Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2008 Backfire and front plug fouling

About a year ago my dealer replaced the evap canister to deal with excessive backfire. Had Leo Vince pipeinstalled for several years with no problem. Backfire continued at a lesser level so I switched back to the stock muffler. Recently, bike began to run so rough that it was not rideable, burned paint off muffler and front cylinder plug fouled. Replaced evap again. Went back to LeoVince muffler. What should I do? I know in the "old days" you could install an O2 mod but that is gone , I guess. Looks like an expensive fuel mapper is a solution. (PCV etc) Other suggestions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

I would start withthe vaccum lines to the throttle body replacing them with silicone hoses. I would them get the plugs and plug wires from BajaRon and replace them. Next check all exhaust gaskets and replace if needed and a new fuel filter if you have never changed it. A coil check would be wise to eliminate that possibility. You so not mention any flashing light or codes so harder to pinpoint.... how old is your air filter...??
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Also check out your plug wires, really check for cracks where they come off the coils along the frame they have a tendency to dry n crack being so close to the exhaust pipe. Can cause non firing in plug on n off as a crack opens. If you need new ones try the ones from bajaron. Definitely worth the price.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I would start withthe vaccum lines to the throttle body replacing them with silicone hoses. I would them get the plugs and plug wires from BajaRon and replace them. Next check all exhaust gaskets and replace if needed and a new fuel filter if you have never changed it. A coil check would be wise to eliminate that possibility. You so not mention any flashing light or codes so harder to pinpoint.... how old is your air filter...??
    Are those the vacuum lines to the MAPS? Are there others that should be replaced?

I ask because I plan on replacing the MAPS vacuum hoses, silicone hose is in hand. I looked through the manual and didn't notice any others; it's a big manual with no cross reference.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

those are the culprits...only two and cut them to the same length...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Plug wires, vacuum hoses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There were no codes thrown by the on-board computer. I'check the wires and hoses. Where are the gaskets in question located? How many are there? Wouls a problem with the coil throw a code?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Manifold gaskets at the cylinder heads, the "Y" gaskets and the muffler gasket. 5 in total. I don't think there is a code for coil failure other that banks running rich/lean. The o2 sensor can also fail..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rokonman View Post
    What should I do? I know in the "old days" you could install an O2 mod but that is gone , I guess. Looks like an expensive fuel mapper is a solution. (PCV etc) Other suggestions?
    The O2 sensor approach was cheap and did usually cure the backfiring. But it also (usually) ran rich. It tended to contaminate the oil (Fuel Dilution).
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-03-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default 2008 backfire an front plug fouling

Gene, have you had to replace your exhaust gaskets with the mileage you have yet???
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ehaust Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Gene, have you had to replace your exhaust gaskets with the mileage you have yet???
    I have not replaced the exhaust gaskets. THE LOE vince has no gaskets even at the connection to the manifold.