Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hidden Bass Setting?

Does anyone know what the "secret" setting does in preferences when you select audio and then press up? It still shows as being the bass setting, but the option list changes. Can't find anything in the owners manual about it and my searchs on the forum didn't yield results. Are there really two sets of options for bass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh great...
    Now, EVERYBODY knows about it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Oh great...
    Now, EVERYBODY knows about it!
    [emoji3] I'm bad that way. Sadly, I have no idea what the setting really does. Lots of options on the list though. [emoji15]

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BASS SETTING

If you have the OEM speakers the sound will get worse IMHO......In the world of speakers anything less than 8 inches really doesn't have the ability to produce BASS....That being said, at least higher quality speakers can handle it better ....not great just better..................Of course there are some here who TESTIFY to the theory that a $ 5,000 Amp can make a $ 5.00 speaker sound Great...........................Not me...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have seen that too.... doesn't seem to do anything. It's a glitch in the menu system.
    My assumption is it is some internal test or setting maybe for the factory.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you have the OEM speakers the sound will get worse IMHO......In the world of speakers anything less than 8 inches really doesn't have the ability to produce BASS....That being said, at least higher quality speakers can handle it better ....not great just better..................Of course there are some here who TESTIFY to the theory that a $ 5,000 Amp can make a $ 5.00 speaker sound Great...........................Not me...Mike
    I'm really talking about the fact that there are two sets of options for audio bass. One noticeably changes the sound, but the "secret" bass menu seems to do nothing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I have seen that too.... doesn't seem to do anything. It's a glitch in the menu system.
    My assumption is it is some internal test or setting maybe for the factory.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. That's sort of what I suspected, but a hidden option like that always makes me wonder if it might really have some function that I just haven't figured out. [emoji15]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ArachnidRyder View Post
    Thanks Bob. That's sort of what I suspected, but a hidden option like that always makes me wonder if it might really have some function that I just haven't figured out. [emoji15]

That setting is simple. It notifies your Wife where you are at if you push it once. If you push it twice it notifies her that you will be home for dinner shortly.

Owners manual Page 124 par. 3.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Music? The only music I have comes out the exhaust pipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I agree, the stock speakers suck, turn up the bass, down goes the clarity, then you have a loud noise you can't understand.

You are also correct when you say that wattage is not all that is needed. I have heard speakers that were clear and could produce over 100db on less than 15 watts of power. Here is an audiophiles comments RE wattage and speakers.

"wattage means jack when it comes to speakersand amps".
    "wattage for speakersit comes down to senstivity@1w@1m. a good sensitive speakerwill hit 92db@1w@1m. rest of the wattage gets dissipated as heat in both the ampand speaker".

It is sort of like having a car with 1,000HP, full power never gets used, but man is it fun to brag about how many HP you have. Same thing with music, high wattage never gets used to it fullest extent, but man is it fun to brag about how many watts you have. Better sound can be achieved with a great quality speaker and lower watts with more volume you ever need with less power drain.

I know this is just my humble opinion, but after being a sound man at several churches for over 35 years, installing and running several sound systems, I had to put it out there.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

IMHO, nothing sounds worse than your music blaring away from your motorcycle! Even if it were my music blaring away from my motorcycle, nothing sounds worse! Cut the speaker wires and put the music where it belongs.........in your Helmet!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Nothing like pulling up to a stop light when you are riding with a group of people and all of them have a different music playing, they don't have auto volume control so it is at the volume needed at 80 mph, and you have a jumbled loud noise.
    Then because of the noise, my auto adjust volume on my headset turns up and blows my ears out.

But to each his own!

I Love the Sena 20s and the sound is some of the best I have heard in a headset.
    However, when on a long trip I sometimes get tired of the music in my ears and turn on the speakers, that is normally on a wide open back road in the boondocks. Then before I hit a town or traffic it goes back to my headset. The sound over the speakers normally doesn't last very long before it is switched back to the headset because of sound quality only.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Nothing like pulling up to a stop light when you are riding with a group of people and all of them have a different music playing, they don't have auto volume control so it is at the volume needed at 80 mph, and you have a jumbled loud noise.
    Then because of the noise, my auto adjust volume on my headset turns up and blows my ears out.
    Actually, the Spyder Entertainment system does have a fairly decent auto-adjust control. I immediately missed that when I hooked up Sena BT dongle, and started using my SMH-10 headset instead of the speakers.

BUT... if I just understood you correctly you said that the 20S has a volume auto-adjust built in?? Hmmm. How well does that work? I may have to consider upgrading. I don't need a lot of the new functions that the 20S has, but I WOULD like that AND more clarity/fidelity for the music from my iPod while riding. I wonder how the music fidelity compares with these two Sena headsets.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Actually, the Spyder Entertainment system does have a fairly decent auto-adjust control. I immediately missed that when I hooked up Sena BT dongle, and started using my SMH-10 headset instead of the speakers.

BUT... if I just understood you correctly you said that the 20S has a volume auto-adjust built in?? Hmmm. How well does that work? I may have to consider upgrading. I don't need a lot of the new functions that the 20S has, but I WOULD like that AND more clarity/fidelity for the music from my iPod while riding. I wonder how the music fidelity compares with these two Sena headsets.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. Yes the Spyder has a great auto volume adjust, but with the headsets I find that I could almost do without the radio. I can't say 100% that it has an auto volume adjust without being connected to the headset, but I swear it does. I downloaded the app for my droid and that was a setting in the app i believe. The app also gives you the opportunity to load in preset FM stations, and then you can scan through them, use voice to go to a station, or listen to a ballgame while your spouse listens to music. You can also share your music with here, or listen to two different sources of music.
    I paired my wife's phone with her headset and my phone with mine, we share my music from my phone, and yet she can get calls on her phone that I wont hear and my music is not interrupted. If I get a call on my phone and the music is shared, her music is interrupted for the duration of the phone call, but she can't hear my phone call.
    I have beat earbuds and I think that the 20s sounds better then those. I also like the option of being able to plug in earbuds to the 20s and use them instead of the supplied speakers if I choose.
    I have owned a few different headsets, wired and Bluetooth and I feel these are by far the best I have found. JMHO.

Spyder Garage

Seems there is a lot of hidden bass available.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know what the "secret" setting does in preferences when you select audio and then press up? It still shows as being the bass setting, but the option list changes. Can't find anything in the owners manual about it and my searchs on the forum didn't yield results. Are there really two sets of options for bass?

That's interesting mine does not do that. When I press the up button with Bass highlighted. It goes to the bottom of the list, Region Settings, like I would expect.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I agree, the stock speakers suck, turn up the bass, down goes the clarity, then you have a loud noise you can't understand.

You are also correct when you say that wattage is not all that is needed. I have heard speakers that were clear and could produce over 100db on less than 15 watts of power. Here is an audiophiles comments RE wattage and speakers.

"wattage means jack when it comes to speakersand amps".
    "wattage for speakersit comes down to senstivity@1w@1m. a good sensitive speakerwill hit 92db@1w@1m. rest of the wattage gets dissipated as heat in both the ampand speaker".

It is sort of like having a car with 1,000HP, full power never gets used, but man is it fun to brag about how many HP you have. Same thing with music, high wattage never gets used to it fullest extent, but man is it fun to brag about how many watts you have. Better sound can be achieved with a great quality speaker and lower watts with more volume you ever need with less power drain.

I know this is just my humble opinion, but after being a sound man at several churches for over 35 years, installing and running several sound systems, I had to put it out there.
    That extra power does more than just provide bragging rights. In sound systems it provides headroom, or a power reserve. Assuming adequate speakers, that extra power helps prevent distortion from clipping.
    Consider a small displacement motorcycle, it may be able to do 70 mph, but will not accelerate well at that speed. This can be a problem if that oomph is needed.
    Extra stereo power stops the amp from clipping and distorting during powerful musical passages, especially heavy bass passages.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For anyone that didn't understand my earlier posts, here are two pictures. The first is the "normal" bass setting, the second is the "secret" setting.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For anyone that didn't understand my earlier posts, here are two pictures. The first is the "normal" bass setting, the second is the "secret" setting.

Yes that is what I get too.

What I think it is, is if you don't have CB for some reason this menu pops up. I believe it is a squelch settings that shows up which is a bug in the radio/software.

I think if you have a CB you will see this menu in the CB settings.

This is my best guess

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Yes that is what I get too.

What I think it is, is if you don't have CB for some reason this menu pops up. I believe it is a squelch settings that shows up which is a bug in the radio/software.

I think if you have a CB you will see this menu in the CB settings.

This is my best guess

Bob
    That actually makes a lot of sense. I suspect you are correct, sir. Thank you. It has been bugging me not knowing. [emoji3]

Spyder Garage

I don't have the cb and mine does not act the same as you are showing. I wonder what the difference is.

Maybe a model year issue. Mine is a 2013. Finless is a 2011. ArachinidRyder ????
    Last edited by billybovine; 04-02-2016 at 12:30 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED