Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering problem, did it really happen?

I've been quite busy the past week so I've been away from this site for awhile.
    I am back now and want to share this with you. Last friday while riding home from work on the Spyder something odd happened. The bike started to drift toward the center line. As I tried to bring it back it was like nothing was happening, then all of a sudden it seemed to jerk to the right quite abruptly. My first thought was what the just happened. It all seemed so surreal, the slow drift to the left then the sudden jerk to the right, I wasn't sure what had just happened really happened. I never had any steering problems before or after the update until fridays episode. I have not had the Spyder out since that day(to busy, missed out on three great riding days this week) to see if it would happen again. Should I report this to BRP and the NHTSA?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    I am back now and want to share this with you. Last friday while riding home from work on the Spyder something odd happened. The bike started to drift toward the center line. As I tried to bring it back it was like nothing was happening, then all of a sudden it seemed to jerk to the right quite abruptly. My first thought was what the just happened. It all seemed so surreal, the slow drift to the left then the sudden jerk to the right, I wasn't sure what had just happened really happened. I never had any steering problems before or after the update until fridays episode. I have not had the Spyder out since that day(to busy, missed out on three great riding days this week) to see if it would happen again. Should I report this to BRP and the NHTSA?
    yes

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

yes then to your dealer with it

Spyder Garage

Oh Boy ?
    Happy Owner

PE-1294
    Spyder Garage

Yes it happened... that's how mine started. Be careful and take it to the dealer. They are working on mine now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

I would report it.And wouldn't operate it till fixed

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Yep, report it to the NHTSA and call your dealer about it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

the first up date my bike ran like thats when it ran badly pulling back fireing .the last one was new hampsher going 65 70 road went left I tryed to turn left bike went right first had nothing then pulled hard my cousen was on back we both pulled he pulled my arm while it missed going off cliff on Kangamangus highway becarfull with it . Have them check the aliment bet its off.
    yup it hapend to me and they did 2nd up date my bike was off the aliment was off in computer and they did aliment and pluged it into computer
    it first told them it was off way off then after alining it reset on computer
    runs better no pulling no sloppy stering .no backfireing or hestation at all drove it home ran fine been on it every day mon threw thursday. be safe my friend VT228 Don

Spyder Garage

MXZ, do you recall, perchance, whether the road was crowned significantly to the right or left when this occurred?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
    MXZ, do you recall, perchance, whether the road was crowned significantly to the right or left when this occurred?
    A very good point.. While I had my Spyder I noticed that the road itself plays a role in the way the Spyder steers at times. The times I had issues with my power steering was always a slower parking lot speeds. Then it was very obvious that the steering was binding.

Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuadManiac View Post
    No it was not. This happened on a 7 mile stretch of road I travel to and from work every day. Straight as an arrow, not a single curve. Not much crowning and the pavement is in excellent condition.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here we go again..........

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Ours is doing the same thing only to the right. Has anyone gotten a fix from BRP? Thank you.

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by slather1 View Post
    Ours is doing the same thing only to the right. Has anyone gotten a fix from BRP? Thank you.
    Report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ASAP. You can do it on line www.safecar.gov. The more complaints the government agency receives the better. Maybe then a "correct" repair wil be offered. This issue requires surgery not just a band-aid.