Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

My take. Does not happen very often to me--but it does occasionally. I will wait one cycle and then proceed on when it is safe. Have never had a LEO involved--but am guessing that after explanation and proper deference to the officer--that all should be well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemrpaul View Post
    AI would also suggest this problem be added to the Spyder "Dos & Don't" which I read several times before my first ride. It's a wonderful post and I think this would be a great addition.
    I hesitated to include this in the Do's and Do Not's since this is not directly solely to the operation of a Spyder, but rather many different vehicles that are affected.

However, I relented and added it, since it appears there are many new Spyder owners who do not come from a history of riding motorcycles, or at least not in recent times since these types of sensors have existed -- thus may not know this is a common problem. A common enough problem that many states have passed laws allowing motorcycles (and Spyders) to pass through a light that will not activate.

Good luck on not finding any of these in your travels... and have fun riding!

Spyder Garage

I've had the same thing happen and would wait longer than expected for the red light to turn green. On some occasions, I made sure any traffic was clear and just drove through the red light. Does anyone have any experience with using these traffic light trip sensor magnets for motorcycles? I wonder how effective they are? http://www.spotmotorcycles.com/traff...iversal-mount/

Spyder Garage

Recently I was in the left turn lane at the intersection of 2 state highways. The traffic lights were all red for thru traffic going in my direction. I was the first and the only vehicle waiting (On my Spyder) for the left turn arrow to turn green to proceed. From the opposite direction there was also a left turn lane which was not occupied. I waited and watched as the stop and go lights cycled through completely except for the left turn signals. A car arrived from the opposite direction to occupy the left turn lane across from me. On the second cycle while I watched and waited the left turn lane light lit and I was on my way. Then yesterday I was at another stop and go light intersection. I was turning left from a county road onto a state hwy on the outskirts of town. I waited an extended period of time for the light to turn green. After waiting for what I would estimate 30 seconds I was joined at the intersection by a second motorcycle right next to me. We both waited for about another 20 seconds. My counterpart got bored and since there was no cross traffic in site, proceed straight through the red light and on his way. I have been at both of these intersections mentioned in a car and never had what I've described happen. Is this my imagination or could someone explain what's going on.
    when I took the MSF course, my instructor brought up the question of "what do you do if the light won't change"? My response, "gun it and get on about your way". He laughed and said "you have tickets in your future". I have been pretty lucky with the traffic lights but I have had to make a right turn a few times to get around a light that wouldn't change for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had to run a left turn light just today. Pulled up to red left turn light, while straight way was green, light turned red, cross traffic light turned green then red, and straight went to green, and left turn stayed red. No cars were coming, so off I went. I will not wait more than one cycle on some of the streets I travel, as they only change when a car comes up the other way.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Recently I was in the left turn lane at the intersection of 2 state highways. The traffic lights were all red for thru traffic going in my direction. I was the first and the only vehicle waiting (On my Spyder) for the left turn arrow to turn green to proceed. From the opposite direction there was also a left turn lane which was not occupied. I waited and watched as the stop and go lights cycled through completely except for the left turn signals. A car arrived from the opposite direction to occupy the left turn lane across from me. On the second cycle while I watched and waited the left turn lane light lit and I was on my way. Then yesterday I was at another stop and go light intersection. I was turning left from a county road onto a state hwy on the outskirts of town. I waited an extended period of time for the light to turn green. After waiting for what I would estimate 30 seconds I was joined at the intersection by a second motorcycle right next to me. We both waited for about another 20 seconds. My counterpart got bored and since there was no cross traffic in site, proceed straight through the red light and on his way. I have been at both of these intersections mentioned in a car and never had what I've described happen. Is this my imagination or could someone explain what's going on.
    There are several loop detectors, as they're known, positioned in the lane beneath the asphalt. When a vehicle is sensed, a signal is sent to a computer. The problem is that they are not reliable.
    Sometimes they are not positioned properly, damaged by road repairs or not sensitive to lighter vehicles such as motorcycles or Spyders. Even a car may not trip them if they stop to far back or over the stop line. For these reasons, in New Jersey, all new and revised intersections have cameras mounted next to the traffic light that take the place of the ground loop detectors. Many confuse them with "red light cameras" but they are not.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

At work today I asked several of my automobile driving friends if they were aware of the fact that a motorcycle may not have enough metal to activate turn signal lights. Since none of them drive two wheelers they looked at me like I was telling a joke and they were waiting for the punch line.

I saw the article with the State of Illinois and their proposed solution of allowing motorcycles to proceed through red lights after a given amount of time. I believe laws like this are bandaids not solutions. When a motorcycle pulled up next to me while I was waiting for a light change and then proceeded through the red light my first thought was that "Here's another guy that thinks he's above the law." Maybe he was a priest driving to church that new of the issue and Wisconsin law better than I did but I think if you asked a majority of drivers they would say he just broke the law going through a red light.

The point is there are already plenty of drivers around here that must believe anything is legal until you get caught. There are plenty of young drivers that would look at what motorcycles have a right to do by going through a red light and do the same thing in automobiles without understanding why it's allowed. There are already plenty of times that I wish I had a hood emblem paintball gun so I could shoot the cars of drivers that do stupid things to let them know that somebody saw them.

While I'd love to have a bumper sticker that reads, "I drive through red lights and it's the law" signed by the governor my Spyder doesn't have a rear bumper.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

^ Food for thought.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that living up here in the sticks is looking better and better... Very few interactions with traffic lights, and none have ever given me trouble...
    But I do try to land a wheel just about where I figure that sensor ought to be...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Stalled red light solution

I have been known to get off and run punch the walk button to wake one up.99.9% success ratio.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At work today I asked several of my automobile driving friends if they were aware of the fact that a motorcycle may not have enough metal to activate turn signal lights. Since none of them drive two wheelers they looked at me like I was telling a joke and they were waiting for the punch line.

I saw the article with the State of Illinois and their proposed solution of allowing motorcycles to proceed through red lights after a given amount of time. I believe laws like this are bandaids not solutions. When a motorcycle pulled up next to me while I was waiting for a light change and then proceeded through the red light my first thought was that "Here's another guy that thinks he's above the law." Maybe he was a priest driving to church that new of the issue and Wisconsin law better than I did but I think if you asked a majority of drivers they would say he just broke the law going through a red light.

The point is there are already plenty of drivers around here that must believe anything is legal until you get caught. There are plenty of young drivers that would look at what motorcycles have a right to do by going through a red light and do the same thing in automobiles without understanding why it's allowed. There are already plenty of times that I wish I had a hood emblem paintball gun so I could shoot the cars of drivers that do stupid things to let them know that somebody saw them.

While I'd love to have a bumper sticker that reads, "I drive through red lights and it's the law" signed by the governor my Spyder doesn't have a rear bumper.
    While you make an interesting point; laws cannot, and should not, make up for ignorance of the law; or ignorance -- period.

If someone decides to run through a red-light because they saw a motorcycle do it is simply someone who would likely do something stupid sooner or later anyway. A sensible person, who is ignorant of the law allowing motorcycles to pass through, should use some of their sensibility. Again, you cannot legislate this...

Tougher testing should be required to be licensed... as if that is ever going to happen. If anything, states have only made it easier for people to get their license.

I am, however, amazed you have never, in all your years of driving, wondered what the tar-boxes at stop-lights were. I wonder if you ever noticed them. Could be there are none in your area.

Awareness of your surroundings is important in any vehicle; but most certainly more so when riding a Spyder. You should know every bump and crack in the roads you ride most frequently. No offense is intended with this comment at all. Just a suggestion to remain acutely aware of your surroundings when riding so you remain safe on your Spyder.

Keep safe out there and ride often!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Law

Quote Originally Posted by tobor9 View Post
    SC law now(after ABATE got it changed)says motorcycles can treat a red as a stop sign after 2 min.,can proceed with caution. most of the time someone will trip the light from the other side.

Hmmm....didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Magnets work. And video on why.

I saw a similar explanation and solution as in the link below on a tv program. (I think it was something like Life Hacks or a reasonable facsimile thereof.) Anyway, it works. Riding in town has just been soooo much better since then. I didn't put the 3 magnets on with tape, but I think I will. Just in case.

https://mods-n-hacks.gadgethacks.com...d-green-78256/

Or https://youtu.be/8GAacxGiV4A
    Last edited by thecoast; 04-13-2017 at 03:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plyrod38 View Post
    It's not your imagination, happens to me often.
    Traffic light sensors are often not triggered by motorcrcles and Spyders.
    Some riders attach rare earth magnets in the bottom of the motorcycle frames to help trigger the sensors in the road.
    In North Carolina, motorcycle riders are required to wait a reasonable amount of time, then proceed when it is safe to do so, regardless of light indication.
    Pennsylvania has also recently passed this into law.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So I wonder if all of those people who now have the super magnets of the Magic Mirrors will notice any difference, or are they too far from the road?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default States where motorcycles can run red lights legally

States where motorcycles can run red lights legally

This is from 2015 cannot find a newer one but I know states have been added.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1322...s-legally.html
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thecoast View Post
    I saw a similar explanation and solution as in the link below on a tv program. (I think it was something like Life Hacks or a reasonable facsimile thereof.) Anyway, it works. Riding in town has just been soooo much better since then. I didn't put the 3 magnets on with tape, but I think I will. Just in case.

https://mods-n-hacks.gadgethacks.com...d-green-78256/

Or https://youtu.be/8GAacxGiV4A
    I have a large magnet that I purchased from someone on here that sold them; it was specifically for the aforementioned purpose. Once the magnet was in place I tried to move it, and couldn't. Sometimes it works, and other times not, depending on the sensitivity of the loop. I have one light in my area that it absolutely will not work on, for that one I take a right hand turn.
    Last edited by wyliec; 04-13-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if the Magic Mounts will make a difference?
    Truthfully: I've never had trouble with triggering those sensors...

Is there a difference between the various models of Spyders?

Spyder Garage

Default Law

In many states you can run the red light under certain conditions. Here is an article about the law in Wisconsin. http://archive.jsonline.com/news/tra...221369311.html

It's legal.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if such magnets, or the placement of them, would confuse the Nanny in any way? Sensors, y'know...

Also, that video in today's first post alluded to a problem with the Neodymium magnet getting rusty... I wonder if dipping it in a can of shellac or varnish might solve that problem?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I wonder if such magnets, or the placement of them, would confuse the Nanny in any way? Sensors, y'know...
    No

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default My two cents..

One state (I forget - Arizona maybe??) just passed a law for motorcycles to turn left on red. It is a common problem. The buried wires respond to large metal over them, disrupting the magnetic field.

One way to REALLY help (IMHO) is searching for a strong thin magnet to pop onto the frame under the . I had one on my Harley a while back, it was about 1/2" thick and 3" long. The ad said it was made for motorcycles - probably some smart person with marketing skills bought a box full from China and put them on Ebay. Hmm... not a bad idea!

Any ways the strong magnet will trigger the signal (most times). I am looking for a spot on the underside to attach a magnet on my RTS, then going to find one that fills the space for the most "power". Trying not to use the long backbone, as the magnet would probably get knocked off in a parking lot on a speed bump. With the bump skid, not much room under there for anything!

Maybe a handful of those Magic Mirror magnets would work! Those things are super strong group them up tight somewhere. Maybe the people at Magic Mirrors could try out this theory!

Spyder Garage

Default SMART

most of todays traffic lights are SMART LIGHTS.... they read what's in front of them, and a SPYD3R is not enough mass for the lights to register you are there... however, these SMART LIGHTS also look for 'LIGHTS'... I found that flashing my BRIGHTS will trigger the SMART LIGHTS to acknowledge my presents...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

States with safe-on-red laws

Arkansas – In effect since 2005, state law allows a motorcyclist to proceed with caution, after coming to a full and complete stop, through a red light that fails to detect the bike. (Arkansas Code section 27-52-206)

Idaho – (2006) If a signal fails to operate after one cycle of the traffic light that a motorcyclist may proceed, using due caution and care, after coming to a full and complete stop at the intersection. (Statute 49-802)

Illinois – (2012) Permits a driver of a motorcycles or bicycle facing a red light that fails to change within a reasonable period of time of not less than 120 seconds to proceed after yielding the right-of-way to any oncoming traffic. However, this law doesn’t apply to municipalities of over 2,000,000 people – such as Chicago. (625 ILCS 5/11-306)

Minnesota – (2002) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who runs a red light has an affirmative defense if the driver first came to a complete stop, the traffic light stayed red for an unreasonable amount of time and appeared not to detect the vehicle and no motor vehicles or people were approaching the street. (Statute 169.06)

Missouri – (2009) State law tells both motorcyclists and bicyclists that run red lights that they have an affirmative defense if they brought their vehicle to a complete stop, the light was red for an unreasonable time period, and there were no motor vehicle or person approaching. (Statute 304.285)

Nevada – (2013) Those using motorcycles, bicycles, mopeds, and tri-mobiles are allowed to proceed through an intersection with a red light after waiting for two traffic light cycles, and they yield to other vehicle traffic or pedestrians. (Statute 484B.307)

North Carolina – (2007) Motorcyclists are permitted to move cautiously through a steady red light after coming to a complete stop and waiting a minimum of three minutes and if no other vehicle or pedestrians are approaching the intersection. (NCGS 20-158)

Oklahoma – (2010) Motorcycles can proceed cautiously through a steady red light intersection after a making a complete stop and if no other motor vehicle or person is approaching the roadway. (Statute 47-11-202)

South Carolina – (2008) After making a complete stop and waiting for a minimum of 120 seconds, the driver of a motorcycle, moped, or bicycle may treat a steady red light that doesn’t change as a stop sign and proceed with caution. (S.C. Code 56-5-970)

Tennessee – (2003) After coming to a complete stop, motorcyclists and bicyclists may proceed through a steady red light when it is safe to do so. (Tennessee Traffic Control Signals 55-8-110)

Virginia – (2011) Drivers of motorcycles, mopeds, and bicycles may move with caution through non-responsive red lights as long as they yield the right-of-way to others approaching the intersection, and have come to a complete stop for two complete light cycles or 120 seconds, whichever is shorter.(Statute 46-2-833)

Wisconsin – (2006) A motorcycle, moped or bicycle is permitted to run a steady red light after making a complete stop and waiting at least 45 seconds and then yields the right–of-way to any vehicular traffic or pedestrians using the intersection. (Statute 346.37)

In early 2013, Nebraska introduced Bill LB 85 proposing a safe-on-red law, but the bill currently has a status of “indefinitely postponed.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the list!
    But there will always be situations in which trying to get through an uncooperative light, will put your life in peril...

NEVER approach this tactic lightly, and always pretend that you are invisible!