Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE WANDERING

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    I run 26# in my Altima. Tried 22lbs and the bike seemed to want to "wander" a bit. After I increased it to 26 lbs no more wandering. To each their own.. I can agree that this tire out performs the Kenda hands down! My wife's bike will also get the same tire real soon!

Kent
    Kent I believe you actually have an Altimax ... correct ..... at 22 lbs it is NOT wandering ..... at 18 lbs it will NOT be wandering....... This tire has weight rating approx. 3 X's that of the OEM Kenda ...it has 4 tread plies and 2 sidewall plies that are each thicker than the single ply Kenda ...... I don't know of anyone using 18 psi in any CAR tire that has your feelings of " wandering " ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I do have the Altimax and I can tell you that on my bike with me and the Wife riding it was "wandering" and "squshey" feeling...............until I increased the pressure. That being said, I will be buying another one for the Wife's bike as well as I really like the way it rides and handles.

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Default .

I too put General Altimax RT43 215/60 R15 on my 2015 RT-S and am running at 27# cold, but when at operating temp it will rise to 28 - 29# and according to the FOBOs rum 18 to 20 degrees warmer than the fronts. This might have something to do with the heat generated by motor and cat converter right in front of it with no extra air flow to cool it down like the fronts. I've seen the rear reach 102 on a 85 degree day. I plan to put the air scoops used on the 998 bikes to push more air through the tunnel that all the Tupperware creates.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    I too put General Altimax RT43 215/60 R15 on my 2015 RT-S and am running at 27# cold, but when at operating temp it will rise to 28 - 29# and according to the FOBOs rum 18 to 20 degrees warmer than the fronts.
    Google "4 psi rule". You may want to drop the pressure just a bit.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default COOLING THE REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    I too put General Altimax RT43 215/60 R15 on my 2015 RT-S and am running at 27# cold, but when at operating temp it will rise to 28 - 29# and according to the FOBOs rum 18 to 20 degrees warmer than the fronts. This might have something to do with the heat generated by motor and cat converter right in front of it with no extra air flow to cool it down like the fronts. I've seen the rear reach 102 on a 85 degree day. I plan to put the air scoops used on the 998 bikes to push more air through the tunnel that all the Tupperware creates.
    The rear tire is in such a confined space imho there is NOTHING that can be done to cool it ...... and it's not necessary ...... Get the psi down to 18 and everything will be a lot better ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default " SQUSHEY "

I do have the Altimax and I can tell you that on my bike with me and the Wife riding it was "wandering" and "squshey" feeling...............until I increased the pressure. That being said, I will be buying another one for the Wife's bike as well as I really like the way it rides and handles.

Kent
    Kent every kid out there who puts a Loud exhaust on there car - truck - motorcycle will swear and bet money that their ride is now FASTER because of it .......... however 99.99 % of the time it's actually slower if anything....... Even if you and your wife have your Spyder at it's maximum weight capacity that tire has enough sidewall strength to prevent what you THINK you are feeling .... sometimes there is loose material on the road that you don't notice and the tire might " sideslip " a tad. I won't BS you and claim 22 lbs is critical.... but the ride and wet performance will be a bit better at 18 psi........ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kent,
    Ride your Spyder with the tire pressures that suit YOU the best!
    Mike is a pretty thin guy, and he usually rides solo: his weight probably doesn't make the tire pressures critical.
    If you... "take up a bit more space in the mirror" : you just might need to squeeze a few more PSI into the mix!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, what the best rear tire for a solo-ridden F3 that never has, and never will, be ridden in the rain,
    where the most important consideration is long life rather than performance?
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Default LONG LASTING TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    So, what the best rear tire for a solo-ridden F3 that never has, and never will, be ridden in the rain,
    where the most important consideration is long life rather than performance?
    I think the Cooper CS5 ( Grand Touring model NOT the Ultra touring !!!!! ) might be what you looking for ........ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-15-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think the Cooper CS5 ( Grand Touring model NOT the Ultra touring !!!!! ) might be what you looking for ........ Mike

Thank you Mike.
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Ok MIke, how about we agree to disagree here. I never said anything about how my bike handles better than yours, only how I felt my bike handles. I am not a teenager, 51 years young thank you.
    In fact this weekend I did lower the pressure to 22 psi and went on a 500 mile and again I did not like how the bike handled. Also rode in the rain and was the first time I felt some hydroplaning from this tire. Now, saying that, this tire has about 27,00 miles on it and cannot make that argument at this time. Back to 26 for me and my bike.

Kent

Kent every kid out there who puts a Loud exhaust on there car - truck - motorcycle will swear and bet money that their ride is now FASTER because of it .......... however 99.99 % of the time it's actually slower if anything....... Even if you and your wife have your Spyder at it's maximum weight capacity that tire has enough sidewall strength to prevent what you THINK you are feeling .... sometimes there is loose material on the road that you don't notice and the tire might " sideslip " a tad. I won't BS you and claim 22 lbs is critical.... but the ride and wet performance will be a bit better at 18 psi........ Mike
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Oh I plan too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Kent,
    Ride your Spyder with the tire pressures that suit YOU the best!
    Mike is a pretty thin guy, and he usually rides solo: his weight probably doesn't make the tire pressures critical.
    If you... "take up a bit more space in the mirror" : you just might need to squeeze a few more PSI into the mix!
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Just put an Kenda on the rear at about 23psi Rides fine. Were are people getting the front 165/55/15 from at good prices. Tire rack does not carry that size. Local dealer can order but wants 125+ each. Thats way to much.

Spyder Garage

Default THIS TIRE THING

Ok MIke, how about we agree to disagree here. I never said anything about how my bike handles better than yours, only how I felt my bike handles. I am not a teenager, 51 years young thank you.
    In fact this weekend I did lower the pressure to 22 psi and went on a 500 mile and again I did not like how the bike handled. Also rode in the rain and was the first time I felt some hydroplaning from this tire. Now, saying that, this tire has about 27,00 miles on it and cannot make that argument at this time. Back to 26 for me and my bike.

Kent
    Dear Kent : No dis-respect, but you are saying that .... you are basing your statement about tires from what your Butt is telling you..... I'm basing what I'm saying on Schooling , training, and the fact that I have testified in Court about Tires ...... Soooooooooooo if you think your Butt is better at predicting the performance of tires than my knowledge ..... I will give a list of my teachers, who you can offer your services to.... PS giving Expert testimony in Court can be very lucrative $$$$$$.......All the best ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike...
    I hope you realize that you just compared your brain; to his butt!

Good luck with THAT!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike...
    I hope you realize that you just compared your brain; to his butt!

Good luck with THAT!

Based on some of the comments that I've read, I can see one drawing that comparison.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Whats this 4 degree rule- I lowered my Kumho (On the RT) to 24 pounds after having it at 28. When I stopped after a 2 hour ride it was 27- Started at 24? What does this say???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE RISE

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Whats this 4 degree rule- I lowered my Kumho (On the RT) to 24 pounds after having it at 28. When I stopped after a 2 hour ride it was 27- Started at 24? What does this say???
    This is how this works on ALL vehicle tires. The air temp inside the tire rises as you drive down the road.... This causes the air to expand which INCREASES the pressure.... That's why the recommended pressure me & Peter give ( lower psi ) account for this fact. When I say 18 psi, I know it's going to go up approx.3 psi and that's now 21 psi......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Were are people getting the front 165/55/15 from at good prices.
    Since you just mounted a Kenda on the rear, are you wanting to stick with OEM Kenda front tires????? If you google the tire size, you'll see what's available in the 165/55/R15 size. The tire that gets mentioned a lot, and probablt fits your "good price" is the Federal Formosa AZ01. It comes in both the 165 and 175 sizes.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Thank you Mike.
    Let me start by saying that I am NO tire expert. I'll just pass along what has been passed on to me. For a single rear tire application the asymmetric tires sould be avoided because they shed water unevenly. Most new gen tires are being made that way for automotive applications where there's a right and left sided tire. The tires have a designated side and direction. Could they work on the front, or on the rear of a conventional trike???????
    Some food for thought.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ASYMMETRICAL

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am NO tire expert. I'll just pass along what has been passed on to me. For a single rear tire application the asymmetric tires sould be avoided because they shed water unevenly. Most new gen tires are being made that way for automotive applications where there's a right and left sided tire. The tires have a designated side and direction. Could they work on the front, or on the rear of a conventional trike???????
    Some food for thought.
    Mike
    IMHO , I wouldn't be as concerned with this as I would be with a number of other issues with tires and Air pressures folks here are using ....... and I can't think of any tires that we use ( on rear ) that are ASYMMETRICAL ...... if you do please tell us which one/s you are referring to .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO , I wouldn't be as concerned with this as I would be with a number of other issues with tires and Air pressures folks here are using ....... and I can't think of any tires that we use ( on rear ) that are ASYMMETRICAL ...... if you do please tell us which one/s you are referring to .... Mike
    The newest tires by Cooper Tires(CS5s) are asymmetrical in design. The CS3s and CS4s are directional and symmetrical in design.

Spyder Garage

Default ASYMMETRICAL

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    The newest tires by Cooper Tires(CS5s) are asymmetrical in design. The CS3s and CS4s are directional and symmetrical in design.
    ............... I JUST LOOKED AT THAT TIRE , although it looks asymmetrical it doesn't say this in the description .... Plus after about an hour of research , the asymmetrical benefit would be valid if the tire is on the FRONT of the Spyder..... If it's on the REAR - it's in the middle and not subject to BODY ROLL ...... so the asymmetrical benefit is not even measurable and there is NO BAD things about having only one on the rear ............ But if it upsets you .... don't use it ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-18-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

............... I JUST LOOKED AT THAT TIRE , although it looks asymmetrical it doesn't say this in the description .... Plus after about an hour of research , the asymmetrical benefit would be valid if the tire is on the FRONT of the Spyder..... If it's on the REAR - it's in the middle and not subject to BODY ROLL ...... so the asymmetrical benefit is not even measurable and there is NO BAD things about having only one on the rear ............ But if it upsets you .... don't use it ..... Mike

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passe...a-Touring.aspx

Under "Features and benefits", the third bullet says that they are asymmetrical. Goes for both CS5 tires. I was going to put one on my Spyder and the tire dealer advised against it.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.