Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortie advice

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Default Shortie advice

So...I'm seriously looking now for an F3. I went to a dealer today and asked some questions. I learned that, because I'm short, I will need my pegs in the #2 position (~$50) and I will also need to spend $450 to switch the handlebars in order to get me to the A position. Seriously? I'm spending all of this $$$$ and I have to pay to switch the stock bars? I thought this was a UFIT system and it was all part of the cost of your new F3?!

is there another option for the handlebars?

Spyder Garage

I am thinking the dealer should eat any costs of making the fit you. It should be part of the deal. Let me guess, MSRP for the price?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I haven't talked prices yet, still just feeling the different dealers out. This conversation took place at a grand opening in PA.

Spyder Garage

I'm tall and my dealer switched mine to fit me at no cost.
    And even if you do have to pay for different bars they are only $150, not $450.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

They were happy change anything I wanted for a cost. There should be a disclaimer on Can Ams website that says, yes this will fit you but be prepared to pay another $500 on top of the cost of the bike if you aren't average size.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

this is the one reason i felt that you should be able to buy a bike like you order a car. when i bought my rt, i ordered the comfort seat. i paid for the seat, but they installed it for free

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I'm tall and my dealer switched mine to fit me at no cost.
    And even if you do have to pay for different bars they are only $150, not $450.
    The chrome handlebars might be that high... the Black ones certainly aren't!

When I was getting my Missus fitted for an F3-Limited; she ended up needing the shortest possible reach bars, and the floorboards mounted in the number one position. (The dealer would just swap out the parts, and make the bike fit her for NO extra charge!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got the parts for free and $90 install fee. Was OK with that - got them down $4500 off MSRO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh no..!!

Looks like you need to start doing some negociating... it should be set up to fit you, now after purchase it's your dime. If they won't you may have to check a few other dealers...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    So...I'm seriously looking now for an F3. I went to a dealer today and asked some questions. I learned that, because I'm short, I will need my pegs in the #2 position (~$50) and I will also need to spend $450 to switch the handlebars in order to get me to the A position. Seriously? I'm spending all of this $$$$ and I have to pay to switch the stock bars? I thought this was a UFIT system and it was all part of the cost of your new F3?!

You went to the wrong stealer, I mean dealer. Motorsports Inc. DID NOT CHARGE to switch bars, or positions! That's why they call it a "UFIT" system. You get the right sizes, for lack of a better word, for FREE! What discount on accessories did they offer? And installs? BTW, I got the #2 position, and the furthest A pull back bars also. But, it's good that you shopped around. Now. Go see Tammy. Great staff, awesome prices! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I went to the grand opening of Brooks Powersports near Hershey today. I won't pay that to change the bars.
    Last edited by Brettssunshine; 07-31-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Are you saying they will charge to adjust the pegs?

I had an adjustment on my boards today on my F3L and they didn't charge me anything. If your answer is yes to my question RUN don't walk from that dealer.

Just from reading this forum there appear to be dealers who will negotiate and deliver the bike to your door.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Are you saying they will charge to adjust the pegs?

I had an adjustment on my boards today on my F3L and they didn't charge me anything. If your answer is yes to my question RUN don't walk from that dealer.

Just from reading this forum there appear to be dealers who will negotiate and deliver the bike to your door.

That at is the approximate cost of the linkage that I will need to get my pegs in the #2 position at this particular dealer. I'm glad to know that this isn't a common practice at most of the dealers. I just couldn't believe I would have to pay that much to get a new Spyder to fit me.

Spyder Garage

I went to the grand opening of Brooks Powersports near Hershey today. I won't pay that to change the bars.
    Good for you! Now run away from that dealer! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm 5' and 110lbs. My dealer didn't charge me anywhere near that for the shortest brake rod and longest handlebar. Some this is bit "fishy" with that dealer!

15' F3S SE6 owner

Spyder Garage

Let us know what actually happens when its time. Sounds like the new dealer either "didn't know" or they were "dialing for more dollars."

Either way, I would avoid the dealer unless they "fess up" and make it right. Time for some pain and suffering like extended warranty, free initial service (3000 mile variety), or maybe a farkle or two.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That at is the approximate cost of the linkage that I will need to get my pegs in the #2 position at this particular dealer. I'm glad to know that this isn't a common practice at most of the dealers. I just couldn't believe I would have to pay that much to get a new Spyder to fit me.
    The dealer is paying for the bars so one way or another you will too. He is either going to charge you more for the bike and change them for "free" or give you a better deal on the cost of the bike and charge you for the bars. just my .2

Everyone is so quick to jump down the dealer's throats!

Also, the $450 is for chrome. Go for black like stock and will be much less. $150 I believe

Spyder Garage

Have you sat & test drive the bike? I'm <5'2" and the first time I rode it with the settings they had, I initially felt like my arms were stretched out. But the second time around, I felt really comfortable like I melted into the seat. I haven't changed bars or settings at all. But it's your ride, you need to find your comfort.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The chrome handlebars might be that high... the Black ones certainly aren't!

When I was getting my Missus fitted for an F3-Limited; she ended up needing the shortest possible reach bars, and the floorboards mounted in the number one position. (The dealer would just swap out the parts, and make the bike fit her for NO extra charge!)
    So where are the pics of the F3L.......remember it will be for your wife.....until you ryde it....the ........it will be yours! Too much fun to not ryde!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

The dealers are not compensated for the parts or labor to change the handlebars or foot pegs and many, probably most, dealers do not have all the different handlebars and brake/shift rods in stock. As stated one way or another you will be paying for it. No need to get mad at the dealers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    The dealers are not compensated for the parts or labor to change the handlebars or foot pegs and many, probably most, dealers do not have all the different handlebars and brake/shift rods in stock. As stated one way or another you will be paying for it. No need to get mad at the dealers.
    But they do have to assemble the bike out of the crate. Even if they charge her for the bars (how about a credit for the stock ones they'll keep), they can set up the pegs in which ever setting works for her.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    But they do have to assemble the bike out of the crate. Even if they charge her for the bars (how about a credit for the stock ones they'll keep), they can set up the pegs in which ever setting works for her.
    That's basically it Pattie. It's a wash one way or another. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    So where are the pics of the F3L.......remember it will be for your wife.....until you ryde it....the ........it will be yours! Too much fun to not ryde!
    After a three-day "soak" of the idea: she decided against it...
    No bike for her.... YET!

Actually; I prefer the ergonomics of my RT.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    if you are paying then they should return the originals. When I bought mine I was given back the original bars and links.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seadoomaiden View Post
    Have you sat & test drive the bike? I'm <5'2" and the first time I rode it with the settings they had, I initially felt like my arms were stretched out. But the second time around, I felt really comfortable like I melted into the seat. I haven't changed bars or settings at all. But it's your ride, you need to find your comfort.
    I've been on a couple of test rides and my arms are stretched too far; there is no bend in my elbow.