Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder running like crap!

So Saturday I kind of noticed my spyder running a little rough. It was very hesitent and seemed to not stabalize till i was at 5k RPMS or more no matter what gear. Taking off you could feel it trying to go forward then backing off then forward again. The only time this doesn't happen is if I go full throttle to get it up to about 5k rpms and then keep it around there. Any Idea's what could cause this? A bad plug? Another Exhaust Leak?

Well tonight i took it out about 15 miles just to pick something up from Best Buy and see how it would act and its gotten worse. Now when i start it the idle is about 900 for about 15-30 seconds then it stables out at 1300. It has ALWAYs been between 1350 and 1500 now it never hits 1450 even barely touches 1400 rpms at times when idle.
    Last edited by zzneonzz; 06-25-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    So Saturday I kind of noticed my spyder running a little rough. It was very hesitent and seemed to not stabalize till i was at 5k RPMS or more no matter what gear. Taking off you could feel it trying to go forward then backing off then forward again. The only time this doesn't happen is if I go full throttle to get it up to about 5k rpms and then keep it around there. Any Idea's what could cause this? A bad plug? Another Exhaust Leak?

Well tonight i took it out about 15 miles just to pick something up from Best Buy and see how it would act and its gotten worse. Now when i start it the idle is about 900 for about 15-30 seconds then it stables out at 1300. It has ALWAYs been between 1350 and 1500 now it never hits 1450 even barely touches 1400 rpms at times when idle.
    Sounds a lot like bad gas to me.

But, it could be fouled plugs, dirty air filter, clogged fuel filter... any number of things including one of the dreaded sensors.

Did you fill up shortly before the degraded performance started?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hrmmm I hadn't even thought of bad gas causing this but now that you mention it I did fill up shortly before the problems started. Its time to fuel up again now though. Wonder if it would clear up once i get gas if that was the culpret.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Hrmmm I hadn't even thought of bad gas causing this but now that you mention it I did fill up shortly before the problems started. Its time to fuel up again now though. Wonder if it would clear up once i get gas if that was the culpret.
    If it had water in it, you may still have problems. Try some fuel stabilizer (Stabil, Sea Foam, etc.) or maybe some drygas.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking the same thing--Bad Gas and if this is the problem I would treat the new tank with a small about of Sea Foam.. Sea Foam can be bought at your local Wal-Mart for about 7.00 bucks a can but will last a long time and you don't need to use much, be sure to plan in accordance to your ride,, What I mean is don't treat your gas then drive 200 miles right away to run it all out,, its best if you can let a tank last through out a week or so.. Let us know what you did for your problem..

Hope this works and good luck

Joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up I will give that a shot. I'll head over to Wallyworld and pick up some SeaFoam. I had a nice ride planned for tomorrow but a bit leory of taking the spyder after these issue's so i'll fill the tank put some SeaFoam in and just let it rest till Sunday. Then hopefully all will be better if not its going to the dealer First thing Tuesday.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up I will give that a shot. I'll head over to Wallyworld and pick up some SeaFoam. I had a nice ride planned for tomorrow but a bit leory of taking the spyder after these issue's so i'll fill the tank put some SeaFoam in and just let it rest till Sunday. Then hopefully all will be better if not its going to the dealer First thing Tuesday.
    Be sure and ride it some after adding the SeaFoam. It needs to get through the entire fuel system.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Be sure and ride it some after adding the SeaFoam. It needs to get through the entire fuel system. I have a fule filter see threw if I get watter in gas I can see it in filter best $1.30 ever spent .But Bad gas well make it run like $#%t have to get dry gas in her or stable lizer Don....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well tonight after work I took her up to fill her tank and add some seafoam. I then went for a 50 mile ride shortly after and now she is back at the house and cooling off! Will probably go for another ride tomorrow evening and see how things turn out. Thanks again for everyones input.

Spyder Garage

Default PERFECT

Thats a GREAT point NancysToy to run it a bit.. Sounds as though zzneonzz is on the right track as far as seeing if perhaps this is the problem, I'm interested in seeing if this works,, if its BAD GAS the seafoam will take care of it for sure... Be sure to keep us updated zzneonzz.. Good Luck,,, I picked some seafoam up just yesterday to add to my other (not a spyder) bike and also mixed it in with a 5 gal can of gas so therefore when I add gas to my mower or any other small engine it is treated,, it always good to run a mixture of this stuff even through an engine that seems to be running just fine so I always mix a 5 gal can with seafoam every year...

Joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well I went out and rode a bit more and now have 3 bars left on the fuel guage with 125 miles since the SeaFoam was added. The problem has cleared up some but still exists from time to time. I ran the senario by my dealer Saturday when i went up there to have them top off the coolant and they went ahead and added the 2 additional ground wires while i was there and they said it sounds like either bad gas or the plugs are started to get fouled. I'll finish running this gas out and fill up again though and add some more seafoam and see what happens. Its about 85% resolved though so far. I noticed my power increased (back to normal)within the first 20 miles or so after the last fill up now all that remains is some of the slugishness. Will keep you guys updated as to how it goes. My next service is in about 800 miles so i'll give it till then to see how it performs.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm surprised the dealer didn't simply drain the fuel from that tank while they had it. Running bad gas through an EFI system to "clear it out" isn't the best idea.

Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner, Stabil is a fuel stabilizer that binds with the water and prevents water from collecting in your fuel system. Neither should take more than a single tank to correct "bad gas".

Just drain the tank, fill it with quality gas and ride. If you really want to put in an additive I recommend Chevron Techron unless you can get it out of the pump locally. Techron is a GREAT fuel additive that is reasonably priced and works as advertised without any adverse effects.

spcdotymec

i have had some of them arcing through the plug caps to the cylinder under 5000 rpm but running just fine above that.

Spyder Garage

Ok here is worst case deal. If you are low on coolant again in the near future, and running bad, take it to the dealer and have them pull the plugs. Have the dealer service dude check for white build up on the plugs.
    Could be a blown head gasket.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got some bad gas in Georgia and boy did I notice right away. Let hubby know the symptoms and he could hear it too. Immediately upon firing it up it sounded different. He put in Techron which cleared it up some, then ran the tank down and put in a better grade of gas. Now she's smiling and happy. It's amazing how bad gas can make her b**chy.
    Joyce