RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Default 4" NMN Throttle Cables Issue

Added the NMN 4" black risers today & have one issue. I haven't messed with throttle cables before, only having been riding 20 years & 165,000 miles & thought you may have the experience I lack & can help me out.

Anyway, I seem to have plenty of slack on the throttle cables full left & right, but when I turn them to the full right, the throttle does not snap closed when released. In this position, there is even more slack, possibly too much. There is a big bend in the cables & when I shove the extra slack down the center of the black rubber boot that closes most of the hole around the steering stem, the throttle will close. My risers are positioned to give my more back & only a small amount of up.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from some of you who've run either had this same issue and found a resolution, or did not have it at all, but may have routed those cables differently than I.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Spyder Garage

I had a similar problem. In my case, one or both cables was getting stuck under the black metal loop just above the rubber boot. One other problem was I had replaced the handlebar grips and the insert in the end of the handlebar was causing a drag on the grip and throttle sleeve; I had to make an adjustment there.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-29-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My cable issue was just the opposite . . . .

. . . . my throttle cables were too short. When my dealer assembled the Spyder, they appeared to be run correctly, but I had to change where they were tied off to get the extra inches I needed for the 4" risers.

But, wyliec gave you some good points. That open metal 'hairpin' clip gave me some occasional snags. I put tape over it. I also had to re-route the trunk release cable as that was in the way of a far right turn.

I got everything working and put the Spyder back together and the cables were too tight?! It took a while to figure out, but, I had put the rubber boot that wraps around the steering column on over the throttle cables on the right hand side. The cables need to go down through the opening by the steering column.

Tom