the itch lately to trade the Ryker in on a Spyder but admittedly, reading too many posts like the two above. That said, I’m not having a go with the authors it’s just that I’ve never encountered the problems a lot of you Spyders riders complain of. I don’t want to jinx myself but after reading posts like above, I probably ought to keep the Ryker and say a prayer of thanks before I crash tonight <LOL>

Look, …I know it’s a decision I have to make, but honestly, I’d like a larger three wheeler yet stay in the BRP stable. If I had a different wife I’d own one of each but that means id have to sell off all my other two wheelers. That said I do have a nice airhead if anyone is in the market for a 92’ R100GSPD

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2021 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Fixed 1st quote display
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you run correct PSI in the tires and get rid of the Kenda's, get it aligned the Spyder is one smooth machine.

Now if you want to take it a step further get some aftermarket shocks and a sway bar and the Spyder is a dream to drive.

Spyder Garage

Jake,
    Out the door and properly aligned the new Spyders are perfectly fine for sane operation. We all come from different 2-wheel histories - mine being SPORT touring (note the CAPS). For me to keep up with my yet-to-be-converted 2-wheeled lunatics, the RT required all the suspension help I could find. Ask yourself how hard do you push the envelope. If you're normal, you get to save beaucoup bucks to buy matching helmets!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

If you have that much reaction from a little bump, you don't have that bike set up for yourself! Or you got to relax a little!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

June 30, 2021
    I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I don't have any real problem with the riding. I just mentioned that the three wheelers just pick up more vibrations because of all three tires on 3 different surfaces. I love my S2S and will continue to enjoy it. Maybe they will come out with an aircycle just like the air boats. Just ride a couple of inches above the road and there goes all the nooks and crannies. LOL.

Motogordo

Spyder Garage

They already have-it's called a Goldwing. Just kidding, although a goldwing rides really nice. You are going to get more vibrations, road feel with 3 wheels vs 2. Enjoy it and safe riding.

Spyder Garage

Plus you need a wide load sigh on the back!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Today, took my Spyder on a windy, bumpy blacktopped road, called the Pacific Marine Route, on Vancouver Island. It is a logging road, but was upgraded to pavement. I have ridden it a number of times with my previous 2 wheeled motorcycle, and it was a great ride, good speed, with lots of twists, but poor pavement with heaves, bumps etc. My 2 wheeler did well, but had to go slow with the Spyder otherwise a very rough ride. That is the nature of 3 wheels, compared with 2.

Rick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    Today, took my Spyder on a windy, bumpy blacktopped road, called the Pacific Marine Route, on Vancouver Island. It is a logging road, but was upgraded to pavement. I have ridden it a number of times with my previous 2 wheeled motorcycle, and it was a great ride, good speed, with lots of twists, but poor pavement with heaves, bumps etc. My 2 wheeler did well, but had to go slow with the Spyder otherwise a very rough ride. That is the nature of 3 wheels, compared with 2.

Rick
    From where to where does this road go, Rick? Might have to try it sometime.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Hey Bruce:

The Pacific Marine route is a network of roads that forms a loop. The paved logging road I was on today is from Honeymoon Bay to Port Renfrew. My ride today was from Duncan to Port Renfrew and return. The loop is very popular with motorcyclists, for the views and twists.

PMRetc.jpg
    Last edited by RickWB; 06-30-2021 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added text

Spyder Garage

I was on that road from Port Renfrew a number of years ago, but not on a m/c but in a car, and have thought that I should try the loop on my Spyder. When I was on it, we just did a trip from Nanaimo down to Port Renfrew, and if memory serves me correctly, it wasn’t paved all the way. Port Renfrew was a great spot to visit and have a bite to eat.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac