Spyder Garage

Default Whirring whine @ 38-42mph?

Just purchased a 600cc Ryker a week ago and just love her. Learning curve from being on two wheels for 55yrs but enjoying the ride. I have a whirring/whining sound coming from my rear tire/rear end between 38 and 42mph that is slightly annoying. Any slower or faster and whine disappears. Anyone else out there have that noise or is it normal for the cvt? Thanks & ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Could be just normal sounds. But I would certainly check the fluid level to at least eliminate that possibility. Could also be a gear issue. But time will tell on that and it would be a warranty item I would think. My 900 does not make any drive shaft noises that I can hear.

I would certainly take it to your dealer and have them test ride it. If nothing else, it will get the problem documented so it's on the books if something goes south later.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks BajaRon, appreciate your feedback. I was planning on checking the gear lube level this afternoon as I've seen posts about a low level issue here. Thanks and ride safe!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Still new little info

As we are just starting to get information and reviews hard to say. What tire pressure are you running could be too low . Did read hear several units had problem with the final drive oil level. There were threads here on how to check that it should be an in-out visit to any dealer. Let us know what you find so we can gather more cures for such issues...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My Ryker with 900 miles is Much Louder than My F3. I were ear buds on both and always do the last 2 miles home without Music to listen to vehicle sounds AND the Ryker is More Noisy than any of My 3 former Spyders? But Its Addicting to Drive-

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

mugwomp, just an FYI, don’t be in a hurry when you check final drive. I’m old and have health issues but I had to make special tools and it was an all day pain in the butt. Taking the fill plug out wasn’t the problem, puting it back in was a major issue for me. You see, I have big hands with arthritis and I had to rig a tool to get the fill plug up where it belongs and then used a Phillips head screw driver with a short piece of rubber fuel line stuck on the end to get some flexibility to spear the 8mm Allen head fill plug because you don’t have a straight enough shot at it. So I’m holding this make shift tool pushing the fill plug up to the area where it belongs, because my fingers are too big to fit between the rear disc and fill hole, and trying to use my custom made rubber fuel line screw driver with my other hand from the other side of the wheel and after dropping one or the other tools about 40 or so times, I finally got it started. Oh, did I mention that I suffer Severe body spasms. cueman

Spyder Garage

Thanks Cueman. I know the struggles of sore joints. Sounds like you're pretty innovative to make things work...where there's a will, there's a way! Haven't had a chance to check the rear fluid yet, but will post my findings.

Spyder Garage

Update...checked the rear drive gear fluid and she was full. cueman was correct, it's a bit of a pain to put the plug back in. It's a real tight fit between the disc and the plug hole. Dropped the plug numerous times (that gear oil is slippery stuff) until I sparked the idea to use a magic magnetic wand to hold it in place until I could start the threads to line up. Cinched it down with an 8mm long t-handle hex. Solved the whining whirr by not driving between 38 and 42mph! Thanks Ya'll for your input and I'll sleep better knowing there's plenty of gear oil back there...Off in the wind. 600+ miles in a week and a grin that won't wipe off my face. Blessings!