Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Lights used to be triggered by a beam on the post on the corner, then they improved it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    most of todays traffic lights are SMART LIGHTS.... they read what's in front of them, and a SPYD3R is not enough mass for the lights to register you are there... however, these SMART LIGHTS also look for 'LIGHTS'... I found that flashing my BRIGHTS will trigger the SMART LIGHTS to acknowledge my presents...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

I'm going to give this a shot. Like I said in my previous post, there is one light in particular that I can't get past, except with a right turn. Of course, I'll have to do this with no one behind that may activate the light changing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I'm going to give this a shot. Like I said in my previous post, there is one light in particular that I can't get past, except with a right turn. Of course, I'll have to do this with no one behind that may activate the light changing.
    If you see the wires buried in the pavement... they're pretty obvious... then lights won't help.. nor will jumping up and down as someone mentioned. There simply isn't enough metal to trip the sensor. The magnets can help, but are not 100% effective. I have one that I have to go through quite often and if there's not a car in front of me then I won't try and take the turn.. will go straight and cut through a gas station after the intersection instead.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting question

There are plates in the pavement which are activated by the weight of the vehicle to control the lights. Sometimes a motorcycle is not heavy enough to activate the plate. Here in Washington, a while back, they passed a law that allows motorcycles to treat a red turn arrow like a stop sign after one full cycle of the traffic lights.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    A couple years ago called the public works dept. in a local city, responsible for maintaining a problem traffic light. A couple days later they called me back a said the sensitivity was adjusted and to let them know if it solved the problem. It seems to work fine ever since.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    There are plates in the pavement which are activated by the weight of the vehicle to control the lights.
    That technology is VERY old and probably doesn't exist much anymore.
    Most use magnetic sensor wires cut into the pavement.
    Some use video detectors.

AND....in all jurisdictions, it is legal to proceed carefully WHEN THE TRAFFIC SIGNALS ARE MALFUNCTIONING.
    Not cycling in response to a sensor failing is a malfunction. The recent laws just make that a bit clearer.

Spyder Garage

The weight based ones haven't been around for a long time now.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!