Let's pause and assume we are both correct. When doing my DYNO testing for a specific bike, I only use gas from one of two SPECIFIC BUSY GAS STATIONS. Early in my career it was always BP and usually 93 octane for testing. Then in the last years of bike testing a SUPER GAS STATION came to town and they claim to have TOP TIER FUEL?? I was Down in Mississippi near a refinery with a Liter sport bike. I filled up with 87 octane and OMG the bike was doing wheelies everywhere. Trying to understand what just happened, a local told me it's just the difference of TOP TIER FUEL. So that is what led me to try DYNO testing 87 octane TOP TIER FUEL.
So here is how we can both be correct in our experience. I have a drawer full of DYNO charts that clearly show a performance gain with 87 octane, but always based on one specific BUSY station with fresh top tier fuel. MY Spyder riding 87 octane fuel is 90% limited to these specific gas stations as they are everywhere for me. Also, this could be a big one. If I'm touring I seldom go above 5,000 rpm for shifting and may not notice power loss from a low quality or stale gas?? Usually I buy Higher octane when in doubt.
With this in mind, and believing we are both speaking from experience, I would detect the same results as you describe if I had your fueling option in my tank and you would experience the same if you had mine. MY bike dyno charts do not show any hp improvement with 87 octane until way above the rpm range of our Spyders.
So to conclude, I do not have a DYNO history for my Spyder. I am using my butt DYNO and speed trap testing to confirm that with FRESH TOP TIER FUEL it is a wash for octane testing.
Thanks for a gentleman's discussion, this is how our country should behave if we disagree.
Dennis

Sorry to disagree but I have had the unfortunate opportunity to fuel my F3 with 87 from time to time out of necessity and can immediately feel the sluggishness and loss of power as the engine pulls timing. When returning to 93 octane, its not as immediate but takes a few miles to retune again for the better spark curve. Its repeatable and quite noticeable.[/QUOTE]