Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hard turns in the twisties.

I'm looking for your input.

I took a long winding curve at 70+ with me leaning like usual. I noticed I was getting a back and forth swaying motion. I'm running my front shocks and the next to stiffest setting. 20lbs in front tires and 30lbs in rear. I have had the front tires off the ground a few times in some hard turns and nanny kicked in just like the book says.

Do I need to put more force into my leans and get more aggressive lateral movement across the seat? I'm thinking about putting on an Evoluzione performance sway bar. I read some good things about it.

Thanks in advance

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt John View Post

I took a long winding curve at 70+ with me leaning like usual. I noticed I was getting a back and forth swaying motion. I'm running my front shocks and the next to stiffest setting. 20lbs in front tires and 30lbs in rear. I have had the front tires off the ground a few times in some hard turns and nanny kicked in just like the book says.

Do I need to put more force into my leans and get more aggressive lateral movement across the seat? I'm thinking about putting on an Evoluzione performance sway bar. I read some good things about it.

Thanks in advance
    The sway bar will help... but so will some butt shifting to the inside of the turn. I run the sway bar and would not do without it.

Leaning... lean inside and forward... try to "kiss" the inside hand grip... but sometimes (really aggressive cornering), the butt shift is the added plus.

The only other thing I can tell you... and this is my opinion and you should do what feels right to you... I never let off on the throttle in a curve. I set up ahead of time and just go for it. The few times I've entered "hotter" than expected, I just turn, lean and shift more. I learned in the first month or so that letting off of the throttle... or braking... in a curve TO ME is just an invitation to disaster... the roadster becomes a little "unglued" at that stage. I've never asked the Spyder for "more" without getting more... while doing my part.

Again, that's just my opinion and you should ride to the degree with which you are comfortable and... within your own skill set.

Last edited by ataDude; 07-05-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

High speed corners on an ATV or snowmobile require serious movement into the curve - slide way over and put your weight on the inside leg/foot. The difference is truly amazing.

Spyder Garage

They are correct Randy. On this vehicle, getting your weight forward and to the inside of the turn is the thing to do. That includes sliding your butt, not just leaning.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    They are correct Randy. On this vehicle, getting your weight forward and to the inside of the turn is the thing to do. That includes sliding your butt, not just leaning.

Move the butt and lean hard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt John View Post

Thanks in advance
    I've noticed the same thing. I too set the springs and upped the tire pressures. Also added Ken Z's sway bar. These things helped a bunch. I was still getting that, what I call "sawing" , in the corners. With a little more seat time I realized that the problem was the stock seat and handlebars. For me, they pitched me forward causing too much steering input because I was also supporting myself with my arms instead of my butt. A new Comfort Seat and risers are on the way. I hope that helps...good luck.

Tripod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also run the sway bar and it helps a lot. As ataDude said I try not to decelerate in a turn, but also try not to take them too fast either.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I tried something other than buying $1300 shocks.

$70 Spring rubbers.

http://www.acrotechinc.com/high_perf...e_urethane.htm#

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185 View Post
    I tried something other than buying $1300 shocks.

$70 Spring rubbers.

http://www.acrotechinc.com/high_perf...e_urethane.htm#

What size did you use?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    What size did you use?

Atadude...I used the "black" K-600A 500-2464.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twodog185 View Post
    Atadude...I used the "black" K-600A 500-2464.
    Thanks!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How many each side??