Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
The 1330 may be a better engine than the 998, but it's my understanding that the 1330 engine requires premium gas. I long since decided I don't want to buy any vehicle requiring premium gas, not just because of the extra fuel cost but because many gas stations don't even sell it. As an example, the only gas station in my town sells only E-10 and diesel. I did an impromptu check in the larger town nearest here, and of eleven stations I checked only five had premium gas.
I thought it was the other way round?!?

Certainly the 998 V-Twin motors are the higher revving, more 'exciting' to ryde motors (albeit nothing much 'til about 3500 rpm, but then HANG ON & WHOOPEE all the way out to well over 8,000 rpm) especially in the GS/RS/ST versions; while the 1330 Triples in all the F3's & 2014-on RT's are the lower revving & 'lazier' engines that will admittedly pull like a train just off idle but don't ever really startle you or snap your neck, cos they do produce close to max torque right off from about 1000 rpm then hold it pretty much all the way right out to their red line... except that's not much over 5000 rpm.....

And if you get the ECU Upgraded on either, even just if only to take advantage of a bit more of the power & torque BRP took from both powerplants when they de-tuned them significantly for our Spyders, then you will likely see a marked improvement from running higher octane fuel in either motor..... but I didn't think the 1330's really cared all that much in their stock & strangled, de-tuned factory set condition!