Spyder Garage

Default Downshifting Into 1st Gear With an SE

Hi,
    I'm on the fence about this.... Should I be manually downshifting into 1st gear. Can this hurt the transmission.
    Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Yes, you should (if/when you feel like it) & No, you can't!!

The SE is the same gearbox as the manual, identical in fact, with the addition of computer supervision of the shift process & a different clutch so that you can't hurt anything.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Personal choice

Whatever you feel like doing, you won't hurt the gearbox. Unless of course you start abusing the downshifting at too high a speed for the proper gear.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

been doing it for over 7000 miles. saving my brakes.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    ..... Unless of course you start abusing the downshifting at too high a speed for the proper gear.
    If you are travelling too fast or would cause revving outside the 'safe parameters' for the lower gear, the computer won't let you downshift anyway, so you won't hurt anything!

Spyder Garage

Default Cool, I learned something new today

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you are travelling too fast or would cause revving outside the 'safe parameters' for the lower gear, the computer won't let you downshift anyway, so you won't hurt anything!

Thanks Peter! Now I can take the rest of the day off.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I down shift manually in ever gear! And as stated above, you will not do any damage to the transmission.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's the beauty of the "ESSIES": they make it easier for you; but it's always your choice!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

In my opinion. The only reason to let your Spyder auto downshift is because you are too busy or lazy to do it yourself. The auto downshift function is set up as a backstop function on the SE5. It is set to downshift at 2,000 rpm. That is the clutch engagement speed. As was said above. It will not let you manually downshift if the revs are too high.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Lazy"?
    How about "impressed with the improvements that BRP has made in their shifting protocols."?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Hi,
    I'm on the fence about this.... Should I be manually downshifting into 1st gear. Can this hurt the transmission.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. I don't really think it matters or harms anything.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The auto downshift function is set up as a backstop function on the SE5. It is set to downshift at 2,000 rpm.
    Backstop function??????????????????? I choose to disagree! I see it as a primary function of the SE system!

I don't worry about saving brakes either. My Maxima has over 100k miles and is still on the original pads. A replacement set is sitting on the shelf because I didn't need to change them thousands of miles ago like I thought I did. Don't abuse the brakes and they'll last a looooooonnnngggg time! And I don't drive slow, just stop easily. The 1330 engine does a good job of slowing the Spyder when you let up on the throttle.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Backstop function??????????????????? I choose to disagree! I see it as a primary function of the SE system!

I don't worry about saving brakes either. My Maxima has over 100k miles and is still on the original pads. A replacement set is sitting on the shelf because I didn't need to change them thousands of miles ago like I thought I did. Don't abuse the brakes and they'll last a looooooonnnngggg time! And I don't drive slow, just stop easily. The 1330 engine does a good job of slowing the Spyder when you let up on the throttle.

"And I don't drive slow, just stop easily."

And we all know at least one person who has two speeds - FAST and STOP!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Your choice...do it when you want to and you are covered it you are out of range. As for saving brakes the RT's go thru them much faster than the RS/GS/RSS/ST and the Se models faster than the Sm models. It does help the Se models some if you use engine compression to brake....

The gentleman with the Maxima that has 100,000 miles on its brakes should buy a set of pads for his RT and put them on the shelf and compare...��
    Last edited by Chupaca; 05-12-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I prefer to match the gear to my speed/revs and driving conditions. YMMV.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Downshifting vs using the brakes - which is more expensive to replace? Brake pads or clutch?

The same applies to cars.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PRE-MATURE BRAKE WEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Your choice...do it when you want to and you are covered it you are out of range. As for saving brakes the RT's go thru them much faster than the RS/GS/RSS/ST and the Se models faster than the Sm models. It does help the Se models some if you use engine compression to brake....

The gentleman with the Maxima that has 100,000 miles on its brakes should buy a set of pads for his RT and put them on the shelf and compare...��
    BAJARON has said this many, many times folks change their pads far to EARLY in most cases because the STEALERS said to do it . ...... This wouldn't happen if they gave you your pads after they did the job tho ....... jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post

My 2007 Toyota Tundra just got a brake job. All 4 rotors replaced with 4 brake pads. All original from day one. My mileage was 160K miles. Pads still had life in them but I figured I was starting to push my luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And, conversely, with my SE6, the computer won't let me UPshift until it decides my revs are high enough. (Nanny is such a control freak!)

Spyder Garage

I have had both the manual and SE versions of tranny.

I prefer the SE these days. The automatic downshifting is very smooth and works fine for me. I use it 98% of the time. If I need to shift it down and crank the throttle for extra power to pass, then I am thankful that choice is also there.

Either way, I don't think you are going to hurt anything.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The " NANNY " is protecting you ...... On a Manual if you up-shift too soon you can stall , which is very dangerous in traffic ....... so be careful what you wish for ................ sometimes Nanny knows best ........... Mike
    Believe it or not, this time I wasn't complaining about the computerization. I actually love my SE!