Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spyder recall

Spyder Garage

The proposed remedy, of which the validation is about to be completed, consists of a software
    download that will not involve the replacement of parts, and should take less than 20 minutes to
    complete. In other words, once launched, the campaign should be relatively easy to execute
    and involve minimal inconvenience to the customer.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams
    ------------------------------

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How come?

Re: this steering recall, the only fix is a <1 minute software reprogramming and others have brought in their bikes and had different hardware replaced for the same problem. What am I missing?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Re: this steering recall, the only fix is a <1 minute software reprogramming and others have brought in their bikes and had different hardware replaced for the same problem. What am I missing?
    Nothing...can you spell "Band-Aid?" Seriously, it appears that the cause of some of these "excursions" could be due to the way the power steering normally responds, so they are trying to program around that to eliminate overcompensation by the rider. That approach may actually be desirable, in and of itself. Unfortunately, I believe that type of "fix" might mask real issues, such as bad signals on the CANBUS causing erratic DPS behavior, or any intermittent loss of the power steering due to component malfunction. Only time will tell on this one.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I am betwix and between...I have not experienced any steering issues. So, should I get it reprogrammed, or ride with no worry. I think like Scotty, this sounds like a "band aid" fix. Programming "around" something doesn't sound very logical, but then I am not into mechanics or electronics. I am sure the inability to recreate the issues at will makes it even more difficult for BRP to pin-point the cause with certainty. Hopefully all of this gets resolved without anyone else getting injured or worse.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What ever the fix, I hope it's better than the fix for the brake squeel. Had that done and is worse then ever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP demo group was here today. I was talking to one of them and mentioned the recall. They were aware of it and said one of the steering problem happened to one of their people on a demo ride in the past. Seemed to take the credit of notifiying BRP about it and all this is a result of that happening. I sort of chuckled. As long as they are doing something about it. We'll see

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I am betwix and between...I have not experienced any steering issues. So, should I get it reprogrammed, or ride with no worry. I think like Scotty, this sounds like a "band aid" fix. Programming "around" something doesn't sound very logical, but then I am not into mechanics or electronics. I am sure the inability to recreate the issues at will makes it even more difficult for BRP to pin-point the cause with certainty. Hopefully all of this gets resolved without anyone else getting injured or worse.
    I'm in the same boat as you, don't know whether I should be in a hurry to get the "fix" as I've not had any bad steering issues. I will continue to ride without giving it much thought. In my opinion, reprogramming could be the correct fix. If a certain computer program is crashing on your computer, you could fix the problem by buying a new computer or by fixing the code to stop the program from crashing. Either one could be a valid and correct fix. We won't know which is the case on the Spyder steering issue unless more info comes out. Bad programming could explain why some people have had multiple parts replaced without fixing their problem.
    Last edited by bjt; 06-07-2009 at 07:21 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm with you BJT, I havn't had any steering isues either. I will be waiting in the sidelines to see what happens with the fix. So many times I have seen that cure can be worse than the problem. As far as I can see there has only been a few bikes effected by this steering problem. Thanks to sites like this one at least we all know about the problem and have it in the back of our mind, so if and when it does happen at least we know what to expect .

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    ... by fixing the code to stop the program from crashing. Either one could be a valid and correct fix...
    The beauty of C/C++

Spyder Garage

As one that has had the steering problem, I'll get the fix ASAP. It's always in the back of my mind that the I could veer into the other lane. While the GPS sensor replacement seems to have helped, every now and then I feel a slight bumb of resistance.

Scary to think that software has this much control. Good thing it wasn't written by MicroSoft eh?

Spyder Garage

Probably much like the programming done in the factory I work at, there is a lot more code written to cause the equipment to stop than code to start / run the stuff. IMO, computerized doesn't necessarily make things better or more reliable. Just easier to add more bells and whistles (and create more ways to stop it from working ).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm in the same boat as you, don't know whether I should be in a hurry to get the "fix" as I've not had any bad steering issues. I will continue to ride without giving it much thought. In my opinion, reprogramming could be the correct fix. If a certain computer program is crashing on your computer, you could fix the problem by buying a new computer or by fixing the code to stop the program from crashing. Either one could be a valid and correct fix. We won't know which is the case on the Spyder steering issue unless more info comes out. Bad programming could explain why some people have had multiple parts replaced without fixing their problem.
    I'm a computer programmer and my only thing here is there are two ways to program, one is the right way and one is the lazy way. Example if you have bad data coming in you can do the lazy way and code around the bad data and everytime a different bad value comes in keep adding code, or you can find out why the bad data is coming in a stop it there. It seems to be they are just coding around the problem instead of fixing it, as someone else mention this type of work around sometimes causes more problems, but I'm sure they know what they are doing.......I guess

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    I'm a computer programmer and my only thing here is there are two ways to program, one is the right way and one is the lazy way. Example if you have bad data coming in you can do the lazy way and code around the bad data and everytime a different bad value comes in keep adding code, or you can find out why the bad data is coming in a stop it there. It seems to be they are just coding around the problem instead of fixing it, as someone else mention this type of work around sometimes causes more problems, but I'm sure they know what they are doing.......I guess
    Unfortunatelly the lazy way is usually is easier and cheaper .... nuff said.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Isn't it possible that they initially programmed the thing with too tight of constraints on the data coming in or were including data that isn't necessary to the steering, decided that they could loosen constraints or discount some of the data they initially looked at and incorporate their new knowledge into an upgraded program? Who knows? They may have utilized bad or lazy programmers. If its the same guys who do the BRP website, I'd vote for the later statement. Many, many programmers miss the mark on the first attempt as evidenced by programs having version 1.0, 1.01, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 2.5, 3.4, etc.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

I would go with Version 0.0: totally open and no restrictions!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Isn't it possible that they initially programmed the thing with too tight of constraints on the data coming in or were including data that isn't necessary to the steering, decided that they could loosen constraints or discount some of the data they initially looked at and incorporate their new knowledge into an upgraded program? Who knows? They may have utilized bad or lazy programmers. If its the same guys who do the BRP website, I'd vote for the later statement. Many, many programmers miss the mark on the first attempt as evidenced by programs having version 1.0, 1.01, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, 2.5, 3.4, etc.
    Good point, I just don't know enough of the problem to say, that is why I ended it by saying I guess they know what they are doing. I just hope they are not taking the cheap and easy way out, but not sure they would as after this recall fix any accident caused by this issue would lead them wide open to a lawsuit..right?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

......If its the same guys who do the BRP website, I'd vote for the latter statement.
    Now I'm afraid...very afraid!
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I read about a 60yr. old woman awhile back that was killed on a Spyder. I think it was in Canada while out riding with a group of riders. They were reported of not going very fast when she went off a curve and hit a tree or something. They didn't know why it happened; maybe this is why.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post
    I read about a 60yr. old woman awhile back that was killed on a Spyder. I think it was in Canada while out riding with a group of riders. They were reported of not going very fast when she went off a curve and hit a tree or something. They didn't know why it happened; maybe this is why.
    The woman was from Texas (RIP) and I don't believe there has been any more information on why the crash happened.

Could have been various reasons- including operator error - but if I were her family I would want that DPS unit checked out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The woman was from Texas (RIP) and I don't believe there has been any more information on why the crash happened.

Could have been various reasons- including operator error - but if I were her family I would want that DPS unit checked out.

They might never know about it, if they are not aware of it. They might have to have access to one of these Spyder sites to find out.

RT-S PE#0085
    Spyder Garage

I just had my Spyder in for replacing the parking brake parts. Took off from the dealer and my Check DPS came across the guage. Drove right back and the dealer said their is a software issue and he can fix it tomorrow. I will let you know what happens. I got my spyder 1 year ago almost to the day.

Spyder Garage

Default RECALL

I have 2009 SE5 and I called BRP and talked to a lady and as of right now there is no recall on mine and she said if one comes up I will be told of it before the dealer and she got my name and address and phone # so I guess I will wait and see and keep on riding !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake squeal and recall

I live in Tulsa OK, but I'm from Quebec and I got "contacts" having worked for Bombardier. The brake squeal is easily fixed by replacing the pads with the new sets that have been improved, I got no noise and it was covered. The Steering recall is coming and it is advised that you be careful at low speed since steering could be hard if the DPS misbehaves, same at high speed but nobody fools around at high speed anyway, right?. I put 4500 miles in 3 months and I got nothing except the "brake failure" light that keeps coming on but it seems to be a computer glitch and it will be replaced.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

USRanger welcome glad to have you with us

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

to all spyder ryders all bikes are on recall list go to your nearest dealer and have your plugged in to fix stering takes 23 minnets . all 07, 08, 09, don't put it off have it dune be safe even if you don't have any signs of truble know please do it we love you all and want you to be safe your friend Don VT228