FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpatsh View Post
    You'll probably love the automatic. It makes it makes riding really easy
    I learned on a Tri-Glide at my class. I was interested in a Free Wheeler. We rented the Free Wheeler after I got my license. I toodled around our neighborhood on mostly 30mph streets. Got her up to 55 a time or two. It was fun, but I never felt confident at all.

Then we went to bike week so I could ride a can am without being pestered at a dealer. I rode them all except the RS, and enjoyed them all. I love my RT and was out on main roads the day we got it.

Long story short: auto all the way!

Spyder Garage

I was specifically looking for an auto to make it easier for my wife. not sure i would buy a manual now.
    Sitting in traffice on my buell will lead to arm cramp and soreness the next few days. bike week on to auto spyder this year was a cake walk.

As others said, test ride both but i think you answered your own question already.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have gotten an amazing amount of expert advice on your question of manual vs. "automatic". I've only owned my '15 RT Limited for a year, so I don't consider myself a member of the expert class. My path to Spyder ownership was a matter of staying in the wind. I took riding up again in 1996. Over the time between 1996 and 2015 I rode 3-Harleys and 2-GL1800 trikes. All were manuals, and I loved the feeling of going up and down thru the gears. An operation intervened in early 2014 on my left forearm and thumb. After taking a 1,000 mile trike trip in the fall, my wife remarked that I was having trouble handling my Hannigan trike. I took her advice seriously and began to research my options. I sold my Hannigan, and bought my Spyder a year ago. I can't deny that I'm having as much fun paddle shifting my Spyder, as I did going thru the gears in my manual bikes/trikes. Like everyone has said "it's what ever floats your boat" with regards to your choice of tranny.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2andia View Post
    I love the Se6 I ride... I still feel a part of it because I'm still shifting and I purposely downshift... Just with my hand instead of my foot... I still have the feeling of control and don't miss the clutch.

I like the auto, all ya gotta do is put it in gear, twist the throttle and shift as fast as you want to , and it down shifting by itself is the thing , during a Emergency stop all you gotta do is hit the brakes, WOW!!! LoVE my SE5, i'll get a SE6 when I wear this one out,LOL

MidnightbreezeLove my Spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got to throw my vote in for the manual. I would prefer to even have a front and rear brake, but a bike without any levers is a jet ski...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tcbracing View Post
    I got to throw my vote in for the manual. I would prefer to even have a front and rear brake, but a bike without any levers is a jet ski...

Hmmmm...does Can Am make jet skis? I live in sunny Florida, so I'm game!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTwyn View Post
    Hmmmm...does Can Am make jet skis? I live in sunny Florida, so I'm game!

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Manual or semi-automatic?

I just vote "Yes"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"To each, his own!" said the farmer, as he kissed his cow!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default SE6

We bought an SE6 model. I wanted the manual but my sweetie has some rheumatoid arthritis and some days it affects her hands badly. So on bad days using the clutch would limit her ability to ride. With the SE6 we are both happy. We get great wind time doubled up or separate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always had the hand clutch and foot shifting till I got the Spyder. The Paddle shifting is the way to go with people with hand issues. I would not go back to manual shifting. You push the paddle and off you go. Auto down shift or you can down shift from the paddle too..

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Got to throw in my vote for the SE5. It's the first time I've heard of a semi automatic bike when i bought the Spyder. I had a bike before so i'm use to shifting through the gears and using a clutch, but with the SE5 you still going through the gears up shifting just with out a clutch to press, and downshifting on it's own is awesome. I like up shifting without coming off the throttle.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP, I believe sells far more SE autos than manuals. I think that says something.
    Resale of the SE will be a lot easier than a manual, I suspect.
    Having had numerous bikes, I was quite accustomed to manuals. Just about every car or truck I've ever owned were manuals. Something like 25 out of 30 vehicles.
    I opted to buy the SE6 after much thought. I would never buy a Spyder with anything else but an SE version now.
    Being new riders, the SE will make your life a bit easier while getting used to the Spyder and I don't think you will be at all disappointed.
    Good luck with your decision.

Gary

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am in the group that prefers manual shifting. It seems like I am more in the ballgame. I also like pulling the clutch when rolling down hills or idling in traffic. I can see the attraction of the semi auto for brand new riders. I agree with Chupaca (on most things) about saving brakes with the manual and letting the engine slow the bike down. Also I was a bit skeptical about the long term reliability of such an automatic clutch system. Regardless get ready for a great ride.

Spyder Garage

We test drive the bike yesterday and it turned out to be a 2013 instead of a 2014. Neither my wife nor I had any issues with the clutch once we got the feel. That being the case it may come down to dollars since we are now going to buying 2 at the same time. Going to the dealer ship tomorrow and see if 2 new can fit into the budget. This is the most fun work I have had in a while.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    We test drive the bike yesterday and it turned out to be a 2013 instead of a 2014. Neither my wife nor I had any issues with the clutch once we got the feel. That being the case it may come down to dollars since we are now going to buying 2 at the same time. Going to the dealer ship tomorrow and see if 2 new can fit into the budget. This is the most fun work I have had in a while.
    If it was the '13, you should definitely try out the '14 or later model. You'll appreciate the bigger engine. JMHO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    With me we're a crowd... I love the control, being able to pull the clutch and coast downhill, use my engine compression and save my brakes (33,000 miles and still within spec's) sliding the clutch for that extra leap to get my butt outta the way. Once rolling upshifting I don't even use the clutch and the asist makes it very easy compared to other bikes....I'm with you guys.....but for a new comer learning to do different things with each limb can be dificult.
    Definitely a crowd if you include me! My F3S is a manual and I love it. My RS-S was a semiauto and I loved it too but most of the time wished it was a manual (except when stuck in super bad traffic for a long time). I do recall a number of people (in the beginning) saying that their semi-auto F3s went into limp mode on the freeway. Maybe those bugs had been worked out but I don't think I'd want to risk it. Besides, you have more control with a manual and more fun IMHO... but definitely test ride both and see what you think. If you do get stuck in bad traffic a lot, maybe a semiauto isn't a bad idea though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwall View Post
    . . . I can see the attraction of the semi auto for brand new riders. I agree with Chupaca (on most things) about saving brakes with the manual and letting the engine slow the bike down. . .
    I'm hardly a 'brand new rider" - been riding since the mid-60's. I love the SE shifter.

As for engine braking, I hate to burst your bubble, but you can do that with the SE as well - all you need do is downshift.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

You do all realise that don't HAVE to let the SE change down for you, you can actually change up & down manually via the flappy paddles & even engine brake with the SE, don't you??

In fact, the SE is the same gearbox as the manual, it's just the SE's have a (slightly) different clutch arrangement & an electronic shifter over the manual box, so that you CAN change up & down safer & faster than with a manual & you CAN'T miss a change or blow up a gear (or anything else) cos you stuffed it!! Pretty much anything you can do with a manual except stuff it up can be done with the SE....

I really dunno what all the fuss is about - there's no real difference between the 2 gearboxes except that with one you use the thumb & forefinger of your left hand, & with the other you use a couple of left hand fingers & your left foot. Oh, and that the entire transport industry is moving towards Electronic Shifters over manual boxes (like the SE) because overall, they've proven to be far more long lasting & reliable (over millions of miles); they've resulted in better reliability & fuel economy from the engines they are running behind; & the vehicle operator is far less likely to be able to break other parts of the drivetrain....

But it really is just your choice

(Edit: Damn, you beat me Dan, I shoulda typed faster! )

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The SE always does engine-braking. You don't even have to manually shift down for this, unless you just want even harder braking at higher speeds. (Well, that's with the 1330... manual-downshift braking is much more useful on the V-Twin.)

Conversely, you can never free-wheel with the SE, that I know of. When you idle the throttle, you are engine-braking all the way down to 3-4mph, where the automatic clutch finally disengages to permit a full stop. If I time things just right, I can approach stop-signs at 50-60mph and not use the brake until I'm down to 1st gear, sometimes 2nd gear if I waited too long to release the throttle. I don't see that the SM would have much advantage over the SE in saving brake pads.

For pushing without the engine, the SE is no problem; it's never holding the machine anyway, no matter what gear it's in. However, this is why you must always use the parking brake, and ya gotta turn the key to release the brake (but not to shift to neutral).
    For the beepless push: 1) turn key; 2) release brake; 3) push; 4) set brake; 5) turn key back off.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    Definitely a crowd if you include me! My F3S is a manual and I love it. My RS-S was a semiauto and I loved it too but most of the time wished it was a manual (except when stuck in super bad traffic for a long time). I do recall a number of people (in the beginning) saying that their semi-auto F3s went into limp mode on the freeway. Maybe those bugs had been worked out but I don't think I'd want to risk it. Besides, you have more control with a manual and more fun IMHO... but definitely test ride both and see what you think. If you do get stuck in bad traffic a lot, maybe a semiauto isn't a bad idea though.
    Did you have the New Clutch valving put in the SM6 because my 2015 F3 Clutch is a pain in the Rear compared to my 2012 SM5?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Question F3 or F3 S - auto or manual?

I know this is an old tread but I have the same question now. I read all the answers here. So rather than a new thread since this one is not closed, I am asking my question here.

I ride a H-D Tri Glide and have been riding trikes for many years. Thinking about getting a second trike (something different). Found H-D Freewheeler a poor fit. About 2 - 4 inches too close to bars from as far as I could go back in seat.

Waiting for nearby dealer to put a F3 (base) together so I can give it a test ride. Other than the fancier gauge cluster which I like, what what make F3 S worth the extra money?

Resigned to giving up hand brake but I think I would prefer a manual since I am use to riding motorcycles with manuals.

New F3, F3 S, and used F3 with manuals seem hard to find in East Tennessee.

Opinions requested.

Coastie
    (a newby to Spyders)

CG.GIF
    2021 F3-S SS , Black, gray, & orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    Seeing that my wife and I are new riders I need thoughts on one vs the other.
    The clutch I tried on a new F3 not running was almost to hard to use.
    You kind of answered your own question. Go with the SE.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    I know this is an old tread but I have the same question now. I read all the answers here. So rather than a new thread since this one is not closed, I am asking my question here.

I ride a H-D Tri Glide and have been riding trikes for many years. Thinking about getting a second trike (something different). Found H-D Freewheeler a poor fit. About 2 - 4 inches too close to bars from as far as I could go back in seat.

Waiting for nearby dealer to put a F3 (base) together so I can give it a test ride. Other than the fancier gauge cluster which I like, what what make F3 S worth the extra money?

Resigned to giving up hand brake but I think I would prefer a manual since I am use to riding motorcycles with manuals.

New F3, F3 S, and used F3 with manuals seem hard to find in East Tennessee.

Opinions requested.

Coastie
    (a newby to Spyders)

CG.GIF
    Test ride both of them. I have an F3-S with manual and I love it, but I also test rode a semi-auto. I can see the allure, but I still prefer manual just out of habit. I also like the fact that I can leave the bike in gear and not HAVE TO put on the parking brake if I don't want to. Good luck with your choice!