Thread: American Legion

Spyder Garage

Default American Legion

Whoa! But then again its Michigan.
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.mlive...s_american.amp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But all that they had to do was stow their jacket in the bikes. Why not just do that, and completely defuse the situation?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I DO UNDERSTAND BOTH SIDES.
    BUT ALSO BEING A VET MYSELF MAY UPSET ME BUT ALSO KNOW THERE IS QUITE A FEW PLACES THAT DON'T ALLOW COLORS IN THEIR ESTABLISHMENT FOR SAFETY PURPOSES.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FLAG AND GANG COLORS IN MY OPINION

Spyder Garage

Most motorcycle club vests "with patches" do seem to resemble "biker gang" garments. I can see the manager getting a bit worried about violating a "company policy." The proper way to diffuse the situation would have been to check the garment or stick it in the saddlebags for the duration.

My problem is that everyone wants to make a federal case that their "rights" are being violated. I like the American Legion and they are the innocent victims here. The person making the stink about Dave & Busters is out of line--IMO of course.

My two vests with "colors" also resemble gang biker stuff, and there is an American Flag and an Eagle on the one I wear. Never had a problem when I was wearing the vest--but would not make a stink about it if called on it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-28-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

Just put them away. Most places have a sign stating "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" . Didn't even know they had a dress code other than "no shirt no shoes no service" ...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi marty1096,

Re: Whoa! But then again its Michigan.

In Oregon clothing is not a protected classification; you can be refused service for what you wear.

Jerry Baumchen

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi marty1096,

Re: Whoa! But then again its Michigan.

In Oregon clothing is not a protected classification; you can be refused service for what you wear.

Jerry Baumchen
    Are you saying that I couldn't wear my (latest) favorite Tee-Shirt out on the Town?

s-l1600.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

After reading the article and checking their Facebook page the issue is not American Legion jackets. The issue is motorcycle club jackets and vests. The guy featured in the article is not a veteran. He is a member of a m/c club that focuses on supporting veterans with an association with the local American Legion post. As such they were simply being subjected to the same rules as everyone else with regard to m/c club outerwear. It's not allowed.

Apparently the night club applies the same rule to everyone, regardless of how innocent or not the club is that is identified by the jackets and vests. In this case Spyder Ryders, Goldwing riders, Christian m/c riders, American Legion Riders, etc., are lumped in with Hell's Angels. There is no indication that I see of the guy being singled out, but rather he was treated the same as any other rider with a vest or jacket. He needs to just live with it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: Are you saying that I couldn't wear my (latest) favorite Tee-Shirt out on the Town?

Oh, you could wear it 'out on the town,' but you could be refused to be let into an establishment, restaurant, etc.

Now, if it were the actual truth, there might be a couple of 'places' that would welcome you in.

Pun fully intended,

Jerry Baumchen

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AS usual both sides are a little right. They have the right to refuse service and you have the right to spend your money some place else.

IMO a lot worse was a CA policeman threatening to write a ticket because the LED American flag's stars are blue. It is the LAW no blue lights on a vehicle. I don't care what the ticket might cost, I'd love the opportunity to make it one ugly PR nightmare for some PD dept. This would be one place where the pen is mightier than the sword.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are club patches and there are gang patches. It's too bad the general public can't distinguish between the two.

Like it said, the fellow left before the manager could offer to check their coats. Or they could have left them with the bikes.

After that thing happened at a restaurant in Texas, I can see how an establishment would want to prevent such a thing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    AS usual both sides are a little right. They have the right to refuse service and you have the right to spend your money some place else.

IMO a lot worse was a CA policeman threatening to write a ticket because the LED American flag's stars are blue. It is the LAW no blue lights on a vehicle. I don't care what the ticket might cost, I'd love the opportunity to make it one ugly PR nightmare for some PD dept. This would be one place where the pen is mightier than the sword.
    Thats also where there is the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law". Which folks hope the cops understand the diff. And that the cop isnt a ticket writing jerk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

And then, there is this place near Fairbanks Alaska:

and...they have T-shirts...

Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-02-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red