Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    This is my conundrum... Why would I buy another 2020-2021 when there are no parts available for them?

As much as I want to own one do I really want to buy back into something that has part scarcity from day one?

I waited 10 years to buy this one, I can wait a couple of more so they can show me they can reliably produce parts.
    So you will forgo riding on the chance that an accessory item is not in stock? Sorry but that makes little sense. Especially with the large aftermarket availability of parts.

Life is to darn short. Buy the motorcycle.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

everything is on back order everywhere not just brp

Spyder Garage

If they insist on totaling it, ask for a buy-back price. Not always an option but that will let you repair it and re-register the salvage title.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfrog View Post
    Glad your OK, I have had my Spyder for a little over two months now after years of riding on two wheels I am still getting use to the clearance thing. I find myself drifting to one side of the road or the other and have come very close to side swiping the curb (no cars) especially in left hand turns. Sitting in the middle of the road is not normal on two wheels and the added distance with the Spyder front end is something I have to constantly be aware of at least for now, until I am fully use to the bike. I still reach for the front brake lever during short notice quick braking.
    Riding a Spyder is a whole new riding curve for us 2-wheelers at first. Ya gotta remember to keep your buggy dead center in your lane and not pick the right or left side(staggered riding) of it like we were taught in riding school. It does take a while, but eventually you will ride right down the middle and enjoy the Hell out of your ride. 50 years here of riding on two wheels, and I have made the adjustment. The brake will become second nature too..... that is one powerful linked brake pedal we have on our Spyders.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quick update: Went to the doctor all checked out ok but my hip has such a big hematoma in it that even my willy is bruised now, luckily it is just something visible and no pain or loss of function as the wife noticed it . Still nothing on the damage assessment on the bike from the dealer.
    I spoke with the adjuster yesterday and he is going to do what he can to keep from totaling it but things are what they are. Just waiting on the numbers to come in.
    CloverCrawler,

Dude! I'm so glad you're here to tell us about it. That was a close call. And, for your sake I'm glad you're willy is still useable! LOL!
    Some observations:
    1. Don't let the friggin dealer push you around on the ordered accessories. Like some have said, I think you need to keep them on order, and get yourself a new ride to install them on, but, if you decide to not do that, hound their butts until they give you the cancellations, and obligatory refunds.
    2. COVID has of course caused a lot of products to experience long backorders, but something that COVID has affected that should make a positive difference for is: The value of used recreational vehicles has increased substantially since the pandemic began. This should result in the insurance company valuing your bike at a much higher dollar rate, which will in turn make paying off your loan more realistic. You couldn't have picked a better time to total a vehicle out, if that winds up being the case. Just know the insurance company is going try to offer as low as they can get away with, so you might have to negotiate with them a higher rate, due to the fact that values have increased.
    3. I encourage you to not let this incident put an end to your riding of motorbikes. Instead, consider it a learning experience to make you a better rider. Most of us long term riders have had experiences here and there that have taught us valuable lessons. Lessons that can only be learned by time in the saddle.
    4. I appreciate your humility, and it shows in the fact that you are admitting that there were some things that you could've done that would've possibly resulted in not crashing. Most riders would not admit that; even though most of the time, it's true. The very first excuse that most riders throw out is "It's all the cages fault". But, you aren't doing that. I admire you for that.
    5. This reminds me of an article I read about 5-6 years ago in Rider Magazine pertaining to motorcycle accidents involving automobiles. The article was about an extensive research that some motorcycle entity (I think it was the AMA, not sure about that) had done. It was an in depth study of all motorcycle accidents that also involved another vehicle, and what actually caused them. The article stated that even though most motorcyclist will say you have to watch out for cars and trucks on the road because they not paying attention, and are actually "out to get us", research actually showed that 72% of the accidents were avoidable, and the chances of the accident happening at all were actually enhanced by rider error. The most common errors we think of are speeding, riding erratically, and dangerous, and such. But, the article spent the most time on the rider error of not knowing and keeping constant awareness of our surroundings, and using the correct protocols of spacing between us and vehicles forward, aft, and each side of us, and approaching, entering, and going through intersections, and the correct protocol for that scenario. It also talked about the rider error of riding at night, which increases the dangers of not being seen. I like the way you're giving some thought to the accident, and what might've been your role in it happening. That's a leap forward toward making your riding safer.

Hang in there. My prayers are for a quick recovery.

Big Lenny

Spyder Garage

Please get your ribs looked at as you could puncture a lung, especially with another fall.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Please get your ribs looked at as you could puncture a lung, especially with another fall.
    He did that - see post #24

Besides, it seems that the latest 'treatment regime' for 'cracked ribs' (as opposed to 'broken ribs' with loose ends &/or jagged bits floating around freely in there ) is simply "Damn, breathing IN is gonna be difficult for a while & they'll hurt for 8 weeks... then they won't hurt any more & you'll be fine"

Been there, done that so often that I know that lot off by heart These days, the Doc just checks them out & then says "Cracked ribs again, you know the drill! What else do you want me to do?!?" There again, unlike many, I do have a direct hotline & priority booking deal with the medics... .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-15-2021 at 08:08 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for all of the good thoughts. Damage estimate came in today 10K+ range .... waiting on the hammer to drop from the insurance company and keeping my fingers crossed they will not total it.

I also had some more results come back in and apparently even though the curb did nothing to my hip my own body is tearing it apart. My osteoarthritis has worsened and I now have a deformed right femur and lateral osteophytes in the hip socket.

Guess I will find out the prognosis for the crawler tomorrow.

PS: Motorcycle Dave if your reading this I already went by and grabbed my Tackform mount off the Crawler when I went to get my tools out of the cowl just in case they total it. There was no way I was letting them take that!

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Life is to darn short. Buy the motorcycle.
    I love that Blue and White setup of your F-3S a lot more than my Black One. If I could of gotten a 2020 or 2021 in that color I would of.

If they total it I may be looking for something like that. As cool as the solid black looked, It was a hell of a job to keep it clean. Every bit of pollen was showing on it this spring.

One thing I will not have to worry about if mine sits out at the dealership if they do not total it and it needs to be worked on. I already put 3 coats of citrus guys butter wax on it over the last month and a half to prep it for the summer sun even though I primarily keep her in the garage.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Okay , the verdict is in. The CloverCrawler will be able to live on! Insurance has authorized the dealership to make repairs and they were ordering parts as I was on the phone with them.

I have already been warned about the delay on parts but they said they will try to get me back on the road as fast as possible. I'll use this thread to document the progress made and what issues if any that I have along the way.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Well this has certainly been a better week for me! I stopped by to check on the CloverCrawler yesterday and had some news that made a great week even better.

The frame and other parts arrived and she is scheduled to be worked on next week. After my ordeal with the passenger seat kit, I thought there was no way that the parts would get here as quick as they did.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Well I guess I spoke too soon, I was forwarded an email from the insurance company requesting a status on the Crawler this week.

Dealer Response...Waiting on parts.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default CloverHillCrawler is down

CloverHillCrawler,

Some other things to consider your insurance paying for is a new helmet at a minimum, new protective gear if it is damaged also. You should not be out of pocket for any of that, should be covered under accessory coverage on your policy. Late to this thread, but as others have said glad your above ground to tell the story.

You might consider a headlight modulator along with a brake light modulator; they go a long way to increasing your being visible to other motorists of all types.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I already have a new helmet and gear compensated by insurance, I just need the Crawler back so I can use it.

I was plenty visible from the front and sides. I have the new led upgrades on the headlights and led fog lights as well as the frunk accent light and led turn signal/side markers all which were on.

The only way I could be more lit was to have a handheld spotlight pointed directly into the truck. I do want to get the tricleds for the bars going along the rear wheel that act as turn/brake signals for more rear visibility. Some of the people that know me have come up behind me at night have said the rear visibility on it is really lacking at the moment with only the tag light/brake light being visible on the back especially with a solid black Spyder.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

The eye doesn't see the whole picture. Your brain fills it in based on what it has seen in the past. In addition your eye catches movement more readily than a stationary object. No matter how many lights you have on the front of your bike it still can appear stationary to the traffic around you. The headlight flasher gives an artifical movement effect thus making you more visible. I have one on my bike and people will tell me that my headlight is flashing. thus telling me I am seen.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

Nothing new to report, Dealership had stated once again work would start last week. I showed up on Saturday to attend a Can-am RT 2021 on road test that they were having there.

Found the Crawler still sitting in the same spot in the back corner of the lot and had not even been touched yet. If I was going to be buying an RT, I really don't think I will be buying it here.

I really dislike being lied to. If you want to tell me you are waiting for parts fine. But don't give me a date if you don't know one. They have done the same thing with the seat that I ordered as well.

When I bought the Spyder in February the seat was delayed by "2 weeks" then that 2 weeks turned into a firm date of April 28 and no calls were ever made to update me on the status and I am still waiting on that so I guess it is a race now to see what gets here first... my passenger seat kit I ordered in February or the repair parts for my accident.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Nothing new to report, Dealership had stated once again work would start last week. I showed up on Saturday to attend a Can-am RT 2021 on road test that they were having there.

Found the Crawler still sitting in the same spot in the back corner of the lot and had not even been touched yet. If I was going to be buying an RT, I really don't think I will be buying it here.

I really dislike being lied to. If you want to tell me you are waiting for parts fine. But don't give me a date if you don't know one. They have done the same thing with the seat that I ordered as well.

When I bought the Spyder in February the seat was delayed by "2 weeks" then that 2 weeks turned into a firm date of April 28 and no calls were ever made to update me on the status and I am still waiting on that so I guess it is a race now to see what gets here first... my passenger seat kit I ordered in February or the repair parts for my accident.
    When the red flags start flying, time to find another dealer. I for one am very sorry to hear of your experiences so far with the current dealer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-26-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well your lucky in that you have two other deals close to you that are very good 1. is in Hanover PA. and 2. is in Berkeley Springs, WV. Hanover is 47 miles form you and WV is 60 miles. Motosports inc. in Hanover Pa. I have used them many times and can say they are very good and know what they are doing when it comes to Spyders, their labor rate and price to do things like laser alignment is much cheaper then where you are going. Now the one in WV I have never been there but I do have a friend that I ride with in the Patriot Guard that has an F3 that he bought there some time a go and that is where he still gos for service. He said they are very good also.
    So I hope you can get your Spyder fixed and not have to go through the whole process of buying new again. I wish you all the best and hope to see you on the road soon.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, I am just wondering if the insurance company will go for moving the bike to a dealer in pa. since they already approved the dealer in very Northern Virginia to do the repairs.

Unfortunately they have already ordered parts, this move would probably put me in the back of the BRP line for parts again and I'm not too sure I want to do that.

I guess I need to make a couple of calls to find out if this is possible.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, I am just wondering if the insurance company will go for moving the bike to a dealer in pa. since they already approved the dealer in very Northern Virginia to do the repairs.

Unfortunately they have already ordered parts, this move would probably put me in the back of the BRP line for parts again and I'm not too sure I want to do that.

I guess I need to make a couple of calls to find out if this is possible.
    I think you may have to just wait it out at this point. But in the future you will know better. You have just not had any luck with finding a dealer yet but you will have options later that a lot of others don't have near by.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I certainly hope so I found this dealer after I went first to JT powersports in Frederick, Md. and got snubbed because I wanted to buy a Spyder. After being invited by can-am to come to that dealership to talk about my purchase I was never contacted by email or phone and when I went by the dealership to make my purchase I stood in the showroom for over 30 minutes waiting for a salesperson. I was even overdoing my interest by laying on the floor and staring up at the bottom of the spyder seeing if anybody would come over to talk. While sitting on the seat 2 sales people walked right by and said "you look good on that " sarcastically and kept on walking to the back of the showroom. I was actually looking at rykers at the time but only f3's were on the showroom floor. When I asked somebody where the rykers were so I could look at them I was told that there were still some in the box and to come back later. I left alright but I never went back. Can-am really needs to take a look at who they have for dealers and the way they support their product.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

The only thing BRP's worried about is getting there rent from the dealerships every month for the bikes they have in the back forty! How and where they sell them is up to the dealership!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Well your lucky in that you have two other deals close to you that are very good 1. is in Hanover PA. and 2. is in Berkeley Springs, WV. Hanover is 47 miles form you and WV is 60 miles. Motosports inc. in Hanover Pa. I have used them many times and can say they are very good and know what they are doing when it comes to Spyders, their labor rate and price to do things like laser alignment is much cheaper then where you are going. Now the one in WV I have never been there but I do have a friend that I ride with in the Patriot Guard that has an F3 that he bought there some time a go and that is where he still gos for service. He said they are very good also.
    So I hope you can get your Spyder fixed and not have to go through the whole process of buying new again. I wish you all the best and hope to see you on the road soon.
    +1 for Hanover, PA Motorsports.... They know Spyders and are extremely reliable. We have bought 3 Spyders from them, and I really wouldn't want to take my Spyder to anyone else for work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't call the dealer. Go there in person. Have a talk to with the Service Mgr and then talk to the Gen Mgr of the store. Have them show you the parts order. Don't be a milk toast, but definitely be polite.

An in person visit is always better and more productive, lying over the impersonal phone is easy, but lying face to face is another story.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2021 at 07:48 AM. Reason: don,t
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I guess this is another story, other than the response to the insurance company which they stated 2 weeks ago they were going to start last week. All updates to me have been in person as that is the only way I get an update is to show up in person once every 2 weeks.

But I am going to take your advice as I am making a return trip back by there after I go to the cardiologist on Friday. I am still having some pain around my chest while working after the accident and I was in the hospital for observation last week. If work hasn't started yet I may ask for the GM as recommended earlier. I am wondering if I should schedule my appointment for after my visit there.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black