Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default keep a cool head

Northern Wisconsin summers do get hot - if only for a short time. I wear Olympia AirGuide without liners over a t-shirt and it keeps me at the right temp at speed. I wear a full wicking helmet liner under my modular helmet. I will soak in in cool water and wring it out before putting it on. It keeps me comfortable and I am a professional sweater.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First Gear Mesh jacket the only way to fly...
    I also use First Gear Mesh pants

Spyder Garage

I live in south central Alabama, where high humidity is a big factor. I wear a Draggin' Jeans kevlar mesh shirt over a cotton t-shirt, and Diamond Gusset Defender jeans with kevlar cloth in key places.

After years of riding fully faired bikes (now on an RT-S), I haven't found a jacket that is comfortable in the summer, due to the fairings working too well at keeping the air flow off me. Maybe on naked (unfaired) bikes they work OK, where there's plenty of airflow around the rider, but not that I've found on a BMT RT or my current RT-S.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear a Field Sheer mesh jacket with armor in for elbows, shoulders and back. Not the coolest ride, and I also lower my windshield to get extra airflow ('13 ST-S SE5).
    I also wear jeans and 8" high boots. No shorts or flip flops!!!!!!!! Dress for the wreck, not the ride... Someone famous said that, don't remember who, but I remember the statement.
    Y'all ride safe out there!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    But it is a rare person who will listen to this wisdom. And a lot of people suffer needlessly for it. The reason is, As you put all of this on and are standing still in the blazing sun it IS hotter with the right gear on and people give up right there. Plus physiologically, you THINK you'll be cooler wearing as little as possible. But it just isn't the case.
    Ron, if you think that it's tough to convince people to wear a mesh jacket instead of just a t-shirt, imagine how tough it is to convince people that a NON-perforated jacket is cooler than a mesh jacket above ~95 degrees.

Mesh is great before then, and after then for short periods. The problem is, once it gets too hot, even mesh loses its cooling ability-- the sweat just evaporates off of you too fast to cool you off. You "feel" cool, until you don't... helllllooo, heat stroke.

It's brutal being on a bike all buttoned up in a leather or textile jacket in 100 degree weather, but if you don't have access to a cooling vest, it's paradoxically the safest way to keep you from heat stroke.

That said-- cooling vests are cheap (ditto chill towels for the neck), pack a couple for use under your mesh and you will be comfy as a clam.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mesh jacket with evaporative vest and a cooling towel (http://www.lowes.com/pd_563708-49433...=1&Ntt=cooling). The towel is a tube that you can wear around your neck or pull just over your head like a cap letting the excess hang down over your neck. Rewet the towel and cooling vest every gas stop, or in really high heat carry some water and wet down as necessary.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Some one finally got ot

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Ron, if you think that it's tough to convince people to wear a mesh jacket instead of just a t-shirt, imagine how tough it is to convince people that a NON-perforated jacket is cooler than a mesh jacket above ~95 degrees.

Mesh is great before then, and after then for short periods. The problem is, once it gets too hot, even mesh loses its cooling ability-- the sweat just evaporates off of you too fast to cool you off. You "feel" cool, until you don't... helllllooo, heat stroke.

It's brutal being on a bike all buttoned up in a leather or textile jacket in 100 degree weather, but if you don't have access to a cooling vest, it's paradoxically the safest way to keep you from heat stroke.

That said-- cooling vests are cheap (ditto chill towels for the neck), pack a couple for use under your mesh and you will be comfy as a clam.
    I am a bit surprised that the original poster, whom I assume is an MD doesn't understand the science behind this. The environment attempts to achieve "equilibrium as it relates to heat. Heat moves from the warmer place to the cooler place, and your body is 98.6 degrees. So that means that as long as you are riding at below that temperature the ambient temperature is lower than your body heat. At this point a mesh jacket works very well. But any time you are Ryding in temperatures that are higher than that, you want to be covered and sealed, as your body starts to soak up the heat from the higher outside temps. That means that when it is 106 outside, your body will continue to soak up that heat until your body reaches 106, and that my friends is inconsistent with life as we know it. Same with a helmet. If it is 100 out side you want to be closed up inside that thing as at 98.6 it is cooler inside that helmet and you want to keep the heat out. 106 for too long and the brain stops functioning. So below 98.6 I wear mesh, above that textile with a few vents and a cooling vest, which lasts much longer without the Mesh at those temperature. This is why those of you that mentioned that you keep covered in the heat, are much less exhausted than your friends in flip flops.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I am a bit surprised that the original poster, whom I assume is an MD doesn't understand the science behind this.
    Maybe he's not the Doctor that you think he is...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hair

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Hair

Pam
    That's not nice Pam, some of us can't say that very well.
    Ken

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The last time I was dropping south from Yellowstone in July (August?) I was crossing the wastlands that are central Wyoming. It was probably 100 degrees air temp plus sun and reflection from the asphalt.

Those days I was riding with my denim jacket and I took it off because I thought it was too hot for it. I did about 10 miles and just put it back on. The hot air at 75 mph was flaying the skin from my arms. At least the jacket was shade and protection from the hot wind.

My vote? Lightweight, long sleeves in extreme heat and sun.

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    That's not nice Pam, some of us can't say that very well.
    Ken
    Well at least you don't have to deal with helmet hair [emoji2]

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Well at least you don't have to deal with helmet hair
    But we also don't get to wear the Tee-Shirt...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joan Bryden posted this great article about riding in the heat on Facebook this morning and I thought I would share it here. http://www.kratzmc.com/2012/07/18/riding-in-the-heat/
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann,
    Thanks for posting the article; it's VERY well-written, and does a nice job of explaining how things work!

And "Thanks" to Joan also!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I am a bit surprised that the original poster, whom I assume is an MD doesn't understand the science behind this. The environment attempts to achieve "equilibrium as it relates to heat. Heat moves from the warmer place to the cooler place, and your body is 98.6 degrees. So that means that as long as you are riding at below that temperature the ambient temperature is lower than your body heat. At this point a mesh jacket works very well. But any time you are Ryding in temperatures that are higher than that, you want to be covered and sealed, as your body starts to soak up the heat from the higher outside temps. That means that when it is 106 outside, your body will continue to soak up that heat until your body reaches 106, and that my friends is inconsistent with life as we know it. Same with a helmet. If it is 100 out side you want to be closed up inside that thing as at 98.6 it is cooler inside that helmet and you want to keep the heat out. 106 for too long and the brain stops functioning. So below 98.6 I wear mesh, above that textile with a few vents and a cooling vest, which lasts much longer without the Mesh at those temperature. This is why those of you that mentioned that you keep covered in the heat, are much less exhausted than your friends in flip flops.
    One factor you didn't mention is the effects of a jacket or no jacket when not moving. This is why I asked...

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BajaRon addressed this issue:

"A full face helmet and a mesh jacket on over a cotton, long sleeve T-Shirt are much cooler as long as you are moving. If you are in stop and go traffic this combination is hotter, but not by that much."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2andia View Post
    I wear a jacket in hot weather also the air passing through it feels amazing when I get up a good speed. Also just bought a one piece Speed and Strentgh mesh jersey with armor in it... I'll see how that feels soon...

I agree. I like the Mesh Tech jackets. Take the liner out and you get nice air flow and you still have the armor for some protection.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djhobin View Post
    I wear a mesh jacket in hot weather and I always wear a Heat out skull cap. It is not only cooler but it makes my ears feel more comfortable under the helmet. In the heat I also like to ride with the face shield down. My cousin and I were riding in 117 degree heat, he was wearing a vest and short sleeve shirt 3/4 helmet with no face shield, I was wearing mesh jacket, mesh pants and modular helmet with face shield down. At the end of the day he was wiped-out. I was tired but not like he was.
    I agree with you. and I roll with the exact same gear with face shield down. For a while I thought I was and oddball and purchased a leather vest to boot. But the mesh is a lot better for me here in the Georgia heat and Humidity.

Spyder Garage

Default Ice Anyone

When we were about to cross the Mojave Desert on a group ride, our experienced tour leader warned all “east coasters” about the dangers of riding just in T-shirts out west. While we were wetting down our shirts and neck bandannas, he came out of the “last-chance” store dressed in a one-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit!

Well, of course, we all thought the heat must have made him crazy until we found out that he had every pocket, and something inside the outfit, filled with ice! I’m a Florida guy, but mesh is about as far as I will go.