Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Why is it when someone has an opinion that differs from yours, you freak out?

And this forum is a place for ALL opinions - the good, the bad and the ugly.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very concerning…

Funny in a weird way. We had great weather in Houston (sunny 55-70 all weekend) and I just checked my computer for the first time since early Friday. I rode hundreds of miles this weekend, a lot of them over 100 MPH and many twisties too. I had a great time! I am glad that I did not check this thread earlier! My point is, when is your time to go... your will go... on the mean time, enjoy your life, keep your Spyder well maintained, and at the first sign of the computer taking over and fighting you, STOP and try to get it repaired. I they can’t, dump it and move on.

Like QuadManiac I understand computer control. I can’t understand why the programming of something as important as the steering does not have a fail safe code that gives the rider manual unassisted control when the sensors fail or don’t make sense.

I hope we all stay safe and, without riding scared, just raise our awareness of this potential problem and get off the road at it first sign.

3WD

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    When we first started hearing about some steering issues it was from ATADude. He had his Gear Position Sensor replaced. Very shortly afterward, I had the same issues, my steering went from being very hard to then coming back while I was on the highway at 75 mph. Very scary situation. I took my spyder to my dealer along with all the info from AtaDude's thread. They replaced my GPS with no problem and under warranty. This was all before there were any updates released. Ever since the updates, I am not hearing about the GPS anymore, only the DPS. With the update is when they discovered Brian had a problem with his DPS so it is good that they are doing the updates. I am just wondering is anyone still checking the Gear Position Sensor when they are having these steering issues. I have not had any steering issues ever since they replaced my GPS. Just wanted to throw this point out there. The GPS issue seems to have gotten lost in the whole update/DPS unit fix.
    dropped mine off this morning deb.... dealer is replacing GPS on mine ... power steering never worked ... after update it worked erratic....

Spyder Garage

I made some calls and this is being looked into. I should have some answers in a couple of days. It could be as simple as resetting the steering angle sensor and torque sensor but I won't know for sure until they get back with me and I'll be sure to post something on the board.

Way2Fast

I can hear the response from BRP...."Hello, it's a nice day at Bombardier Recreational Products....we will be sure to look into the inconvenience you say you are experiencing" !! My wife is a former employee of BRP and I know first hand how they handle the "testing" of new products. I should have known better than to purchase any of their stuff....but the promo hype on the Spyder over came my common sense! I somehow believed that the malfunctions and problems that were brought to light during testing would be corrected on the production models. I only wish.

I have trouble trying to understand the reasoning expressed by some members on this forum. The steering issue can result in a life and death situation, yet their are those who dismiss it as a minor inconvenience that should be overlooked. There was the joker who stated that motorcycle riding is more dangerous than driving a car (I agree) and goes on to generalize that the additional risk from steering failure is no biggie. Really !!! How about the guy who's Spyder burnt to the ground almost igniting his house in the process. He got another one and did the emission canister mods to prevent it from happening again. Does he love his Spyder so much that he forgets to realize BRP should be making those mods, not the owner. By doing so he just threw his warranty out the window and assumed blame if it happens again. Then there are the other "lovers" who write off all the mechanical and computer problems as "teething problems". They seem so gullible that they would probably continue to worship their Spyders even if the computer screw ups killed their best friend. I guess that can be expected on a website aptly named Spyderlovers.com.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    I can hear the response from BRP...."Hello, it's a nice day at Bombardier Recreational Products....we will be sure to look into the inconvenience you say you are experiencing" !! My wife is a former employee of BRP and I know first hand how they handle the "testing" of new products. I should have known better than to purchase any of their stuff....but the promo hype on the Spyder over came my common sense! I somehow believed that the malfunctions and problems that were brought to light during testing would be corrected on the production models. I only wish.

I have trouble trying to understand the reasoning expressed by some members on this forum. The steering issue can result in a life and death situation, yet their are those who dismiss it as a minor inconvenience that should be overlooked. There was the joker who stated that motorcycle riding is more dangerous than driving a car (I agree) and goes on to generalize that the additional risk from steering failure is no biggie. Really !!! How about the guy who's Spyder burnt to the ground almost igniting his house in the process. He got another one and did the emission canister mods to prevent it from happening again. Does he love his Spyder so much that he forgets to realize BRP should be making those mods, not the owner. By doing so he just threw his warranty out the window and assumed blame if it happens again. Then there are the other "lovers" who write off all the mechanical and computer problems as "teething problems". They seem so gullible that they would probably continue to worship their Spyders even if the computer screw ups killed their best friend. I guess that can be expected on a website aptly named Spyderlovers.com.

No need to get personal. For the record, I am not a "joker". A junkie maybe. I was the risk officer for a Fortune 500 company and I do understand the risks, costs and liabilities associated with various activities, defective products, etc. I did not make excuses for BRP sending out defective products, only recognized that based on statistical probabilities, the odds are that some event other than DPS failure would be likely to kill me. I am one rider who tries to put the odds in my favor. All the gear all the time, don't ride after dark unless absolutely necessary, never drink and drive, never try to take corners fast enought to see if VSS is working, etc. I did not trivialize or say "no biggie" regarding the DPS failure. Just observed that it was another of the many factors that makes cycle riding dangerous. I did not call anyone names or say that the DPS issues wasn't real or a concern, Just observed that riding any motorcycle is dangerous and changing to another thinking that all would be well isn't the case. Like I said in another post, things are really getting bit testy here.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you should start your own 'spyderhaters' website----

Sorry you've had such a bad taste over these issues.

I still love my Spyder and will continue to ride it without worrying about such problems--- then again I just don't worry about much--- life is too short.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sounds like you should start your own 'spyderhaters' website----

Sorry you've had such a bad taste over these issues.

I still love my Spyder and will continue to ride it without worrying about such problems--- then again I just don't worry about much--- life is too short.

You claim to have had the steering issue....from what I read you had an issue with the GPS or Gear position Sensor. This is night and day from the total loss of control many of us are experiencing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On another post you keep on saying that only a very few are experiencing any issues with their Spyders. How would you know? Do you have any concrete facts to back up that statement?

As I see it, in some instances failing to worry about very important issues will make life even shorter !!!

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    No need to get personal. For the record, I am not a "joker". A junkie maybe. I was the risk officer for a Fortune 500 company and I do understand the risks, costs and liabilities associated with various activities, defective products, etc. I did not make excuses for BRP sending out defective products, only recognized that based on statistical probabilities, the odds are that some event other than DPS failure would be likely to kill me. I am one rider who tries to put the odds in my favor. All the gear all the time, don't ride after dark unless absolutely necessary, never drink and drive, never try to take corners fast enought to see if VSS is working, etc. I did not trivialize or say "no biggie" regarding the DPS failure. Just observed that it was another of the many factors that makes cycle riding dangerous. I did not call anyone names or say that the DPS issues wasn't real or a concern, Just observed that riding any motorcycle is dangerous and changing to another thinking that all would be well isn't the case. Like I said in another post, things are really getting bit testy here.
    I now understand better where you are coming from. I'm also a rider who, like yourself, tries my best to put the odds in my favor. Sorry that I got the wrong idea from your other post.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suggest we take a break from the guesswork, assumptions and name-calling, and instead respect Lamonster's post (about six above this one) and let him run with this issue. I for one completely trust he'll stay on top of it for us all.
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I now understand better where you are coming from. I'm also a rider who, like yourself, tries my best to put the odds in my favor. Sorry that I got the wrong idea from your other post.
    As I said, I was in the risk management business and for me to ride motorcycles is a real tension between my personal and professional sides. There has never been a year where a close call of some sort hasn't had me ready to give up riding, but close calls never became actual incidents. Loss of steering might do it for me, but as I said in the original post, deer are out to get me right now. I value this site because without it I am left to my dealer 60 miles away and with the range of products he carries, he cannot be as helpful as this site is. I look to the site for help, advice and even criticisim if I say something wrong, but if my words are misconstrued, I feel obligated to explain what I meant. Thanks for reconsidering my intent.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a premier owner and it happened to me. I got mine right after they finished doling out the Permiers AND it didn't happen until last month.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhd3 View Post
    The discussion/thread on the on going steering mishaps w spyders merits some serious looking into.It goes beyond just computer up dates and program redos.When I read the most recent ones,I feel that the BRP/CANAM engineers are looking for the quick fix instead of trying to really get to the heart of the situation.As premiere owners of the FIRST spyders to hit the market,we should be given the utmost consideration with our vehicle problems and not just bandaid fixes and patches.This is the FIRST of the line and theFIRST to be judged by the riding public.The premiere owners are the ones who are promoting the product,the ones who are putting the bike through its paces and doing the mods ,etc:so that the product continues and is seen by the public.We are the pioneers of the spyder marketing and recognition.People the likes of Lamont,NoMagicNeon,Kewell,ETC;have done so much to promote the spyder and make fine products and address mods and bring a whole community of owners together,no other site or community has done something as extensive as this.WE ARE THE BIRTH OF THE SPYDER RIDER COMMUNITY!Without us there would be no RS edition or any other addition to the spyder market.All of the ideas on the 2010 spyders are the result of this very community and all those who like and revere their premiere edition spyders,like myself.So we should expect no less then the utmost in service from the parent company when it comes to serious problems concerning the safe operation of the vehicle we purchased.LETS ALL STICK TOGETHER ON THIS AND GET THE ANSWERS TO ALL THE PROBLEMS THAT PLAGUE THE SPYDER ESPECIALLY THE SAFE OPERATION ISSUES AND FORCE THEM TO PERMANENTLY FIX AND NOT PATCH THEM UP.WE ARE THE PREMIERE OWNERS,IN MY OPINION,THEY OWE US.ALL PREMIERE SPYDERS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED TO BE LOOKED AT FOR ALL THE FACTORY SHORT COMINGS AND GET THE PROBLEMS FIXED RIGHT.FOR THEM IT IS FIX NOW OR THERE MAYBE CONSEQUENCES LATER IN THE FORM OF A LOST LIFE/LIMB OR CLASS ACTION SUIT.Sorry so harsh and maybe unrealistic but remember the PINTO?

Spyder Garage

You claim to have had the steering issue....from what I read you had an issue with the GPS or Gear position Sensor. This is night and day from the total loss of control many of us are experiencing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On another post you keep on saying that only a very few are experiencing any issues with their Spyders. How would you know? Do you have any concrete facts to back up that statement?

As I see it, in some instances failing to worry about very important issues will make life even shorter !!!
    My steering problem was about as serious as you can get. Erratic pulling, fighting me in turns - kicking on and off--- and yes --- almost caused an accident. Same type of things as others have had --- but perhaps a different cause. You can read my very strong letter to the NHTSA on their site if you want to. About 6 or 8 of us took the time to contact them -- and the recall happened a few months later.

It's not that the issue (when it occurs) isn't serious - it's that most have not had the issue. Those that do have it - report it and get things fixed.

I just don't go out of my way to worry about things until they actually happen. I'll be educated and aware - but worrying has never done any good--- for me. I honestly don't worry about how long my life will be - it could end tomorrow and I would be perfectly happy. Sure - it would be nice for it to continue --- but I'm not about to live in a vacuum sealed safe room.
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-19-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I don't see me having a problem with it. After all, I was pretty good at beating up grown men back in my bartending days when I had to and I've kept myself in pretty good shape..... If I can lift a grown man up against a wall while continuously kicking him in the You Know Whats, then I think I can handle a Spyder w/ no power steering.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The only thing required to remove if you want 100% manual steering is a fuse. Might work okay for most of the guys ----- but I'd personally be afraid of any woman that could handle it--- maybe even have the Olympic committee do a sex-test on her----

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I don't see me having a problem with it. After all, I was pretty good at beating up grown men back in my bartending days when I had to and I've kept myself in pretty good shape..... If I can lift a grown man up against a wall while continuously kicking him in the You Know Whats, then I think I can handle a Spyder w/ no power steering.
    Between that statement, your views on Ralph Nader and your picture in the Harley trike I concluded that you are a keeper! HDX is a lucky guy!

3WD

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon View Post
    Between that statement, your views on Ralph Nader and your picture in the Harley trike I concluded that you are a keeper! HDX is a lucky guy!

3WD
    Oh, he's got a pic of me on that in his album, huh? Yeah that was in Gettysburg - on our way home from the BBQ. He's the only one I can't beat up though LOL - his reflexes beat mine and I thought I was good!

Way2Fast

Actually there are two fuses that have to do with the DPS (power steering). The one that has been mentioned is the F4 (5 amp) in the fuse box under the removable front service cover. The other is a 40 amp in the rear fuse box under the seat. Removing either of these fuses might set off error codes that will need to be reset by the dealer. Has anyone tried to just remove the front fuse? Did it set off an error code?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    what is wrong with you?

You have to ask.

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default mommalongleg... prior to the update...

one of my 08s would be steering normal and before you could react it would dart left or right without warning. Having experienced this phenomenon first hand I can see how it could be deadly to a new rider or someone without the strength to stop the direction change or force it back after it started. We have two 08s and an 09 and only this one had this problem.

Since the update that little nuisance seems to have departed.

Any new machine, just like a computer program, has to be debugged. Even with its little quirks I still think my Spyder is a blast to drive.
    Last edited by krb1945; 10-19-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    what is wrong with you?
    Nothing a little Spaghetti Dinner cannot cure----

Ramen !

Alignment Specialist
    Spyder Garage

I'm not believing anything unless it's filed with the NHTSA...anyone can get on here and make up a story...they're not verifiable and filing creates an issue where an investigation can take place.

This doesn't mean I'm calling anyone a liar for all of you who blindly believe everything you hear/read, this just means nothing matters unless there is verifiable proof.

Enough said...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    I'm not believing anything unless it's filed with the NHTSA...anyone can get on here and make up a story...they're not verifiable and filing creates an issue where an investigation can take place.
    Anyone can go to the NHTSA website and file a report also about anything they want......

Enough said...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This thread scares the hell out of me. I was a confident rider sometimes in excess of 100 miles per hour (rarely) but my speed demon manner will have to wait until these steering issues are resolved. And please, it's my choice to rider her hard so please don't start the lectures. We all die someway but hopefully not at the hands of BRP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post

This doesn't mean I'm calling anyone a liar for all of you who blindly believe everything you hear/read, this just means nothing matters unless there is verifiable proof.

Enough said...

Exactly--- and the NHTSA doesn't show 1 single Spyder related injury.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sleepman View Post
    Anyone can go to the NHTSA website and file a report also about anything they want......

Enough said...
    Um---- yeah--- if they're into breaking federal laws they can.

You have to enter VIN's, personal info, etc. - and they track your IP address when you do it all.

Doubtful many people would chance doing such a thing illegally.