Threaded View

Spyder Garage

So hopefully everything is in the final stages of the planning phase for the side-car project..

I was really heartened to have found the 'Schwenker' based side car architecture on YT. I am currently still spending further time enhancing it to what we require. I have worked things out to the point of now totally and safely adding air bag suspension to the unit. This will also allow for the passenger compartment to drop to the ground as required for Cathy as we require it. In the mean time whilst in the driving height, everything is locked for total safety.

So in the mean time not wanting to be idle, I've been changing out my secondary muffler / silencer and aft, to something more of a straight through easier breathing system. My shock of horrors really came home when finding out by measuring with a micrometre, the inlet to the stock muffler was cut back from 49mm from the cat area, to a 42mm inlet .... (that's at the pipe entrance to flow to the pipe itself - not at the mouth entrance) .... Anyway, by my calculations, limiting the machine to 111 hp max.

I suppose when the bike is rated to 115hp @ 7200 rpm its spot on BRP's calculations! From all my research on air flow, exhausts etc, apparently we are supposed to go down in size rather than up so as to not sacrifice back pressure, pulse effect etc.

Anyway I am driving to-wards what is to be achieved rather than what is stock ... By my calculations I need really close to just under a 2" system so 2" it will be. That's exactly what has been installed so far, and that's what I honed in on finishing off today .... or at least started to ...

So I got most of the exhaust cut and trial fitted yesterday and left it right there over-nite..... Today everything was supposed to be real easy..... it was supposed to be full steam ahead to finish off the main support bracket for the main muffler ... Well, that's what was intended ... What actually resulted was ... "you know when you are sure you've got exactly that peace you're after some-where and all you have to do is find it ...."That's right, the whole damn garage finally got a good clean up and sorting out" ... And, no bracket was there to be found ... anywhere ... so about 5 or 6 hours later I still had to make one .. "Idiot!" So at the close of play tonight, the new bracket has been finished, painted and drying (and that's where it will stay for a few days until it hardens) ....

As far as the attachments ... the first is a fantastic example of a 'Schwenker' architecture side car .. I love it ... , the second is the actual design that goes into making the basic side car along these lines (minus my dropping / bagging or the actual bike attachment specs) ... the third was close of play last night and where it will remain for the next few days ... and finally ... guess what .. I haven't spoken about this at all ... these are my hub conversion fresh and back from manufacture from the standard Spyder 3*90 pcd to of all things the 'Smart' car stud pattern ... Why, because IMO, the Smart Cars have truck loads more wide wheel choices than what are available right now out there for the Spyders ...

Am I a happy camper right now tonight ?... you bet ya!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fatenhappy; 05-24-2018 at 05:52 AM.