Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Packing the RT for a trip

I have never had to pack the RT for a 3 day trip. Ryding from Phoenix to Vegas for March Madness. I will be staying in a hotel. I've been thinking about flying but the scenery is so nice in Northern Arizona that I want to ryde.

Ok, I do not have a luggage rack on the trunk. My options are the frunk,trunk, and 2 side compartments....unless I tie something down on the backseat. I don't have a gym bag or anything like that...although I think I need one for this so I can stuff it in one of the compartments. I'm not worried about having enough space to take what I need....just to carry it from the bike to the hotel and back.

Am I missing anything?
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Are you asking what kind of bag will fit into the Spyder's compartments?
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

The luggage that fits in the frunk is all you would need for 3 day trip..fits perfect and is just like a carry on with handle and wheels...

Spyder Garage

Each spring my wife and I take a roughly two week tour on our pair of Spyders. We've discovered that even for a two week tour there's plenty of space for all we seem to need. We bought Hopnel soft bags for the trunk and two side bags plus the frunk (though we decided not to use that one). We put take-in-to-the-hotel stuff in the two side bags, then store our helmet in the right side bag and jacket in the left side bag or the frunk. We usually keep our Spyder half covers in the frunk during the day, and rain gear. The rear trunk carries small tool kit, jump pack, tire pump and repair kit, cable locks, and whatever other stuff we take that isn't usually needed. It's also where we cram whatever trinkets we pick up along the way. This is just one way to pack but it's served us rather well during our travels.

At one time we had given serious consideration to getting a trailer (her Spyder has hitch and wiring) but thus far we manage two week tours without the need for one.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Here are the BRP side bags with handles. Very nice to use. We pack with them all the time. https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is an aftermarket same bag but not much cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Hopnel-HCSL-S.../dp/B00CIVU0K4

Hopnel also makes a frunk and rear trunk bag. BRP makes a front bag with wheels. Very nice.

I personally put all my close in the sides and funk with a cooler and leave the rear open. You can really stuff a lot of stuff in the side bags. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Spyder Garage

It amazes me what I can fit in the fitted soft sided Can-Am side bags. And they are not that expensive. Easy to carry into the room. Most of the time one side is not stuffed so I just put the rain gear behind it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have been riding 2-wheelers for over 40 years. Most of them have had saddlebags and trunk. The two of us can EASILY pack for a 1-week trip in them. Having the luxury of a frunk just adds to what you can carry.

When she started riding her own bike, it was even easier. She could pack HER bike, I would pack MINE. If it didn't fit, it didn't go.

The big trick is not taking nearly all of what you think you "need".

Spyder Garage

DSCN2711.jpg Kuryakyn bag behind the seat works well ....even if you blow a tire and replace both fronts, you have room for the spare. Ha Ha
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you like the idea of keeping your stuff in a duffel bag, Hopnel makes saddlebag and trunk bags that are inexpensive and it perfectly. They have handles that make them easy to grab and carry in and out of a hotel, can be found and Big Bike Parts and JP Cycles.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I concur with the Hopnel bags. I bought all of them, but do not use the big front bag.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-pc-se...YAAOSwnDZT81C0

The small bag that's supposed to go in the Frunk with the big bag makes a great toolbag. I put all my rarely/intermittently used items in the Frunk, like the chocks (in case the parking brake fails), half cover, window cleaning supplies, paper towels, rain gear, etc. That way I can adjust the ride height once using the Baja Ron front shock adjusters and it will keep everything on on even keel. The 2 saddlebag liners along with the small rear trunk liner are more than adequate for the trip to the room.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Hopnel bags and the trunk rack ( in Safety Chrome) for the cover, rain suits, misc. stuff are all we need for a 2-3 week trip. Easy to carry in.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Arion's suggestion about Hopnel bags is a very good idea. Lamonster Garage has them all on sale. There is one for frunk, trunk, and two side saddlebags. All can be had for about $100.

They can be stuffed and will fit into each compartment as desired.

One of the big things about packing for a trip is overpacking. Keep track of what you use and don't use on that first trip...that is a good guide for future trips.

I am always a minimalist. One big "soft" bag gets most all of my stuff for a week. If I forget something, that is what Walmart is for.

I am not a "tools" person. That is what the cc and the phone is for. Happily...I have not had to call on either.

Extra riding gear is a must. Something for the rain and something for those cold spells.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On my 998? Engine RT I put the extra qt of oil in the center of the frunk. I also keep my small bottle of wndsheild cleaner and small travel size spray shine with micro fiber towels. I could get buy with only 2 towels... I just wash one everynight at the hotel room. Then I fit my cold clothes/layers in the room left in the frunk.

The rain clothes I put in bottom of trunk and then tried to leave the rest of the trunk open to throw my purse or jacket or what ever trinkets I buy for the day.

The two side bags I kept my daily clothes in. Through out the trip it varies but I always pack one side with my meds, toiletries, on set of clean clothes and jammies. My theory is if it is raining or I feel unsafe I just can do a quick grab of the one side if needed.

Since having my F3 the space is less so i bought a bag for behind the driver. I pack what I need for the night in it so I can just grab and go fast into hotel if needed. Otherwise I pack the about the same but don't bring as much oil . The rain gear goes in a side compartment.

Have fun! Everybody seems to find what works the best for them.

Spyder Garage

I'm also in the minimalist Hopnel bag clan. I also eschew Levis because they're too bulky IMO. I use a CPAP machine that takes up my left saddle bag along with 54 oz of distilled water for the critter that gives me six nights on the road before I have to resupply. My rain gear and extra upper torso layer and cold wx gloves go in a Hopnel bag in right saddlebag. All my clothing and small laptop go in Hopnel frunk bag with complete touring tool kit in the small, lower Hopnel bag in trunk and larger, upper Hopnel bag with snacks,odds and ends, one book, etc. in it has never been full. I can tour for weeks on end with the set up. I ride solo.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

For the Hopnel travel bags to fit the Spyder, Value Accessories has them at a discounted price. They are a sponsor and listed on the home page. I am leaving Saturday for San Diego with a large group of friends, bikes and trikes . I will pack tools and needed things during the day while riding in the trunk. Rain gear goes on the luggage rack on top of the trunk. CPap and diabetes kit go on the passenger seat. Clothes go in the RT Limited cases in the sides and drinks and groceries will go in the frunk. I have 3 pouches on top of the dashboard and air gauge, sun glasses and flashlight go there. In the glovebox, controller for heated gear, and misc junk. Sun screen clips to a bar on the rack. Extra gloves and glasses go in the pockets on the rain gear bag on the trunk.

Don't worry too much about the packing. You will learn what works best for you as you get to do this more often. And you will get to do it more often right?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Plenty of room in a Spyder to take gear for a good long multi-day ride. Stuff you'll need often go on top. Seems obvious, but I've seen folks have to dig into the bottom of their bags for something they want each gas stop.
    When I go on a trip for a few days on the RTL I'll put gear for rain/cold/heat in one or both saddlebags. Items I probably won't use until the destination go into the frunk as it is low and it's easier not bending too far.
    In the rear trunk is the stock toolkit, a lithium battery jump starter, and a small roll up bag with handy but occasionally used things like a small flashlight, 5' of duck (or duct, if you prefer) tape, hand wipes, glasses cleaner wipes, extra cord for the GPS and phone with chargers, and other sundries. These take up about 3" in the bottom of the rear trunk and live there permantly. Above that might go clothing I'll change on a daily basis, and on top of the divider, things I think I'll need often during the day - sunscreen, a hat, gloves, dry snacks and such. If I'm alone I have a small cooler that gets strapped to the back seat with pop or soda or whatever it is called in your area, a sandwich or two and snacks that can melt or need be kept cool. The cooler I have has a shelf that is placed by the top to keep things the snacks and such from getting wet. Below that go the beverages and plenty of ice. I usually don't take water - before a trip I clean the cooler inside and clean the cans. I load it with ice, and as I need to replenish the water bottle I take melt water from the cooler, add some ice and I'm good to go with my Bubba Sport Hero bottle until the next gas stop. If we go for longer trips due to health concerns we trailer to the destination then enjoy the riding when we get there. No packing worries with the truck and trailer.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Default Dry bag

When the wife and I travel, we use the bags that we kept from our 2013 Limited. You will be surprised at how much will fir in them. We also have the Show Chrome luggage rack that we put our rain gear, full cover, and some other miscellaneous items in, then strap that to the luggage rack. Make it nice that the rain gear is dry when we need it. As a solo rider, you could strap it to the passenger seat. Have a great trip!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Don't over do it, you'll need LESS than you think. As the old saying goes; take half the clothes and twice the money.
    + I have toured hundreds of thousands of miles and am no fan of fitted case bags. You only need toiletries and a change of undies in the motel room, plus some "wants."
    + For only three days - or even a week - all you really need will fit in one of your bike's trunks.
    + If you don't mind the look, a reusable grocery bag - or similar - will do for what you NEED to take into the room.
    + I'm a cheap bastard and I recommend checking out thrift stores for smallish bag or tote. I have better things to do with my money that spend on pricey luggage that will get little use.
    + Always pack rain gear - it doubles as a wind breaker too.
    + Everything you pack should have two or three uses, because you are going to layer. Add layers when cold, subtract when warm.
    + Chances are you will be wearing the same pants and other clothing when you get back home, unless you have a whoopsie. So carry only one spare.
    + Always carry a tire repair kit and air compressor, and/or have AAA+ road service.
    + Always have in your bike two 12 mm combination wrenches in case the parking brake won't release.
    + have fun, I envy your ride - nice country northern Arizona.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Small basic first aid kit is my only add to everything above. I'll also use gallon or quart sized freezer bags filled with ice to keep things cool and as mentioned above makes a great water source along the way.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I've gone out for two weeks with my wife. The Can-Am bags are very space inefficient, and I sold mine the day they arrived. The Hopnel bags are a bit cheap (be careful with the zipper) but are otherwise ideal to maximize the storage and easy to move around. They are also cheap, and I think i found mine on eBay.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I hit the road on our RT for as long as six weeks at a time. She has a duffel that fits in the frunk with her clothes. I take the right saddlebag for my clothes. The left bag carries rain suits and heated jacket liners. The trunk gets the odds and ends like tire repair stuff, half cover, and toiletry bag. We have dedicated (Tourmaster) riding clothes so we don't need to pack a lot of off the bike clothing. laundromats are everywhere. Wal-Marts are everywhere. A three day trip for us would require one saddlebag. Take what you think you will need and keep track of what you actually do use. I'm willing to bet half the stuff you pack will never get used. Use that knowledge on your next adventure.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I was on 2 wheels, I learned to take old t-shirts, underwear and socks. At the end of the day, the "dirty" stuff was thrown away with the exception of the t-shirt. I used the shirt to wipe down the bike in the morning and then threw it away. This left space for anything that I purchased along the way.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    When I was on 2 wheels, I learned to take old t-shirts, underwear and socks. At the end of the day, the "dirty" stuff was thrown away with the exception of the t-shirt. I used the shirt to wipe down the bike in the morning and then threw it away. This left space for anything that I purchased along the way.
    Now that is a very good idea.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Roll everything real tight and rubber band them to take less space. Instead of lying flat, stand the rolls vertically, so you can see items easily, instead of having to root through them. Roll jackets and larger items and secure with mini bungees or Velcro straps.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a friend (Yes, really!) whose wife is a notorious over-packer. Anything longer than overnight she has to have the hairdryer, curling iron, makeup bag and other non-essential notions and sundries. For the longer trips he has a trailer named Bob, after his spouse: Barbs Overnight Bag
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue