Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Love it but tired of problems: cooler, engine, and now clutch - do I have a lemon?

So, I bought an RS SM5 in July of 2014 and have had it back 3 times now for warranty work. I wonder, do I have a Friday afternoon special, or is this more typical of other owners? Does anyone out in the Spyder community have a history similar to this:

bought new, July 2014
    Sept 2014 in for repair - stuck thermostat valve would not allow flow to heat exchanger - persistent overheating.
    May 2015 in for repair - hose came off of engine cylinder for air sample or vacuum. No power from that cylinder.
    And today, clutch partially failing - behaving as if no brake fluid, but I checked the res and it has some in it. I had to fill it 6 weeks ago.

this is for a Spyder that is baby'd and garaged full time, with 5300 miles on it.

My concerns are many: I was blessed with a 3 year warranty, but what happens when these dumb problems continue and I'm shelling out for 5 hours of work twice a year? What happens when these issues come up and I'm 200 miles away from the dealership?

Have people experienced multiple problems like this on the same model? Is this RS cursed, or par for the course?

I love the RS, but am getting weary of the things that I don't believe I should have to deal with on a $13k+ machine.

Would the good people of the RS Forum chime in with your thoughts?

Thanks much!
    Bodgerist.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RS SE5, never a problem and traded it at 14k miles for a F3. Still miss the RS sometimes!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default love it but tire of problems

Just rolled over 20K this weekend putting around. Other than needing a new ignition switch and DESS module have been trouble free. Purchased new 2/20/2014 from Leaders Marine in Kalamazoo.

If you have had the same dealer do all the repairs on your bike might consider asking around for another trustworthy dealer that could go over your bike with a fine tooth comb and get it set up correc
    tly.

Might be worth the ride to Missouri to visit Cow town or Pit bulls.

Normally the RS's are mighty problem free and bullet proof trikes.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Do you have a lemon??!

Sure, check with your local/state/federal Lemon Laws, but seriously, just three problems over a 2year period & so far, all of them suitably sorted by your warranty.... I just can't see that qualifying as a lemon anywhere, but I have been known to be wrong occasionally.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default All good...

I have an RS sm5 2012 which was the last of its kind. In 2013 they made changes . I am at 35,000 miles and have not had any issues and the manufacturers warranty ran out some time ago. Have seen a thermostat go but rarely, not sure on the hose issue if it is the vaccum hoses to the throttle body most of us have changed to the silicone hoses because they tend to dry and crack but ont come off especially on one that new. As for the clutch, you should not have to refill it at all. I drain the resvouir and refill it once a year, there may be a leak somewhere...Sorry you are having these problems cause the RS /GS have been pretty solid in the spyder line up... you might try another dealer who will give it a real check up...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks much

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback. I may look into the BEST warranty next year when this runs out.

- Bodgerist

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgerist View Post
    Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback. I may look into the BEST warranty next year when this runs out.

- Bodgerist
    IIRC, you would need to sign up for BEST before your warranty runs out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The stuck thermostat is annoying, but that can happen to just about any vehicle on the road.
    A loose hose? An easy fix!
    The clutch fluid on the SM models does need to be replaced every once in a while. Since I've got an "ESSIE"; I'm not familiar with the details about it. Check your manual for the exact process, and the intervals between servicing.
    I believe that your experiences are a little bit out of the norm... but just about what folks around here see.
    I've had the cruise control replaced, my FM reception is virtually non-existent, and I managed to blow out a speaker... (Okay: that one is my fault...)
    Is my bike a Lemon? Nope! It's still the most fun that I can have on a Sunny Day!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I think the most important point here is you should be happy and comfortable so you can ride your spyder.
    Purchasing the extended warranty is probably a given. I've read it really saved several people ($50 deductible for a new engine).
    If you are unsure about the reliability, trade it on a newer one.

I think to be classified as a "lemon" it has to be repaired for the same thing over and over, not just random items.

People often have more trouble with mechanical items that sit so get out and ride.

Spyder Garage

Post Slipping Clutch might be an oil galley set screw

That's what caused mine to slip at 6000 miles..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default re: slipping clutch

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    Thanks - I actually had the opposite problem: functioned as if there was very low hydraulic fluid. Had to press the clutch all the way to the bar in order to even make a hard shift. This after I added fluid 6 weeks ago.
    I'll respond with the dealership's findings.
    -Bodgerist

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    Any chance you could tell us what caused yours to slip??? Nb: not everyone gets to see post titles, some only get the THREAD title from the top.... So if it's not in the text of your post, it doesn't show at all....

Spyder Garage

Post Slipping clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Any chance you could tell us what caused yours to slip??? Nb: not everyone gets to see post titles, some only get the THREAD title from the top.... So if it's not in the text of your post, it doesn't show at all....
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...lipping+clutch

That thread has the gist of it. Essentially, as it was explained to me, and oil galley set screw backed out and went into the sump, and it caused either the clutch to be over oiled, or some other aspect that I am not aware of, either way, it caused the clutch to slip sporadically, and very badly.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Problems

I have a GS with well over 15k never
    had any problems with it.
    you may want to find a more compitant
    dealer to go over your RS

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RS-S with over 15,00 miles. No problems here.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'd trade it in before the warranty expires. I've had zero problems on my 2015 RS and expect to have zero problems. I also think Spyders are very reliable. I bought he RS to get into a Spyder, so I was never intended to keep it after the 3 years was up. The newness wares off for me about the time the warranty does.