Spyder Garage

Default CANADA ROUTE TO VALCOURT

I'm thinking about going across Canada to the Valcourt homecoming. Does anyone have any info on RT 3, the Crowsnest Hwy, between Hope B.C. and Medicine Hat Alberta? I'm wondering about the availability of gas and lodging on that route.
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious too and also wonder what the route is like. If it is flat and boring I'll stay south of the border and buy my gas by the gallon instead of the liter.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

Would love some input on that route!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Nice road with a fair amount of curves. Really nice around Nelson with one of the best roads in BC across the ferry east of Nelson and down to Creston. Most of the truck traffic is north on the #1 Highway from Banff and then across to the coast on the Coquihalla Highway.
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hope this helps

I live very close to that route and have used it frequently between Hope and Osoyoos. Have used the rest a number of times too but usually have gone north towards Calgary once through the Crowsnest Pass. Once through the Pass you are into the foot hills (descending) on to the prairies.

There is no problem with getting gas on this route as there are a number of small cities right through. By bike/spyder I usually get gas in Hope and then there is no issue. There are many places to get accommodation also in these small cities and towns. It is an area with many tourist destinations right through to the Crowsnest area. Once in Alberta there should not be any issue either and Medicine Hat is a larger center.

This is actually the route I'm probably going to take to Valcourt this time too as opposed to the slightly more northern route on Highway 1 which can be crazy in the summer with traffic and far more trucks.

Highway 3 is also very scenic. Not flat at all until the prairies. I have taken highway 2 in the US Minnesota to the west of Montana and we had a hard time finding accommodations and gas in North Dakota and much of the eastern half of Montana when we traveled by bike through there in 05.

Hope that helps and if I can provide more information please feel free to ask.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Thank you Cognaccruiser for the info. You were very helpful. Sounds like the route to take to me. I don't know yet if I'll go that way going to Valcourt or on the return trip back to our WA home. Need to discuss with my wife first.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rode from BC to Ontario

I rode from BC to Ontario taking I90 and rode back taking HWY 2 last August. There was always fuel within 100 miles and that is a good stop point to stretch your legs and grab another bottle of water for your Camelback. ( Buy a camelback, other than an AirHawk it will be the best money you will spend).Try taking HWY 2 to start your trip and do "Road to the Sun" via Kalispell/Whitefish then pick up I90. Riding to the continental divide will be just breathtaking but once you get over that hump its pretty flat. I took I90 so I could go to Sturgis. Be careful in Indiana as the State Troopers are worse than in Oregon. ( Both will ticket you for any speed over the limit ) Remember just because HEALTHCARE is free to Canadians its not for Americans so BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!!
    Planning myself to go next year and that will be my route
    Ride it like you stole it

George

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IT APPEARS THE fever is spreading..... Even talked to the yard guy the other day when picking up the camping unit. He is now pondering the thought of going down as well. Anybody know what they are going to do if a crap load of Spyders show up on their doorstep ??

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reknhevn View Post
    I'm thinking about going across Canada to the Valcourt homecoming. Does anyone have any info on RT 3, the Crowsnest Hwy, between Hope B.C. and Medicine Hat Alberta? I'm wondering about the availability of gas and lodging on that route.
    To get a good idea what a particular road looks like bring it up in Google maps and do a few street view looks at it. For gas stations one method I've used is find a town on the route and do a Google maps search for gas stations near xxxx. Then scroll the map along the route and more stations will pop up. That'll give you a pretty good idea where the stations are. Gasbuddy.com will also list gas stations along a particular highway or town.

You can find hotels the same way on Google maps.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input, its very helpful. I'll give google maps a try.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    To get a good idea what a particular road looks like bring it up in Google maps and do a few street view looks at it. For gas stations one method I've used is find a town on the route and do a Google maps search for gas stations near xxxx. Then scroll the map along the route and more stations will pop up. That'll give you a pretty good idea where the stations are. Gasbuddy.com will also list gas stations along a particular highway or town.

You can find hotels the same way on Google maps.
    I do the same thing and it works great. I find a spot at the distance I can go on a tank and then I zoom in to find gas.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622