Spyder Garage

Default Rise and fall of temperature

Today I have gone for a ride oc about 200 km. At the end of the first part, (100 km) we stopped to rest and when I started again on first gera I receive the high temperature message and the needle full in red. While looking for the best place to stop at 10 km/h, the error has disappeared and the needle has been sitting directly in the center. I have been able to return without any more problems or temperature rises. Tomorrow I will verify the level of liquids. Any more ideas?
    Thx.

F3 Limited 2018.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-21-2022 at 04:07 AM. Reason: walk - ride & placing - sitting ;-)
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your cooling fans for proper operation…..should come on at 210° F.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-21-2022 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display & °F
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

How hot was the ambient temperature when this occurred?? . When it gets up into the high 30's here in Oz (°C) that 'over-temp on start-up' after a break during a ryde happens a fair bit, especially if you only stop for a short while &/or if you don't let the engine cool off a bit with some slower ryding after a spirited or fast run before shutting the engine down for a bit! And on hotter days, it sometimes even happens if you leave your Spyder parked in full sun!

So if it was reasonably warm & you didn't do a 'cooling off slow ryde' for a few kms before stopping, or if you didn't stop for very long/park the bike in the shade, then that o/heat warning would've probably have been just because the Spyder stopped in the high-ish ambient temps without enough 'cool off' time &/or air flow to cool it down properly before shutting the engine down, so the coolant temp stayed high or possibly even went up due to heat-soak from the engine continuing to heat the coolant! And then as soon as you started the engine again, the coolant started circulating once more & cooling air started flowing/being fan forced thru the radiators as you rode off, so everything rapidly cooled back down to operating temps and all is most likely perfectly fine!!

If this is what happened (or happens again, as it likely will... ) the important thing is that once you DO start moving again, the fans work and the coolant temp drops back into its 'normal operating range' fairly quickly, and it sounds like it did that exactly the way it should've done! You can help minimise or even avoid these o/temp warnings if you try to run things low & slow fror the last couple of minutes of ryding before parking your Spyder (preferably in the shade or with a shade over the dash/top of engine/seat area) & shutting the engine down; and on those warm/hot days it helps to let the bike 'cool off' between hot &/or spirited runs for at least 30-40 mins or so, altho it may need longer to ccol off properly if the temps hit the high 30's, and it's a whole lot more likely to need longer if the ambient temps get up over 40°C!

Of course, it doesn't hurt to make sure the fans are working properly at low speeds/idle and to check that your coolant is working/fresh and that the level is up to the Min level before you start ryding for the day and that the level then remains above that min level all day, but DO NOT TAKE THE COOLANT RESERVOIR CAP OFF WHILE THE COOLANT IS HOT!! Well, not without a large wad of covering material that's going to stop you/your hand etc being hit by the blast of super-heated steam that might escape from the pressurised coolant reservoir if you do choose to remove the cap while everything is flashing 'over heat warnings'!! Do you hafta ask me how I KNOW that taking the pressure cap off a hot coolant reservoir is not a safe practice??! .

Still, from what you describe Mcalva, if it was a reasonably warm day (like many I recall in/near Spain around this time of year... ) then it sounds like you had a perfectly expectable over-heat warning show up and then go away just like it should've with a properly working cooling system! So it all sounds GOOD! . :twothumbs:

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your answers.
    Peter's description matches for the most part what happened. Although the temperature was not excessive for the usual in Spain, 26 degrees Centigrade, it is true we had climbed a mountain on a rather precarious path at a very slow speed. When I got off again it was when I left the bike in the sun and in a few minutes (no more than 5) I started it again.
    My suspicion was that it was a "punctual error" but I did not have an explanation for it.
    All the rest of the way the needle stayed a little over 50%.
    When I got home and before stopping the bike, I waited for the fans to jump and I waited for the cycle to finish. Everything was good. The fans worked.
    I'm going to check levels anyway and will stay tuned.
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark