Spyder Garage

Default Trailer lights out

On our trip last weekend, the trailer lights went out on me. Since all the lights went out, I'm thinking that the converter is bad or lost connection. Since it was dealer installed I don't know where they installed it or how much trouble it is to get to. Any one have idea's? Since I'm not pulling a Can Am trailer I think they might balk at warranty and I don't want to pay 300.00 to find out.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LIGHTS OUT CHECK THIS - FIRST

Before spending money ...... How is the trailer grounded to the Spyder ???... Don't rely on the common ground to frame......Make sure you have a continuous ground through your plug into the Spyder ground..............A number of folks here had this cause their TRAILER LIGHT ISSUES..........Mike

Spyder Garage

It's got a ground wire, but I haven't checked yet if it's actually grounded. Good idea to check that first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by uralski View Post
    It's got a ground wire, but I haven't checked yet if it's actually grounded. Good idea to check that first.
    By your answer I am guessing you did not get Mike's point. Does your trailer have a ground wire running from the trailer plug all the way to the main lights on the back of the trailer. It can be connected to the frame along the way. If only connected to the tongue may not be good enough. If connected to the tongue only and grounding straps making a good circuit to the rear lights is good too, just not as easy to troubleshoot. If not the lousy connection on the ground side caused the module to fail.

First step check the fuse. Your owner's manual will give you the location.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This link might help you find the module: http://instructions.brp.com/e-instru...=2&val=trailer module

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    By your answer I am guessing you did not get Mike's point. Does your trailer have a ground wire running from the trailer plug all the way to the main lights on the back of the trailer. It can be connected to the frame along the way. If only connected to the tongue may not be good enough. If connected to the tongue only and grounding straps making a good circuit to the rear lights is good too, just not as easy to troubleshoot. If not the lousy connection on the ground side caused the module to fail.

First step check the fuse. Your owner's manual will give you the location.
    I guess I did miss his point. I had done a quick test light check at the plug and nothing. So that led me to believe it was the converter. I don't think there would be one fuse for all the lights (tail, brake, Turn signals)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    This link might help you find the module: http://instructions.brp.com/e-instru...=2&val=trailer module
    Thanks this helps. If it's not to hot this weekend I will try some more trouble shooting

Spyder Garage

Default Your module is probably blown.

I had the same thing happen. Non BRP trailer, blew the control module. 1st time it happened, dealer contacted BRP, and they changed it out under warranty. Said if it happened again, it would not be covered. Long story short, I was on a long trip and it happened again the same day the dealer had replaced it. I had heard about the grounding issues, and I'm guessing the looseness of the hitch connection may have something to do with this happening. I decided on trading it on a new freedom trailer, which of course Pit Bull Powersports was more than happy to oblige me. No problem since.

Hopefully, your dealer will replace the module first time for you under warranty, but do as others suggest. Put the direct ground wire in and don't rely on the grounding plug and hitch connection. It will do it again. Or you could just spend the extra and get a freedom trailer or find an good deal on a hard to get 622 trailer.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by uralski View Post
    I guess I did miss his point. I had done a quick test light check at the plug and nothing. So that led me to believe it was the converter. I don't think there would be one fuse for all the lights (tail, brake, Turn signals)
    There is a fuse that feeds power to the converter that powers all the trailer lights.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexAmRider View Post
    I had the same thing happen. Non BRP trailer, blew the control module. 1st time it happened, dealer contacted BRP, and they changed it out under warranty. Said if it happened again, it would not be covered. Long story short, I was on a long trip and it happened again the same day the dealer had replaced it. I had heard about the grounding issues, and I'm guessing the looseness of the hitch connection may have something to do with this happening. I decided on trading it on a new freedom trailer, which of course Pit Bull Powersports was more than happy to oblige me. No problem since.

Hopefully, your dealer will replace the module first time for you under warranty, but do as others suggest. Put the direct ground wire in and don't rely on the grounding plug and hitch connection. It will do it again. Or you could just spend the extra and get a freedom trailer or find an good deal on a hard to get 622 trailer.
    But if the 622 trailer is a 10 to 12 it has to have the updated wiring or you will have the same problem.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There is a fuse that feeds power to the converter that powers all the trailer lights.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    I found that out-that's the first time I've run into that. The fuse looked good but I changed it out and now the lights work. Will have to check the ground situation on the trailer.