Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default test kill switch

have 2010 rts se5 and bike is completely dead...nothing comes on when key is on...tested battery and it is fully charged..the kill switch may be the problem since it is suddenly very hard to switch on and off... is there a way to test or bypass the kill switch???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you pop the switch open (remove the mounting screws), and see what might have it jammed-up?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

From your description it is not the kill switch. It is nothing but a yes no input to the ECM. If the kill switch was stuck in an engine off position. Everything would act normally, except nothing would happen when you press the start button. The gauges will light up and the running lights will come on. The problem is somewhere else. Loose, corroded connection, blown fuse or a loose/bad relay.

PS Also the ignition switch connector may have come loose.
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-26-2016 at 08:02 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you pop the switch open (remove the mounting screws), and see what might have it jammed-up?
    I would not recommend that. From the description it can't be the kill switch. So you would risk breaking something that is not broke.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

Not the kill switch...As billybovine stated you need to look elsewhere. Once you find the problem (Battery, fuses, connections etc) you will be able to confirm if the kill switch is actually bad cause it will not crank. Blow some compressed air or WD40 around the switch to free it up. Good luck and do let us know what you find...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since the O.P. mentioned that the switch was very hard to turn on and off: it would appear that something in there bears closer scrutiny... even if it's not the cause of his problem.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    have 2010 rts se5 and bike is completely dead...nothing comes on when key is on...tested battery and it is fully charged..the kill switch may be the problem since it is suddenly very hard to switch on and off... is there a way to test or bypass the kill switch???
    will check the grounds and the battery tomorrow...thanks all will let you know the results...the battery is only 3 months old so am hoping it is something simple like that...possible it has a dead short....

Spyder Garage

I'd check the relays in the fuse box, If the battery is good, the next place to go is the relays, everything goes through them.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

well...i started with the grounds and found them to be tight...then started on the fuses...all were ok...decided to remove battery and to my surprise when it was tested it was completely dead...a 4 month old battery...i returned it and was given a new battery and as soon as i hooked it up...everything lit up and bike started right up...thanks to all the suggestions..i would have necer dreamed it would have been a battery....i just spent 8 days in ocean city for bike week and had no issues ...thanks to alll