Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Denzer View Post
    I use a cheapo rechargeable battery-operated screwdriver and a #30 torx bit. Zips off panels in no time. Dzus fasteners make mischief by strangers too easy.
    Yes Pete, I agree. Thats why I use Dzus in places where it is awkward to use the electric screw driver, like the rear splash panel. I plan to order some chrome ones for the panel on the right side that is similar to the oil check panel on the left. I suppose you could use Dzus that require a screwdriver to turn the 90 degrees, if you are worried about vandalism, but the electic driver works well enough, too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Here's what Julie @ KurveyGirl emailed me for part numbers, which i ordered... they work fine. Note, you will have to file down the plastic where the existing clips are (the new ones are wider)--

(2 packages) 4pc - Black Dzus For OEM Plastic Bodywork :
    http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=190
    - (1 package) 4pc - Dzus For OEM Plastic Bodywork :
    http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_i...roducts_id=191

I'll need to order more now that I know they'll work on the splash guard; I presume those are the bolt type, as opposed to the D-ring-type, yes?
    I used the D-rings for the splash panel. It's a lot handier.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have used the d-rings ones and replaced every torx screw that I could. They are extremely convenient when you are taking your body panels off and on quite a bit.

Spyder Garage

Don't they all have D-rings on them?

I still wouldn't recommend the 14mm for the splash panel - need something different to make it work properly without playing with the bend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Don't they all have D-rings on them?

I still wouldn't recommend the 14mm for the splash panel - need something different to make it work properly without playing with the bend.
    Firefly, I must be missing something here. I dont understand why you are having such difficulty or why you would recommend against one of the slickest, cheapest mods possible. The job was EASY! I did not ruin a single fastener and my splash panel is tight and secure. Patience and persistance and you will prevail, throw up your hands and surely you'll fail!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    I have used the d-rings ones and replaced every torx screw that I could. They are extremely convenient when you are taking your body panels off and on quite a bit.
    rleathen, some folks are seeming to have difficulty with installing Dzus on the rear splash panel, though I had no problem, personally. I wonder if you could share any experience with us on this topic? I would hate to see others back away from this worthwhile mod.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    Firefly, I must be missing something here. I dont understand why you are having such difficulty or why you would recommend against one of the slickest, cheapest mods possible. The job was EASY! I did not ruin a single fastener and my splash panel is tight and secure. Patience and persistance and you will prevail, throw up your hands and surely you'll fail!
    Well, I beg to differ about this being an 'easy' mod. I'm very handy and spent 2-3 hours attempting to get them to work properly and it was a nightmare. The Kurvy-girl ones just are not the perfect size - far too wide, and not long enough @ 14mm to do the job easily.

The ones I used on the side panels work quite well and only took minutes to install - but the splashpan just don't work well from my experience. Perhaps you got your Dzus's from somewhere else?

I think the average person who tries the splash panel with the Kurvy-Girl ones is going to have plenty of problems - so I don't recommend doing it.

The center one in the back in particular is a nightmare - especially if you have the BRP sport rack like I do - no way will it allow you to use the D-ring - so you would have to use a regular screwdriver - which negates the whole point of using Dzus in my view.

It's not often that you would need to remove the back splash anyway - and could be a security risk for those with alarm systems mounted up inside (my Talon alarm is under the back splash).

Glad it worked well for you - but I generally tell things how they are - and if it didn't work well for me - I'm going to let people know so they can avoid problems.

Spyder Garage

I used the D-rings for the splash panel. It's a lot handier.
    The reason I asked, regarding using the D-rings on the splash guard, has to do with how well they hold up with the punishment they may get from the rear tire?

Second question, did you have to file down a lot of the plastic panels to get the clips on? Or do they make a clip that's more narrow, like the BRP ones we're removing?

Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK the DZUS fasteners were the 14mm ones and yes each spot that I used one in required some mod'ing to either the plastic body panel, the fastener backing clip location or the fastener backing clip itself. Most holes in the plastic body panels required me to enlarge the hole in the plastic body panel ever so slightly to allow the fastener to go through. In some places on the frame or body I had to remove small little pieces of plastic or metal so that the backing clip would seat properly. In some cases I had to bend the backing clip a little tighter so that the fastener would catch it better.

On the splash pan I had to do all of the mods as stated above and the center fastener at the top of the splash pan I actually had to remove the d-ring from since the body panel that surrounds the tail lights wasn't wide enough to permit the use of the d-ring in that spot.

The splash pan dzus fasteners have held up quite well. I can say I have not had any problems with them.

Where I have had challenges is on the three I put on the lower right body panel that covers the radiator and cooling fan. It tends to take me a few tries to get the fasteners to catch. I think this is related more to the difficulties I have in getting the body panel lower tabs into the alignment holes. I say that because I have the exact same challenges on the left side body panel with the chrome OEM dzus fasteners.

Easy install....you bet. Quick install....no not really with all of the minor body panel mod'ing and backing clip tweaking necessary. Effective mod....you bet it does make removing the body panels quick and easy. Would I recommend this mod to others...to each his own. I like them however !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    OK the DZUS fasteners were the 14mm ones and yes each spot that I used one in required some mod'ing to either the plastic body panel, the fastener backing clip location or the fastener backing clip itself. Most holes in the plastic body panels required me to enlarge the hole in the plastic body panel ever so slightly to allow the fastener to go through. In some places on the frame or body I had to remove small little pieces of plastic or metal so that the backing clip would seat properly. In some cases I had to bend the backing clip a little tighter so that the fastener would catch it better.

On the splash pan I had to do all of the mods as stated above and the center fastener at the top of the splash pan I actually had to remove the d-ring from since the body panel that surrounds the tail lights wasn't wide enough to permit the use of the d-ring in that spot.

The splash pan dzus fasteners have held up quite well. I can say I have not had any problems with them.

Where I have had challenges is on the three I put on the lower right body panel that covers the radiator and cooling fan. It tends to take me a few tries to get the fasteners to catch. I think this is related more to the difficulties I have in getting the body panel lower tabs into the alignment holes. I say that because I have the exact same challenges on the left side body panel with the chrome OEM dzus fasteners.

Easy install....you bet. Quick install....no not really with all of the minor body panel mod'ing and backing clip tweaking necessary. Effective mod....you bet it does make removing the body panels quick and easy. Would I recommend this mod to others...to each his own. I like them however !
    Thanks for the advice, rleathan. BTW the technique that I use remount the panel with the chrome oem dzus is: spin or dzus off the 4 screws on the black upper " Can-Am" panel and take it off. Then the lower tabs on the yellow (or whatever) panel go in easily and the chrome dzus line up and fasten, no problem. Black panel goes back on over the top lip. No struggling to position yellow panel. Black panel goes on fast with dzus or electric screwdriver.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The DZUS fasteners you guys are talking about I have a question the (mm) rating such as the 14mm is that refering to length-diameter or both?

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

lenght

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reason I asked, regarding using the D-rings on the splash guard, has to do with how well they hold up with the punishment they may get from the rear tire?

Second question, did you have to file down a lot of the plastic panels to get the clips on? Or do they make a clip that's more narrow, like the BRP ones we're removing?

Thanks.
    Sorry zerocool, I missed your questions earlier. I haven't had any " punishment" issues. I dont anticipate any, but I guess time will tell. Second question, I did not do any filing or grinding or sanding, I simply snipped off the little plastic tabs with diagonal pliers. ( note: I am referring to the back panels here, where they connect to the wheelwell splash panel). Once the tabs were off, clip width became a non-issue. The whole secret here is to GRADUALLY bend the spring clip in. Be patient, you may have to take the back panels off and on a few times, but finally it will work slick, quick and tight. And these were indeed Kurveygirls 14mm Dzus. You may want to leave the back torx in place, especially if you have a luggage rack, but it is easily accessed with a battery driven screwdriver. I use a combination of driver and dzus on my spyder, though others will differ.
    Last edited by Neez; 06-23-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry zerocool, I missed your questions earlier. I haven't had any " punishment" issues. I dont anticipate any, but I guess time will tell. Second question, I did not do any filing or grinding or sanding, I simply snipped off the little plastic tabs with diagonal pliers. ( note: I am referring to the back panels here, where they connect to the wheelwell splash panel). Once the tabs were off, clip width became a non-issue. The whole secret here is to GRADUALLY bend the spring clip in. Be patient, you may have to take the back panels off and on a few times, but finally it will work slick, quick and tight. And these were indeed Kurveygirls 14mm Dzus. You may want to leave the back torx in place, especially if you have a luggage rack, but it is easily accessed with a battery driven screwdriver. I use a combination of driver and dzus on my spyder, though others will differ.
    Thanks Neez.

Last question, I promise... did you have to file/snip the plastic where the Dzus go for the black side panels?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Neez.

Last question, I promise... did you have to file/snip the plastic where the Dzus go for the black side panels?
    Zerocool, consider the black, back side panels now. The ones with the Spyder logo. If you wish to put dzus in the front 2 fasteners, you must widen the notch to conform to the width of the female dzus. Cut the notch by whatever means, but equally on each side to keep the hole centered. These 2 are easy and obvious. The back 3 fasteners, underneath are where some folks have trouble, apparently. Here is where you use the snips to remove the little tabs that center the torx nuts on the hole. That done, the dzus nut can be pushed down so that it aligns with the hole in the plastic. It is then ready for bending adjustment as I previously described. The final screw, at the back of the splash wheelwell is, as Firefly noted, a problem. I did not convert this screw to dzus as I have the Industries 7 rack and it is easier here for me to use my electric screwdriver with right angle adapter, or a hand screwdriver if I am on the road.In fact, if you do up this screw first, it helps line up the 6 dzus underneath. I did not find any need to open any holes in the plastic for the male dzus, I simply placed a nylon washer on the pin, pushed the pin through the hole, then placed a second washer on the pin to prevent it from dropping out. I am certainly no expert here, having done this job only once, but these methods worked well for me and I hope they will for you, too.

Spyder Garage

I just replaced all but four of my torx screws with Dzus fastenders (ran out of Dzus fasteners). I used a combination of d-ring and button head Dzus. The work was done over two Saturdays. The splash pan was done with button heads on the first weekend. What a pain in the butt this was, just as reported by others. The Dzus nuts had to be compressed, also as reported by others, and I thought they would be worse than the torx problem I was avoiding. By the second Saturday, the button heads had settled in and they worked perfectly, just as easy as can be. None of the other panels were a problem. There was a lot of cutting required. I used black d-rings on the black panels, and silver d-rings on my red panels.

I am very pleased with the end result. This is a great mod. My service technicians will love it even more than I do.