Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How long did it take you to recover, and resume your normal daily activities?
    (I'm trying to figure out the best time of year to have this done... I kind of have to be mobile during the Winter (for shoveling), but am wondering how much "Spydering-Time", I might lose in the Spring.
    I had both knees replaced right before Thanksgiving. I was back to work on January 2, but did do work from home. When you get the knees done, they will have you up and walking the next day. I was riding the first available time to ride the next Spring. You will not lose anytime riding at all. Snow shoveling might be a good physical therapy thing.

I stopped all pain meds the second day after the replacement, On the meds I thought I was Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory. Yeah there is stiffness but that goes away. I would say I was fully walking freely with in 3 weeks.

Now I have to contend with a bad ankle which needs attention

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Default Cane

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Ok guys I got bad knees. Left is worse than the right. I am not ready for a knee replacement, at least mentally. I use a cane a lot of the time, today I had an appointment at the VA hospital and when I got off the Spyder knee went out and it was limp, limp, limp the rest of the day. Plus it hurts like hell when it happens. Any ideas of how to attach my walking cane to my Spyder? In such a way that I won't get impaled if something happens?
    I use an adjustable cane, it fits in the front trunk just barely when collapsed all the way............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Willie,
    Thanks! That at least gives me an idea of what the timeframe can look like!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I carry a collapsable cane in the frunk. I have seen others attach a full cane to the grab bar on the passenger seat.
    ​Me too.

Spyder Garage

I had a full knee replacement in February. I bought the Spyder before the surgery because I didn't think I could ride the Gold Wing afterwards, at least for a awhile. It took me many years to finally get the surgery and it was a decision too long in coming. I was almost pain free and the limp was gone.

For the OP: I was back on the Spyder after 2-3 weeks, driving in 3 weeks, and back to work in 4 weeks. It took a few weeks to be able to bend the knee enough to get on the bike and in the car. Lost the the cane the 4th week also.

The key is to get a good surgeon, do all the physical therapy and keep doing the exercises for months after the surgery. Oh, and have a goal to get riding again as soon as possible.

Spyder Garage

Default Cane holders plus

As I read all the personalized solutions, I couldn't help but chime in. As a left aka (above kenne amputee for you Bob D&#128521 I need crutches when traveling overnight. As a solution a chrome rack mounted to the top/back trunk lid works wonders. It allows for the crutches to be fixed to the bike securely as well as room for an overnight or longer soft side luggage.

Prior or to the rack it was nightmarish to secure the cane I used in rehab until I also used a collapsible type.

Anyway you go about it Ryde on and Ryde safely.

Spyder Garage

With the Knee replacement a few years ago and now a hip replacement I ran a bunge cord between the passenger hand grips. Just wrap the cane a couple times in the bunge and it never moved. Quick inexpensive fix. Glad to be walking without the cane now.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I usually carry an adjustable walking stick on my RT. My walk assist tool is a hiking stick. I simply put it on the passenger seat and bungee it to the passenger hand holds. If I'm traveling I just throw a bag over it and bungee the bag. Cheap, quick and secure.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are correct: these things rarely stay the way that they are.
    Was it John from Seal, who makes them?
    Yes Bob, I make the Seal Tote Golf/ Walker unit. I was going to recommend it but all the comments on the folding cand makes mor sense than spending the one for my set-up. If his knees get worse like ind did, then it will make a lot more sense IF he needs to carry walker, like I did. Sooner or later, knee replacement will be required to get rid f the pain. This growing old stuff is hard work. now it's my shoulder that needs replacing. The point is to continue to keep on keep'in on and......do what we can to Ride in Comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Cane in front hatch, old ship yard worker slang,

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Ok guys I got bad knees. Left is worse than the right. I am not ready for a knee replacement, at least mentally. I use a cane a lot of the time, today I had an appointment at the VA hospital and when I got off the Spyder knee went out and it was limp, limp, limp the rest of the day. Plus it hurts like hell when it happens. Any ideas of how to attach my walking cane to my Spyder? In such a way that I won't get impaled if something happens?
    I too need a cane at times, bought a metal, adjustable cane and extra rubber tips to fit. Press button and pull cane apart, two pieces, turn handle upside down and put in hatch, put extra rubber tip on bottom portion, will have tip on both ends, put in hatch with handle. The secondrubber tip just keeps end from possibly cutting hatch liner as it is shorter than handle end. Take tip off, toss in hatch, put cane together, lock hatch and start walking. Works for me, no one can steal, always handy, out of weather and cheap!
    Keep your knees in the breeze, Niterider
    2015 RTS , Stock Black Rubber Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    This growing old stuff is hard work.
    I picked up a book at a tag sale about 12 yrs ago. Title is " Growing old is not for sissies ". It was only .50 cents. It's pictures and story's of Senior athletes. 80 year old triathlon runners, 90 yr old power lifters. Lol . I figured that later on if I start feeling sorry for myself I could thumb it and see all is not lost.lol.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    This growing old stuff is hard work.
    That's why I'm planning to remain a "seenager", for as long as possible!

Seenager.jpg

Spyder Garage

That's why I'm planning to remain a "seenager", for as long as possible!

Seenager.jpg
    Good one Bob! Took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck a See-na-ger was

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's the text...

I am a Seenager (Senior teenager).
    I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.
    I don't have to go to school or work.
    I get an allowance every month.
    I have my own pad.
    I don't have a curfew.
    I have a driver's license and my own car.
    I have ID that gets me into bars and the whisky store.
    The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.
    And I don’t have acne.
    Life is great. I have more friends I should send this to,
    but right now I can't remember their names.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did not realize we had that many Spyder lovers in Limp Mode