Spyder Garage

Default Found a coolant puddle under my Spyder...

Hi all,

Took the Spyders out for a short ride today; when we got home, I opened the garage, and saw a coolant puddle on the floor, where my Spyder was parked. I looked underneath mine, and can see the end of a small hose. It was wet around it's edge and was venting (the bike was still hot at this time). I looked underneath my wife's Spyder and found the same hose, but hers was dry and not venting anything.

I'm not terribly concerned, as we're bringing the Spyders to the dealer for the 600 mile service tomorrow. I've had no overheating problems, either.

I am curious, however, if this is considered "normal." I am not at all mechanically-inclined - I don't know a sprocket from a donut - but it seems to me that the hose is a coolant overflow of some kind...but I don't want it spewing antifreeze on my garage floor.

As we all know, pets think antifreeze is a sweet treat...too bad it turns out to be lethal. The cat's food and litter are in the garage, and I'm afraid of her finding a delicious puddle of poison.

Anyway, I'm sure my dealer will get to the bottom of it, but I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts...

Thanks,
    Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mines doing that too. let us know what you find out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Clamp or Crack in Reservoir

The first time my did that, it was just a loose clamp. The second time, it was because the plastic coolant reservoir bottle had cracked. Those are the two most likely culprits.

Bruce

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If it's coming out of the overflow hose, then the reservoir is most likely overfilled.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    The first time my did that, it was just a loose clamp. The second time, it was because the plastic coolant reservoir bottle had cracked. Those are the two most likely culprits.

Bruce
    I have been through both of these Scenarios but yours just sounds like it is overfilled a bit

Spyder Garage

Usually, if coolant is purging out of the overflow vent tube, it's because the cap is not fully closed on the coolant tank. Just like car radiator caps (or at least GM radiator caps), turning to the first stop is the pressure release to prevent scalding accidents if someone decides to take off the cap while the system is hot and pressurized. You have to push down the cap slightly and turn it about another 1/4 - 1/3 turn closed to have the cap fully closed and maintaining pressure.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Usually, if coolant is purging out of the overflow vent tube, it's because the cap is not fully closed on the coolant tank. Just like car radiator caps (or at least GM radiator caps), turning to the first stop is the pressure release to prevent scalding accidents if someone decides to take off the cap while the system is hot and pressurized. You have to push down the cap slightly and turn it about another 1/4 - 1/3 turn closed to have the cap fully closed and maintaining pressure.
    And that cap can be a bit tricky to close all the way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got my Spyder back from the Shop.. one of the items they had to look at was my coolant leak. They found two loose hoses that were leaking. Simple fix you can do yourself. I was taking mine in anyway so I let them do it.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Good to see you've found and fixed the problem. At least it wasn't someone pouring a bit of coolant, or a bit of oil, or some metal filings, under you machine and you searching for something that hasn't actually happenned.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Coolant bottle # 2 coolant on garage floor today first bottle lasted abput 12k second about 8k I tink they should consider a redesign these things

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Coolant bottle # 2 coolant on garage floor today first bottle lasted abput 12k second about 8k I tink they should consider a redesign these things
    It was the cracked coolant reservoir that was the final straw in my Spyder ownership. I do think it is a design flaw as well. This should not happen.

Bruce