Thread: 990 vs 1330

Spyder Garage

Default 990 vs 1330

Currently have an RSS
    am looking to see what type of features if any changes besides the motor along the way?
    Did the RT series always have an electronic parking break?
    Any other useful info
    lots of decent deals on the 990 motor bikes used and I have zero problems with the power of that platform.
    Thanka as this is a fairly vague question

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Confused...

You have an RSS so you know all about the V-Twin 998. I assume you are looking at the RT 1330 triple. The RS /RSS/ST still all have the 998. The 1330 comes in the RT and the F3...The RT is pretty much the same except for the motor, transmission, alternator and clutch. They all have electric activated parking brakes. The F3 is totally different...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The basic RT configuration hasn't changed it's content since 2010... Sort of!
    Of course: I'm assuming that you're already aware of the 2014 improvements.
    And they were HUGE improvements!!
    Find yourself a 2014 or newer bike, and you'll be much happier!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Honestly what I really was hoping for was a fuel fill like on the f3 but on the RT
    saves from having to replace or cut a brand new seat to make it easier for gassing up for someone who can't just get on and off the spyder

Spyder Garage

so actually there is no such thing for any year on an RT. You either put a filler cap thru the seat on the outside or you cut the backing of the stock seat so the ear will fold away from the gas tank filler then you can just reach in and undo the cap and pump all the fuel you want.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 06-27-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    so actually there is no such thing for any year on an RT. You either put a filler cap thru the seat on the outside or you cut the backing of the stock seat so the ear will fold away from the gas tank filler then you can just reach in and undo the cap and pump away.
    Aware there has yet to be such a thing. Same reason our RsS has a door flap seat. Just was one of the things I was hoping to see a change for the 2017.
    No reason besides my own not wanting to upgrade / modify a seat on a 20-30k bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but then I rarely subscribe to wisdom.

I now have a 1330 and rode a 998 RT for five years.
    I miss the Vtwin.
    The sound it made as it wound up was music to my ears.
    I had an SE5.
    The SE6 has, IMHO, a needless extra speed.

The 1330's longer maintenance schedule is welcome to some, but I actually enjoyed the cleaning/oil change schedule.
    Everyone talks about the low end torque of the 1330 and they are right, but if you kept the 998 on the power band and drove it the way it was designed the engine is smooth and responsive.

The 1330 is competent and smooth, but there was something about the twin.
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 06-27-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry if I misunderstood you. Your follow up question pertained to fueling an RT in general and didn't reference the 2017 especially until later. However in looking at the pictures and specs on the BRP website there appears to be no change.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As it turns out: fuel doors aren't the "big deal", that they're made out to be!

Fuel door hidden.jpgFuel Door Version 2.jpg

And I certainly don't miss NOT spilling fuel down over the side of the tank!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    ..... but if you kept the 998 on the power band and drive it the way it was designed the engine is smooth and responsive.
    The 1330 is competent and smooth, but there is something about the twin.
    Fixed the 'drove/drive' & 'was/is' errors you made spydercodes, there's nothing 'past tense' about the 998 V-Twin, especially mine! And YES, there certainly is something about those Twins!!

It seems everyone else might be a little too scared (or maybe polite??) to say anything, but after spending more than a couple of days riding a few different versions, & covering well into 4 figures of miles on them, I gotta ask you all, is everyone just ignoring the lazy dog we've been sold in the 1330 ACE motor in the hope it'll go away, or is it cos you are just too embarrassed to comment on how you really see it?? I might be yanking the chain just a little here, but surely I'm not the only one to be a tad underwhelmed with what the 1330 has delivered?? IMO, the V-Twin is a much more vibrant & alive motor than the 1330, & with minor mods (lose the cat converter for starters!) the Twins have scads of mid range poke that quite bluntly, make the 1330 Triple look & sound like an under-powered sewing machine that ran away from home cos it was being bullied by the bigger sewing machines & was trying to hide in shame when it fell into a Spyder frame where it immediately nodded off!! Sure, the 1330 has some noice low down torque & you can tow a trailer readily; hitch up & just go tooling along thumb in bum, mind in neutral, without any risk of raising your pulse rate or ruffling your 'do'; but hey, if that's the sort of adrenalin rush you want why not buy one of those dinky little Mazda sports thingies or a people-mover van...

If you want something that'll get your heart pounding with excitement & joy & keep it going up there, something that'll make your cheeks flush from the wind & your shoulders pleasantly tired from hanging on just to stop you being dumped unceremoniously off the back every time you twist the throttle, then stick with the V-twin 998 & be damned with the slightly higher gas bill & the shorter service interval!! And who said the RT's hadta be staid & virtually lifeless like an OAP's mobility scooter gopher?? Once the heat alleviation work is done, the 2013 RT's have all the suspension & handling mods, all the same characteristics, handling (only better) & improvements of the much touted 2014-on RT's, but bundled up in a substantially lighter package that does all the same stuff and also answers the throttle immediately you twist it cos the motor's designed to spin out to 8+k rpm with power & torque pretty much all the way, yet the Twin has none of the sleepy nature or sewing machine noises you get from the 1330!!

I can appreciate that some might want or even need the extra torque, longer service intervals, & gas usage improvements the 1330 brings to the deal, but to me the 1330 offerings are ribbons & fripperies on an over-weight & lazy motor that's been bundled onto the 2013 frame & running gear & is then being hand fed to the masses like the Emperors New Clothes!! The 2013 V-Twin's are a much more exciting package, they handle just as well as the newer units (or even better, cos they got all those mods & they are lighter too!) and yet they've still got an engine that's awake to deliver an adrenalin rush!! Even the F-3's with their cruiser styling & livelier packaging suffer from the laziness of the 1330 power plant!! Imagine what the F-3'd be like with some forced induction to liven the triple up (the Daytona Turbo Concept made me sit up & drool!!) or maybe an ECU that twists the motors' tail a lot harder teamed with the Daytona's more relaxed Nanny?? I'm certainly not going to give up my much more exciting & lively 2013 V-Twin until BRP do something to liven up that lazy 1330 motor, & please, please, pulease do something about the over-revved sewing machine engine noise exhaust note on the triple! The StraightShot Acropivich is a start, but hey, surely there's a whole lot more that could be done to make it sound like it's awake & working & not a sewing machine?!!

Flame Suit on!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-28-2016 at 08:43 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that you and I can respectfully disagree with one another...
    BRP wasn't building a race-bike: they built a Tourer. The 1330 fulfills THAT role perfectly.
    If you were expecting more: perhaps you're looking for the wrong engine, for the intended application.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen, the verb tense problem is probably for two reasons.
    1.English is my second language, nodding and pointing is my first.
    2. Because I no longer have my twin, I spoke of it in the past tense.

Subject & verb agreement is something that I never watched with much care......

Subject & verb agreement are something that I never watched with much care......
    Subject & verb agreement is something that I never have watched with much care......
    Subject & verb agreement are something that I never watch with much care......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage