Spyder Garage

Default I laughed, I cried. I picked up my Spyders today...

Picked up my Spyders from the dealer today. I got a Full Moon '09 SE5, my wife got a Millennium Yellow '09 SE5. The drive home from the dealer was approx. 52 miles. At around the halfway point, my wife starts beeping her horn; I look in the rearview, and she's waving at me to pull over. We pull into a lot, and her Spyder is displaying, "LIMP HOME VSS ERROR CHECK DPS"

I shut the bike off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. Error was cleared, and we continued on our way. Less than a mile later, the error came back. We did the same thing: stop, shut down, wait, start up. Error gone. Get back on the road. Less than a mile later, error comes back. Let's try it one more time. Now, the error won't clear.

Since we were past the halfway point, we continued home, not taking the bike over 38 mph (the manual says 46, but I wanted to be extra cautious). I called the dealer, and told them about the problem. My sales guy was surprised, and a little embarrassed, I think. I said they need to come and get the vehicle. He said he'd call me tomorrow.

I've read about this error on the forum, but I don't think it's happened to anyone with only 22 miles on the odometer. I checked the relays in the fuse box; they were secure, and there is foam in the fusebox cover. I swapped the headlight relay with Main Relay 1 and Main Relay 2, but got the same problem. That's the extent of my troubleshooting ability - now I guess I wait for the dealer to pick up and then troubleshoot/fix.

Does anyone have any ideas of stuff I could look at (I am not very mechanically savvy)? Or at least, does anyone have any words that might make me feel better? This takes the the shine off what was otherwise a great day.

Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

There have been reports of a DPS fault code after the dealer does the DPS update. They may have done the update as part of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). If this is the case, the dealer will have to do the update over again. It only takes a few minuets.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default That's a shame, but..

I am sure the dealer will rectify the problem quickly. The likeliest culprit is a bad sensor, possibly the gear position sensor, or as Spyder1026 said, it might be the DPS update. Either way, they should be able to determine the problem after hooking the Spyder up to the BUDS computer analysis. Very annoying, but the dealer should be able to track down the problem and get you on your way ASAP.

Bruce

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bummer

I'm sure the team at 3A will be all over this tomorrow.

My 09 Full Moon SE5 is running great, but I am going in for the update to the update on Wednesday...to be sure I am current with BRP.

Would love to ride with both of you as soon as you are back in business.

Spyder Garage

I'd say they will have it fixed Chop-Chop!

All of us have been the guinea pigs for this kind of thing helping to educate the dealers to where most of them can pinpoint and fix whatever pretty quickly now without all the search and destroy missions required in the beginning.

Congrats on your purchase. Too bad you had a rough start but all's well that ends well.

I'm sure you'll be on your way soon.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    I am sure the dealer will rectify the problem quickly. The likeliest culprit is a bad sensor, possibly the gear position sensor, or as Spyder1026 said, it might be the DPS update. Either way, they should be able to determine the problem after hooking the Spyder up to the BUDS computer analysis. Very annoying, but the dealer should be able to track down the problem and get you on your way ASAP.

Bruce

and congrats on your purchases, son't worry, these really are awesome machines, and you're dealer will get it figured out in no time.
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

But whatever happened to a road test after prepping I'm sure they will get right on it though

Spyder Garage

Hope you are back on the soon.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

on your purchase and I hope your problem gets resolved quickly.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I hope you are all right, and my dealer will resolve it quickly. My biggest concern is timing; I live 52 miles away from the dealer. They need to come up here with a trailer or flatbed to get the Spyder, and then I'll want them to truck it back. I haven't heard from anyone yet this morning, but I'm really hoping they can get it all done this week, as it is supposed to be cold and rainy. I could get back in the saddle next week if they finish it quickly...

Roaddog2, good question about a road test after prepping. My wife's odometer read 1 mile when we picked up the Spyders. I will ask them to take it for a ride - hopefully they can put 20-25 miles on it - after they do whatever fix they need to do.

Keith
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 manual and within the first mile of use it went into limp mode. I pulled over and shut it down and called the dealer and after about 10 minutes restarted it and never had a problem again. I now have 4500 miles. I hope you have as good of luck as I. Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and perhaps the computer will reset.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

welcome and on your new s. Sorry to hear that your first experience had some bumps. As the others have stated, I sure that your dealer will have it resolved quickly and have it back on the road in no time.

David

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kravnh View Post
    Picked up my Spyders from the dealer today. I got a Full Moon '09 SE5, my wife got a Millennium Yellow '09 SE5. The drive home from the dealer was approx. 52 miles. At around the halfway point, my wife starts beeping her horn; I look in the rearview, and she's waving at me to pull over. We pull into a lot, and her Spyder is displaying, "LIMP HOME VSS ERROR CHECK DPS"

I shut the bike off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on. Error was cleared, and we continued on our way. Less than a mile later, the error came back. We did the same thing: stop, shut down, wait, start up. Error gone. Get back on the road. Less than a mile later, error comes back. Let's try it one more time. Now, the error won't clear.

Since we were past the halfway point, we continued home, not taking the bike over 38 mph (the manual says 46, but I wanted to be extra cautious). I called the dealer, and told them about the problem. My sales guy was surprised, and a little embarrassed, I think. I said they need to come and get the vehicle. He said he'd call me tomorrow.

I've read about this error on the forum, but I don't think it's happened to anyone with only 22 miles on the odometer. I checked the relays in the fuse box; they were secure, and there is foam in the fusebox cover. I swapped the headlight relay with Main Relay 1 and Main Relay 2, but got the same problem. That's the extent of my troubleshooting ability - now I guess I wait for the dealer to pick up and then troubleshoot/fix.

Does anyone have any ideas of stuff I could look at (I am not very mechanically savvy)? Or at least, does anyone have any words that might make me feel better? This takes the the shine off what was otherwise a great day.

Keith
    that sucks.... when we picked up my girls she was so excited on the way home hers just quit running ...ended up being a 50 amp fuse under the seat but they had to come tow it back to dealer very disappointing but better it happens now than later...

Spyder Garage

I just got off the phone with Jim, my sales guy. He is waiting for another service guy to show up so they can send a truck up to get the sick Spyder. I told him what I had learned here on the forum, that it may just need the update re-run, and thought if the update is run from a laptop, perhaps they would just need a housecall instead of pickup and dropoff service. He said that the service dept. would rather have the bike down there, and be able to take it for a road test after. I agreed that was the best solution. Hopefully I'll see a truck today to come and get the bike...
    2009 SE5 , Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I believe there have been problems using a laptop to download the updates...

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSPSpyder View Post
    My dealer uses a laptop w/o any problems. Has it powered via 120 volt outlet - does not rely on battery....

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSPSpyder View Post
    Only if you fail to use an external power supply or forget to turn off your screen saver. Anything that causes the laptop to hibernate will FUBAR the update.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Doesn't give you that warm fuzzy feeling .... but hang in there. Hope this is just a one time thing. welcome
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully they will get it straightened out for you quickly, and you can get back on the road together after the rain stops.