Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak already?

Brand new 2015 F3 SE6. I have 200 miles on the bike. Yes the oil cap is on tight. Took if for a ride today. Found oil splatter on the right side of the engine. Parked it in the gargage. A couple hours later this was on the garage floor under the right side of the bike. And so it begins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deer30084; 07-14-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

The good news, it should be under warranty. Let the dealer have it back and solve the issue. To early in the game for problems to crop up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

To both the spyder world and the best place to be if not ryding..nice ryde.. I would wipe it all up and take another ryde and see if it reoccurs. Could be residue from set up. If you have been ryding for some time and this has popped up still be nice to know where it is coming from and may be a loose something. But it is a small leak and it is covered so you can let them deal with it....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well that sucks.

Spyder Garage

John, Not to worry. My brand-new 2016 Harley Tri Glide started leaking radiator fluid just after the 1000 mile service. The dealership had to replace a few defective plumbing parts and a defective painted part and the trike was down for 10 days. It kind of gave me a case of the "yips" where I expected another shoe to drop, but 11,500 miles later, not a hiccup. All manufactured products can have early problems as evidenced by my wife's 2015 Subaru Forester that had defective rear wheel bearings at 12k miles. It is not necessarily indicative of things to come and the dealer will make it right. BTW, congrats on the new bike. I picked up a factory demonstrator F3-S with manual 6-speed about 2 weeks ago with 6k miles. Your local dealer reportedly has a history of being able to fix Spyders that other dealers have had difficulties with and their tech Allen is certified on many Spyders and his list is growing. Bob
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 07-12-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the world of BRP

PAY FOR MECEDES AND GET A GMC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If its not an overfill or residue, take t back to the dealer I am sure they just need to tighten things up. Don't over react like some.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    If its not an overfill or residue, take t back to the dealer I am sure they just need to tighten things up. Don't over react like some.
    I know what you mean by reacting like some. I've read a lot of posts on this site. I'm just putting the truth out there. I've had oil leaks in vehicles before. It will get fixed.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    Brand new 2015 F3 SE6. I have 200 miles on the bike. Yes the oil cap is on tight. Took if for a ride today. Found oil splatter on the right side of the engine. Parked it in the gargage. A couple hours later this was on the garage floor under the right side of the bike. And so it begins.
    "and so it begins"????

So what begins, the fun of riding?
    Or is it the complaining because you have read a few negative things about Spyders and BRP?

Take it in to get it fixed, have a good attitude towards the dealer, and see how your experience is. It just might surprise you!

I could spend all day complaining about every new vehicle I have purchased that I had to have warranty work done on. The Fords, the Chrysler, the Jeep, the Chevy's, the GMC, the Scion, and the Lexus that is still getting notices in the mail on potential problems that are going to be covered after warranty is up.

The difference is I took them in, had them repaired at NO cost to me, expected the best out of them, and ALL of them were great and dependable vehicles.
    1989 Astro Van 189,000 miles, 1995 Chevy truck 212,000 miles, 2005 jeep wrangler 92,000, Scion, 89,000, 2003 Envoy 318,000, 2007 Lexus rx400H 245,000.
    All had small problems when first purchased but were and are great transportation.

I won't get into the Motorcycles I have owned that had a few slight problems in the first few months of ownership, but turned out great because it would be too long of a post.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 07-13-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    "and so it begins"????

So what begins, the fun of riding?
    Or is it the complaining because you have read a few negative things about Spyders and BRP?

Take it in to get it fixed, have a good attitude towards the dealer, and see how your experience is. It just might surprise you!

I could spend all day complaining about every new vehicle I have purchased that I had to have warranty work done on. The Fords, the Chrysler, the Jeep, the Chevy's, the GMC, the Scion, and the Lexus that is still getting notices in the mail on potential problems that are going to be covered after warranty is up.

The difference is I took them in, had them repaired at NO cost to me, expected the best out of them, and ALL of them were great and dependable vehicles.
    1989 Astro Van 189,000 miles, 1995 Chevy truck 212,000 miles, 2005 jeep wrangler 92,000, Scion, 89,000, 2003 Envoy 318,000, 2007 Lexus rx400H 245,000.
    All had small problems when first purchased but were and are great transportation.

I won't get into the Motorcycles I have owned that had a few slight problems in the first few months of ownership, but to out great because it would be too long of a post.
    I guess what what I meant by "and so it begins" is my frustration. It could be nothing, but I've had frustrating problems with vehicles before, one in particular where I repeatedly took it back to the dealer for the same problem. I won't get into any pi$$ing contests with anyone and I don't mean to get on anyone's nerves. I like this site for the information everyone provides and for solutions to problems. I will have a positive attitude with the dealer. One thing I've learned in life: Don't rush or piss off your cooks, mechanics, or medical people. I really like riding the Spyder. BTW: I got 102,000 miles on a 1978 Chevy Chevette. Thanks for your input.

Update: Just called my local dealer where I bought it. Said it shouldn't be doing that. Said they will come to my house and pick it up after I get off work. Can't beat that! Yea!
    Last edited by deer30084; 07-13-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Update: Just called my local dealer where I bought it. Said it shouldn't be doing that. Said they will come to my house and pick it up after I get off work. Can't beat that! Yea!
    John, Those folks at Orion Motorsports seem to be on the ball and very interested in providing good customer care. Zach and his team will get that thing dry as a bone before you know it. Thanks for the positive update.

Spyder Garage

Hi deer30084,
    Glad your dealer is on top of it. Please let us know how everything turns out. If you like, you can drop me an email at brp.care@brp.com with your VIN and I'll make sure we follow-up with the dealer to ensure everything's taken care of quickly.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Default Minor Issues or Big pains

I'm just a lurking user who doesn't yet have a BRP/Cam Am Spyder but I do have a 2015 Indian Chieftain that runs and performs perfectly except for one little minor nuisance. If my kickstand is down and I use the windshield lift switch it kills the engine. If the kickstand is up I can use the windshield button without any problem. I took the bike back to the dealer where they spent almost two weeks tracing the problem and confirming it with Polaris. The verdict is that I have a faulty wiring harness and a new one has been ordered and mine will be replaced under warranty which will cause me some more downtime. I might just delay that downtime until September when the riding season is ending since the bike works perfectly in every other regard. I understand you have a different issue, but if your motor isn't losing much oil you might get by until later as I will.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    I'm just a lurking user who doesn't yet have a BRP/Cam Am Spyder but I do have a 2015 Indian Chieftain that runs and performs perfectly except for one little minor nuisance. If my kickstand is down and I use the windshield lift switch it kills the engine. If the kickstand is up I can use the windshield button without any problem. I took the bike back to the dealer where they spent almost two weeks tracing the problem and confirming it with Polaris. The verdict is that I have a faulty wiring harness and a new one has been ordered and mine will be replaced under warranty which will cause me some more downtime. I might just delay that downtime until September when the riding season is ending since the bike works perfectly in every other regard. I understand you have a different issue, but if your motor isn't losing much oil you might get by until later as I will.
    John lives in North Florida. We don't have an end to our riding season here. January and February can be a bit chilly but can also be in the 70's. I was playing with our new Stand Up Paddle Boards on Lake Hall here in TLH that we got for Christmas on Christmas Day with a high of 80 degrees last December.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default OIl Leak

My 2015 had the same issue. Dipstick was tight but my dealer replaced it because he had seen the issue before. New dipstick cured the problem. 8500 miles later with no issues..

Spyder Garage

Default No Harm - No Foul

I meant no harm and I usually don't reply much on this forum since i don't own a Spyder. I live up in Northwestern Ohio and have a much shorter riding season, usually six to seven months. Sometimes we who ride value our riding so much that we can live with a minor nuisance issue just to keep on riding. I usually ride maybe 8,000 to 10,000 miles in a year. That's quite a bit for where I live.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    I meant no harm and I usually don't reply much on this forum since i don't own a Spyder. I live up in Northwestern Ohio and have a much shorter riding season, usually six to seven months. Sometimes we who ride value our riding so much that we can live with a minor nuisance issue just to keep on riding. I usually ride maybe 8,000 to 10,000 miles in a year. That's quite a bit for where I live.
    Den1953, No harm no foul whatsoever. If we lived in climates where there was a limited riding season, I too would defer anything that was not critical until the end of the season as well. Oil leaks are a little freaky and I am glad that John caught his problem as early on as he did. It will be interesting if all it is is a leaky oil dip stick. I guess better safe than sorry to get his new scoot checked out. Man, you do ride the wheels of your machines in that 6-7 month window. The manufacturers get a break with you folks because you don't operate the machinery year round. Lawn equipment companies in South Florida are using their equipment year-round so the manufacturers have to suck it up a bit for their warranty work but get it back from people who live/work in places like Minnesota/Wisconsin where the Summers are fairly short.
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 07-14-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Issue Resolved

Oil had been blowing out due to it being slightly overfilled prior to delivery. It was NOT a leak. I couldn't ask for better service from Zack and crew at Orion Motorsports, Tallahassee, FL.
    Last edited by deer30084; 07-14-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oil had been blowing out due to it being slightly overfilled prior to delivery. It was NOT a leak. I couldn't ask for better service from Zack and crew at Orion Motorsports, Tallahassee, FL.
    "And so it begins".....THE JOY OF RIDING A SPYDER!!!

Have fun with your new machine!!!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE / YOUR DEALER

You might want to ask yourself a couple of questions before you break a leg doing a Happy dance etc.......#1. Did the dealer over-fill it ?????...... or #2. why wasn't the oil checked before delivery ????..... because #3. what if there had been NO OIL in your Spyder at ALL...............Dealers LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Happy customers .....especially when they are HAPPY about errors by the dealership..........................I made these re-marks just to help you to be a wiser consumer - nothing more ......Enjoy.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You might want to ask yourself a couple of questions before you break a leg doing a Happy dance etc.......#1. Did the dealer over-fill it ?????...... or #2. why wasn't the oil checked before delivery ????..... because #3. what if there had been NO OIL in your Spyder at ALL...............Dealers LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Happy customers .....especially when they are HAPPY about errors by the dealership..........................I made these re-marks just to help you to be a wiser consumer - nothing more ......Enjoy.....Mike
    Yes Blueknight. I'll never know when, where or who over filled it. But that's ok. Caught it at 200 miles so no harm done. It wasn't me because i didn't put any oil in it.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Yes Blueknight. I'll never know when, where or who over filled it. But that's ok. Caught it at 200 miles so no harm done. It wasn't me because i didn't put any oil in it.
    John, Don't let Bluenight's observations let any doubt creep into your psyche. The oily gremlins came late in the night and put a few teaspoons of extra oil in the tank and that is how it came to be slightly overfilled. The dealership warded off those oily gremlins and all is well in the world. They likely will never be back to mess with you as long as your warranty is intact. Do watch out for the million other gremlins that we could sensitize you too if we are given enough time.

Just go out, break that puppy in properly, and then ride it like you stole it.

Spyder Garage

A guess on what happened. I am on my 3rd Spyder and 2nd 1330, also many mc's over the years. The higher paid techs usually don't do oil changes and are not used to the different sumps on different mc's. The Canams must be warmed up prior to checking the level and if the oil was checked cold an extra quart could be added. When I had my last oil change I told the change tech 5.2 quarts. He called me back to the shop later and showed the dip stick with low oil and wanted to add more. I told him no and why and since I live close and had provided the oil I would check when I got home. Checked ok when it warmed.