Spyder Garage

Default checking the oil!

Is it really needed to idle it for 10 minuets after riding it to get it up to the right temp? And after adding oil to let it idle for 10 more to check it again? Just does not compute. Please let me know. Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PROPER TEMP

I think BRP is secretly trying to get us all to waste GAS.............. just check it AFTER you go for a ride ......then you know it's correct when you go for your next ride, etc ...................Let's say you use your Spyder for 3000 rides ( not unusual ) that will equal 500 hrs. of waiting just for the correct engine temp.......I can't imagine how much gas is used in 500 hrs of idling ......................Sooooooooooooo just check it after you ride ........jmho.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Is it really needed to idle it for 10 minuets after riding it to get it up to the right temp? And after adding oil to let it idle for 10 more to check it again? Just does not compute. Please let me know. Thanks.
    If you have a 1330 engine the owners manual says to ride for at least 9 miles, park on a level surface, then idle for 10 minutes. You have to check the oil within 2 minutes of shutting off the engine. Kind of a pain in the butt.

On the 2011 RTS that I had the owners manual said with the engine already warmed up, start and let run for 30 seconds, stop engine wipe off the dip stick, reinsert and completely screw the dipstick in and then check the oil level.

Easier to check the oil level on my lawn more that these thing!
    Last edited by CanAmMick; 07-26-2016 at 10:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes know what the manual says but like Blueknight I see no reason to have to let it idle 10 minuets more after it has been at riding temp. Its just beyound me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by MrBones View Post
    Yes know what the manual says but like Blueknight I see no reason to have to let it idle 10 minuets more after it has been at riding temp. Its just beyound me.
    You may have misinterpreted the manual........ I think it says " It takes at LEAST 10 MINUTES to warm it up " ( ie from cold ) ......... So if you have gone on a ride of at least 10 minutes it is then warmed up, ........ No need to wait another 10 minutes .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Operating temp...

You just need to have the engine at operation temperature. If cold and at idle it may take 10 min's to get there. I just check it and add as needed when I come in from a ryde. Pull in, remove gear, check oil level and ready for the next ryde...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I will also vote for a ride of "at least 10 minutes" to get the critter warmed up to operating temperature. When you get back from your ride, you should be good to go as far as correct temperature for checking the oil.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Cares, please help.

We've asked this same question before SEVERAL times because it is a real pain.
    Something that should be so simple becomes such a complicated sequence.
    The answer from BRP is that you have to allow enough time for the scavenging pumps to do their job and collect all the oil before you measure it.
    That's the technical answer to give you 100% accuracy of the oil level. As an engineer, I understand this all too well.
    On a practical basis, my one question has never been answered and that is this:
    What's the difference in accuracy between just measuring the oil level cold, or measuring the oil level after going through the whole factory designed procedure.
    In other words, is the cold reading off by one ounce, or is it off by a quart.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    We've asked this same question before SEVERAL times because it is a real pain.
    Something that should be so simple becomes such a complicated sequence.
    The answer from BRP is that you have to allow enough time for the scavenging pumps to do their job and collect all the oil before you measure it.
    That's the technical answer to give you 100% accuracy of the oil level. As an engineer, I understand this all too well.
    On a practical basis, my one question has never been answered and that is this:
    What's the difference in accuracy between just measuring the oil level cold, or measuring the oil level after going through the whole factory designed procedure.
    In other words, is the cold reading off by one ounce, or is it off by a quart.

Don't know what year the owners manuals changed but there used to be a procedure for checking the oil level cold as well as hot. The jest of it was if there was oil on the bottom of the dipstick when cold, it would be in the middle of the operating range when hot.

After verification of the levels hot and cold on several 1330s, the same holds true for them although the cold level is about 1/4 inch on the dipstick. I believe they took the second procedure out as it was causing confusion.

I always check mine in the morning dead cold. Much more convenient. Also the 1330s just do not use as much oil so I do not check every time we ride anymore.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"In order to perform the engine oil level
    verification, the engine must be at normal
    operating temperature.
    1. Take a ride of at least 15 km (9 mi).
    2. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    3. Let the engine idle for 10 minutes."

Copy and paste: right out of the manual...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "In order to perform the engine oil level
    verification, the engine must be at normal
    operating temperature.
    1. Take a ride of at least 15 km (9 mi).
    2. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    3. Let the engine idle for 10 minutes."

Copy and paste: right out of the manual...

Yes, but they used to also publish a cold procedure. I'll do some looking in old manuals and see if I can find it. Regardless, it works and is much easier. I do not care if the level is RIGHT at a specific level. Anywhere in the normal operating range is fine. Its actually a pretty wide spread where the engine is quite happy. No reason to obsess over specific levels. Do not overfill, add oil if its below the bottom mark. Anywhere in between is just dandy.

i found it. 2013 operation guide page 129:

The oil level dipstick is accuratewhen the oil temperature is at80°C (176°F). If the oil level is checkedwhen the oil is at room temperature20°C (68°F), the proper oil level indicationis half way between the lower(ADD) and upper (F) marks on the dipstick.This must be considered to preventoverfilling the oil tank.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 07-27-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

just did my first oil change yesterday. ran it 12 miles, came back and let it idle 4 or 5
    minutes. shut off and checked .right at the max . also never dropped in the 2400 miles
    of break in.

just went and checked it after 16 hrs and the level is the same as last night!! ???
    huh?? figured it woulda drained down.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post
    My 2008 manual says between the marks on dipstick... cold. That's good enough for me.
    On the face of it, that really has to be the best way to check the oil level.
    Imagine that your oil is low. According to the factory, you have to go out and ride the spyder first, then check it to find out if the oil is low.
    So in essence, you may be damaging your engine by running it while low on oil, in order to find out if the oil is low.
    Sounds like something the Democrats would legislate.
    OOPS, did I type that out loud ?
    Back up.................. erase that.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Talked about this very subject to mechanic yesterday. Said after riding, and you shut it off, you could check it. If it is still hot, but sat for a bit, start for about 30 seconds, (idling, NO REVVING engine), shut off, and promptly check. Said if you overfill and run that way, you run the chance of it getting into your air filter somehow and can be quite a mess.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi ThreeWheels,

Re: On the face of it, that really has to be the best way to check the oil level.

I'm a ret'd Mech Engr and think that the best way is to check it cold. Yes, I know: YMMV.

So, here goes; and if I am wrong, please correct me as I would welcome it.

These are a dry sump system, the oil is held in a reservoir outside of the engine; not in the engine as almost every car engine is.

That means that when your engine is running/hot, there is oil from the reservoir that is now in the oil galleys of the engine. Your car engine is the same except that you have oil from your oil pan in the engine.

When the engine is cold there should be more oil in the resevoir because the oil gallleys have drained and this oil is now added to the reservoir.

So I did an experiment ( just once so far ). I made sure that my oil in the reservoir was exactly as I could get it at the FULL mark when the engine was hot. I waited about 3-4 hours and rechecked it. The oil level was at the very top edge of the F on the dipstick. The top edge of the F is about 5/16" ( 8 mm ) above the FULL mark. Also, from the very bottom of the dipstick to the FULL mark is 1 1/8" ( 29 mm ) by my measurement.

Spyder dipstick.jpg

Anybody have any thoughts to add?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) OOpsie, I forgot to say that mine is an '08 with the 998 engine just so there is no mistake about the above.

Spyder Garage

Default checking the oil

I have the 2016 f3t I rode it 9 miles but could not find a level spot out there what do I do? If I ryde back it will be 18 miles

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just check it when I get back from a ride, 20 or 100 miles.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default keep ridin'

Quote Originally Posted by ralph12345678910 View Post
    I have the 2016 f3t I rode it 9 miles but could not find a level spot out there what do I do? If I ryde back it will be 18 miles
    Congratulations...you've found the right roads to ride, so ride another 50 miles while grinning ear-to-ear...that way, you'll ensure that the oil temp is proper.
    (seriously, folks, just follow the manual to be safe, and ride, ride, ride)
    JB
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Read the very first post in this thread about the scavenge pumps and you'll see why BRP wants the engine to idle for 10 minutes before checking the oil level. How you measure your oil level is your business.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ngined-Spyders
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default That sounds better

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You may have misinterpreted the manual........ I think it says " It takes at LEAST 10 MINUTES to warm it up " ( ie from cold ) ......... So if you have gone on a ride of at least 10 minutes it is then warmed up, ........ No need to wait another 10 minutes .......Mike
    Now that makes a lot more sense.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree with Mike

I check mine when I come in from a ride. Plenty hot. No waiting. If I take it just to go pick something up I've already checked it when hot from a real ride when it was plenty hot. I lead a ride every Tuesday for a group in our development so I basically check it on Tuesday when I pull in the garage.