Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Same old questions, with a new twist.

We have all been there. You are stopped or parking your Spyder and you get asked; "How do you like that (Spyder)? How does it handle?" Happens all the time. But today was a first-time-Ever.

Today, I was out riding (fantastic weather here in New Mexico) Stopped for ice cream in a small little town. After getting the ice cream, I walked around and went into an Antique Store/Art Gallery down the block and around the corner.

There was a couple in their mid-50s behind the counter. I looked around for a few minutes and just as I was walking to the door, the husband asked; "You ride a motorcycle?" ( I was wearing my motorcycle jacket - the helmet was in the Spyder's trunk)
    Me; "Yes, I do."
    Husband; "Well, what do you think about those motorcycles with the wheels in the front? You know, with two wheels in the front and one in the back?
    Me; "Well, they are pretty interesting - different."
    The husband and wife lit up and started asking things like "How do you think they handle? They look different - are they stable? Do you know what they are called? Where are they made?"

There was no way they could have seen what I was riding. And I could just imagine them asking all the bikers that they ran into about that 'motorcycle with the wheels in front'.
    Me; (smiling) "Well, I happen to have one of those and it is parked over by the Ice Cream Parlor."
    They got so excited. After answering a bunch of questions, I told them I would go get it and park it in front of the store and they could inspect it and sit on it and make up their own minds. You would think that I just agreed to giving up one of my kidneys so one of them could get a transplant.

Lots of questions. Ohhs & Ahhs. After a little instruction, I got on the passenger seat and they both took the Spyder for a little drive around the block. Lots more time spent talking than I had planned, but when I left, I felt I had made some friends and I know they got a chance to share the excitement and enjoyment I feel when I ride the Spyder.

I don't know if they will ever get a Spyder, but I do think they will remember today and the Spyder for a long time and smile. I will.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

a buddy and I were in a parking lot havin a smoke and this huge muscle head comes out of the tanning solon and started asking me questions so I proceded to tell him about all the stuff like power steering, stability control and all the good stuff. His eyes were popping and he said WOW thats amazing,,,that thing is loaded. I said yeah..........even has airconditioning.

..............he said "REALLY???...........thats COOL"

real story............i didnt have the heart to tell him I was just messin with him

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BTW...........I dont know how it applies to your nice story but I remembered it while reading your post
    Last edited by brutus450; 11-08-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Wow you let them ride it?! Nice of you! when I first brought mine to work my friend wanted to ride it so at lunch hour he came by and I got on the back. Was only supposed to go around the parking lot but out the main gate he went and we kept going. He had fun

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That was a very cool thing for you to do, and I am also sure they will remember it for a long time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for you. I'm sure you made their day. Maybe when you go back next spring there will be one sitting our in front of their store.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Woo Hoo!!!

Way to hook more SpyderLovers!!!

Spyder Garage

Had a similar experience last week on my Blue Ridge Parkway. Of course I get the usual that everyone else gets every time I stop at a gas station, etc.

But this time I went to a small Ma & Pa hamburger joint in a small town in NC (can't remember the name but it doesn't matter).

The kicker this time was I went with a family that is related to everyone in town, and is well known by the few that they aren't related to.

Most of the employees at the burger joint were related. So, since I was part of their group seems I got treated like family myself. And everyone wanted to know about the Spyder. My poor buddies beautiful Harley got little notice at all, though it was parked right next to my Spyder.

When I got ready to leave people I didn't know at all came out with me just to look more closely at the Spyder and ask more questions.

The T-Shirt says it all... "I'm not a rock star....I just feel like one when I ride my Spyder"

Got to love it!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The T-Shirt says it all... "I'm not a rock star....I just feel like one when I ride my Spyder"

Got to love it!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you made a GREAT impression for potential Spyder owners !

I've let various strangers ride mine too.

Cool stuff !

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You are a good guy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure you made their day!! Really nice of you to spend the time and even let them ryde it!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I had the Spyder back in the mid-west during my trip from California my aunt barely said "hello" to me before she was all ready to go for a ride.... same way for my grandmother. They both had a blast!

It's a joy to make people happy for sure.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

ambassadors
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I bet there still talking about it.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Finally, something very pleasant to read!

Thanks for sharing

RT-S PE#0174
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

That was a very cool thing for you to do, and I am also sure they will remember it for a long time.

Spyder Garage

you're a good man, Tom. I've let some of my friends try it out but those that I don't care for so much I'll tell them to give me a buck and I'll let them be my b*&!@ Haven't had any takers for that yet!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got tires for my car and had to go back because one kept going flat. The guy who waited on me said the guys say you have a trike. I said yes and he started telling me how his wife wanted him to quit riding crotch rockets and get a goldwing trike but he did not feel he was ready for a goldwing trike yet. I pulled SpydeLovers.com up on his computer and showed him mine. His response was now thats a trike I could get into, But I cant afford the high cost of a trike. So I told him the price and his face lit up "If I cell two of my bikes I could buy that! So I gave him my email and said when you want to test mine just drop a line and bring the wife along. I have not heard from him yet but I am sure I will.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You're a good man Tom. Not many would go the extra mile like you did. You're a credit to our community .. and yours.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    You're a good man Tom. Not many would go the extra mile like you did. You're a credit to our community .. and yours.
    Thanks to all for the compliments, but in the same situation, I am sure you all would have "gone the extra mile".

I actually don't think of myself as a Spyder Ambassador or anything like that. I do remember how it was when I first saw the Spyder and wanted to know all about it. But, recommending a Spyder to someone is ( in my book ) a pretty serious thing, all motorcycling is. I like to share my experiences with those who are really interested and excited, but I don't think I try to sell anyone. I point everyone to SpyderLovers.com and tell them that there are clouds that come with those silver linings.

And while nobody has ever called me shy, I don't go out of my way to talk with people or yak about the Spyder. ( other Spyder riders being the exception ). But at heart, I am a motorcyclist. I love the open roads and the whole experience of riding alone. I really like the thought that others are out there doing the same thing. Despite all our differences, when I am riding, I think of us being friends - like the Elton John song.

I hope the day will be a lighter highway
    For friends are found on every road
    Can you ever think of any better way
    For the lost and weary travellers to go

Making friends for the world to see
    Let the people know you got what you need
    With a friend at hand you will see the light
    If your friends are there then everything's all right

It seems to me a crime that we should age
    These fragile times should never slip us by
    A time you never can or shall erase
    As friends together watch their childhood fly

Making friends for the world to see
    Let the people know you got what you need
    With a friend at hand you will see the light
    If your friends are there then everything's all right

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    - like the Elton John song.
    Tom
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...