Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default NYS Licensing Requirements?

Just wondering whether anyone here from NY State can help me out with a few questions. In comparing what I've read on the internet against the DMV's motorcycling booklet, I'm a bit confused about licensing requirements.

Here's my situation:

First, I'm not interested in riding a 2-wheeler.

Second - I used to have a full motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license in NYS. However, I've moved a lot from state to state in the past 20 years or so and somewhere along the line (I don't remember exactly where - possibly Virginia?), I gave up the endorsement when it was required for me to take another road test for it.

Third - I'm back in NY State now and want to ride a Spyder.

So, my questions are:

a. Can/will DMV just look me up in their records 22-26 years back and simply just re-endorse my license? (Highly doubtful, I would think.)

b. Does NYS have an endorsement for just 3-wheel motorcycles or not? (I get conflicting info on this.) If so, what's the best way go about getting the endorsement?

c. All the motorcycle safety courses I've found online teach with 2-wheelers only. Is there anyway to go thru this process with riding only a 3-wheeler like the Spyder?

d. If so, where/how can I get a Spyder to use for training and the roadtest pre-purchase? I'd hate to spend the $$ for a purchase and then encounter some problem with getting the license. So how did you go about it?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I know that you can take a three wheeler course that will give you the endorsement to operate a spyder in NY. If you don't get an answer to your other questions I'm sure Progressive Motorsports in Hudson Falls can answer them all. Good luck.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do not have the endorsement on the previous license in NYS they will not add that when you update your license. Pennsylvania is the same way. I would call them and ask but things don't change.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have to agree, call the DMV on tuesday because i think monday is a federal holiday for them, and ask. they are pretty helpful the last time i called

Spyder Garage

Default A Safety Perspective

I had the same experience, gave up the MC endorsement a number of years ago as I moved around in my career and had also quit racing to ensure my kids had a father of sound mind and body growing up. The Spyder urge bit after I'd had both hips replaced and didn't want to risk life on two wheels. I got a MC learners permit, warmed up on my son's Vespa and took a motorcycle safety course. I bought the Spyder while riding on the learners permit but the refresher MC course was one of the best things I could have done, IMO. As a career long distance touring bicyclist I have long been firmly convinced that there is a significant percantage of cage drivers out there who are definitely out to maim or kill folks like us who enjoy the open road on fewer than four wheels. The MC course again brought to the fore just how quickly things can turn to out there, and the break on my Spyder insurance was worth the cost of the course. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Call the DMV or pay them a visit...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YOu'll need to start from scratch... NYSDMV isn't going to look back that far in your records for a Class 7 endorsement...
    Take the test: get the permit...
    If you take your road test on a trike: that's what your new MC license will be limited to.

Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob is correct.

They do a 3 wheel endorsement. Took my brother for his last year (piece a cake)

Spyder Garage

DMV won't care what you had, only what you have now and you can get a restricted 3 wheel license by taking test on spyder. If you get permit and take MSF course you will get unrestricted license

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses, guys. That's pretty much what I expected.

The question now is a chicken-egg thing. It looks like that to take a road test on a Spyder, I'd have to own it first. It would be nice to be able to rent one for awhile to practice on and take the roadtest and/or safety course with. But everything that I've found online locally offers only 2-wheel safety courses (where the 2 wheel motorcycle is provided by the course).

Ideally, I'd like to go thru the whole licensing process on only a Spyder before making a purchase. While that's possible with a 2-wheel motorcycle, it doesn't look possible in the case of a Spyder <sigh>.

Spyder Garage

Get the MC permit, take the 2 wheel course and they will provide the motorcycle. The license you get after the 2 wheel course will allow you to operate 2 or 3 wheelers.

2016 CanAm Spyder RT
    2008 CanAm Renegade 800
    2014 Yamaha Zuma
    2007 Honda Shadow Spirit
    2007 Honda TRX400EX-sold

Spyder Garage

most that ride motorcycles don't have a license period

There is guys ben riding 20+ years without. If that was me I would get caught that's my karma

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    The question now is a chicken-egg thing. It looks like that to take a road test on a Spyder, I'd have to own it first. It would be nice to be able to rent one for awhile to practice on and take the roadtest and/or safety course with. But everything that I've found online locally offers only 2-wheel safety courses (where the 2 wheel motorcycle is provided by the course).
    Do you have physical limitations that might make operating a small two-wheeler impossible? There are some licensing courses available, and successfully passing one automatically gets you the license. (No need for a road test...)
    It's worth a look, and then you don't have the "Trike" limitation on your license.

Ulster County Community College (Stone Ridge, NY), offers one of these courses.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Do you have physical limitations that might make operating a small two-wheeler impossible? There are some licensing courses available, and successfully passing one automatically gets you the license. (No need for a road test...)
    It's worth a look, and then you don't have the "Trike" limitation on your license.

Ulster County Community College (Stone Ridge, NY), offers one of these courses.
    Just the usual aches and pains of a 64 year old - especially in the hips and lower back. I'm aware of those courses and there's one that's offered at a local college, so it looks like that's the route I'd have to take.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

In NYS if you take the road test on a two wheeler you are licensed to ride any motorcycle 2 or 3 wheel. If you take your road test on a three wheeler, you are licensed for a three wheel motorcycle only.

There is a motorcycle safety course called Ride With Pride that does 2 and 3 wheel motorcycle courses, as long as you pass their course you get your license (there is no DMV road test).
    The basic course is 275.00.
    All you have to bring is riding gear and a helmet and your motorcycle permit.

https://www.ridemss.com/
    Last edited by BlueKnight; 04-17-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKnight View Post
    In NYS if you take the road test on a two wheeler you are licensed to ride any motorcycle 2 or 3 wheel. If you take your road test on a three wheeler, you are licensed for a three wheel motorcycle only.

There is a motorcycle safety course called Ride With Pride that does 2 and 3 wheel motorcycle courses, as long as you pass their course you get your license (there is no DMV road test).
    The basic course is 275.00.
    All you have to bring is riding gear and a helmet and your motorcycle permit.

https://www.ridemss.com/
    Thanks for that info and link. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be one in my area of NYS (north of Albany).

Nevertheless, I'm off to the DMV to ask some questions.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck! ; please let us know what you find out!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck! ; please let us know what you find out!
    Just back from DMV. As most here figured, I need to start from scratch with a learner's permit and road test or safety course. I'll be taking the written test for the permit tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the bright side: you already know the process, so this is only a little bit more time...

Spyder Garage

Here's another link for MSF Motorcycle Safety Foundation, just enter your zip code they have locations all over......

http://msf-usa.org/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the bright side: you already know the process, so this is only a little bit more time...
    On the even brighter side --- I went back to DMV today to take the online test for a motorcycle permit. passed it and when I went to the window to get the permit.................I asked about specific maneuvers required during the road test and whether they've changed since I had my previous motorcycle license back in the day. The woman looked at me and said "You've had a NYS motorcycle license before?". I replied "Yes" and explained the situation......Long story short is that, after a few contortions on the DMV computer, she canceled the permit and re-activated my motorcycle endorsement on my license! Actually, I now have an INTERIM Driver/Motorcycle license for the next few weeks before I get my new license with photo on it, etc.

But the bottom line is that I am good to go. Looking forward to some test drives now!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's fan-dang-TASTIC!!
    Now: it's time to do some serious shopping!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new license.

I now have a question that DMV or the MC course has been unable to answer. What is on the 3 wheel road test? My wife and I took the MSA course I passed but unfortunately my wife fell with the bike and got hurt enough that she could not continue. I have had her ryding the spyder but need to know what to expect on the road test so she can become proficient in those areas. This way I can take her for her test and she can get a 3 wheel endorsement. Thank you
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There doesn't seem to be a specific road test for Trikes: they use the standard two-wheeled type of course, but they give you a bit more room for circles (instead of figure-eights.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Congrats on your new license.

I now have a question that DMV or the MC course has been unable to answer. What is on the 3 wheel road test? My wife and I took the MSA course I passed but unfortunately my wife fell with the bike and got hurt enough that she could not continue. I have had her ryding the spyder but need to know what to expect on the road test so she can become proficient in those areas. This way I can take her for her test and she can get a 3 wheel endorsement. Thank you
    I took the road test in Monticello, NY on my spyder. The guy from DMV rode with my wife who followed me for about 5 minutes and I had my license. He told me which streets to take and to do a 3-point turn.
    It was ridiculous, but it is what it is.