Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default First ride

I also applaud your candor regarding your first Spyder driving experience. Many people approach the unknown with a false sense of bravado and end up paying the price. You do not want your first Spyder experience to be a negative experience. Put some distance between you and the people that encourage you to "Just hop on and drive it like you stole it."
    I do agree with the responders that encourage you to ride it around a parking lot to feel it out. You will be fine. May there be many miles of happy Spyderness in your future.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One more thing

Consensus should NOT make the difference in this matter. Your comfort level should be the ONLY deciding factor.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Do you know another Spyder owner who could ride it back home for you?
    or an experienced bike rider of any kind who would give encouragement, companionship, & experience to either ride it while you follow in a vehicle, or will follow you in a vehicle to be there to help as needed.

get a feel for the brakes...I've ridden bikes for 40 years and had trouble with finding and using the foot brake for some number of miles at first. So be sure you can stop and "stop NOW."

skipped was telling me how to put the machine in reverse or how to adjust the mirrors which was a bit stressful to figure out.

I think bringing a friend as a team effort would be wise.

bottom line, GO WITH YOUR GUT !!!

Spyder Garage

I was similar. I had never driven a motorcycle or atv. Took the training class on two wheels. For the months leading up to getting my Spyder, I read EVERYTHING on this site, watched the training video a few times, etc. I rode around the lot at the dealer for about 20 minutes. Drove home with my wife right behind me in the car. It went fine. Scary but a blast. Take it easy, leave LOTS of space ahead of you and take curves slow. Congrats on the new ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You never drove a spyder?? How do you know you will like it??

Anyway you tube has a video on driving a spyder from BRP.
    Has information for new drivers.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I second what Bob Denman said. If you are experienced with an ATV ride around a parking lot for awhile then head for home on quieter streets. If you have no ATV or snowmobile experience then the fact you are asking indicates your hesitancy. In that case have it delivered and practice at home when you have no external pressures impacting your thinking and reactions. The best part of it all, you don't have to worry about it tipping over!

Kudos for being wise enough to ask.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You've gotten alot of good advice. I agree with following your gut. Be careful, but not scared. In my 50's, never rode, took 2 wheel class 3 years ago. Rode Spyder for around 20 min last April during CanAm demo days. Bought my bike in Miami, picked it up, hopped on and rode it 65 miles home mostly highway with semi's buzzing by. Had son following. Like everyone said, ride it in the parking lot for a bit to make sure you know the controls, then you should be fine. But if you are that worried then have it delivered. It's kinda like your first date with that cute girl. You will have butterflies the whole time thinking about the date until you are actually with her and talking then butterflies subside. You will be nervous until your first ride but once you hop on and ride it most of the butterflies will disappear and be replaced by smiles. I've had mine around 2 weeks now and each time I ride it I get more and more comfortable, its a process. In fact tonight was my first ride in city traffic with wife on the back. Enjoy the ride!

Spyder Garage

Default Trip home with the new arrival

My Spyder has semiautomatic transmission. i found myself grabbing for clutch, and handbrake, but got over that with a little practice in the dealer's lot. Careful over the driveway entrances, and stay a ways back from trucks, they throw stuff, especially if they drift off to the shoulder.
    You'll do fine.

Spyder Garage

One thing i learned early in my Spyder life ............................. Take driveways at an angle.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Like others trust your gut. Lots of unlearning and relearning to do from 2 wheels. Grabbing for a nonexistant front brake lever can get scary. Learning the light touch on the handlebars takes practice. The most helpful thing for me was in curves learning to tuck the inside knee in and use pressure on the outside peg it eliminates the "i'm gonna slide off the seat feeling". Takes conscious effort at first but becomes natural with practice. Whatever you decide lots of fun ahead for you.

Russ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never rode any kind of bike before I bought the Beast. 10 minutes in the dealers parking lot, and off I go. 165 miles on I40 through 3 good size towns. It was a learning experience but it was a blast. You just have to watch traffic differently than you are used to. I know a lot of people on this site and others say go the back roads but I think the Interstates are perfect for learning the ins and outs of the Spyder. No driveways and cross streets for idiots to pull out in front of you. No dogs chasing you. Yes, you have cars and semis around you, but so do back roads. If you stay out of the blind spots and pay attention, you should be okay. Interstates generally have gradual turns, and reasonably smooth roads. My wife and I would much rather ride on Interstates and 4 lane roads. Take the 4 lane and have some fast fun.

Spyder Garage

With an opening statement of you are beside yourself, there is no doubt this has you concerned. Have them deliver it. Learn the machine at home until you understand it, then if needed practice the start stop and all the rest near home.

Yes, if you follow this plan, you will kick yourself later knowing it is not that difficult once you know the machine a little bit.

Typically I would be all about the adventure, but when someone is beside themselves about it, they are not ready. It will be a stressful ride.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

STAY OFF THE HYWYS till you've got some miles

Spyder Garage

Default Have it delivered

CruzrJoe and BlueKnight have the BEST advice. This is not something to get experience the hard way. Also, forget about the riding, what about all the salt that is on the roads now in the northeast? Once it is safely at home, you can gain comfort and experience in your neighborhood and local roads (probably still covered with salt too).

I had a similar situation with my purchase. However, the dealership took me on two 30 minute rides before they let me take the bike. They knew I had never ridden before and just received my motorcycle license after a 3 day safety course. This helped me immensely to understand all of the controls and handling. My ride home was 30 miles on the NY thruway in crazy winds and another 15 miles of back roads. Getting passed by semi trucks for the first time was a real treat.

We have enjoyed our RT Ltd SE5 so much this past year. Please be safe and enjoy your new purchase.

Edit: I forgot to add... not all respondents to this post understand New Jersey driving. Riding a new Spyder in NJ traffic in the WINTER is not something to take lightly. Look around, you won't see many "bikers" out there. Cagers are not looking for motorcycles or Spyders this time of year. The dealership should insist on delivering if they have your best interest in mind.

-Rick
    Last edited by Upstater; 01-16-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on your purchase. I think you should drive it home. It handles really well and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I first piloted my Spyder home, it took some adjusting. I felt like I was going to fall off in the turns. I drove it around the parking lot a few times to get the hang of it. Form me, the key was to squeeze my knees to the tank in the turn. After a day, you're going to LOVE your new Spyder and be well on your way to fun.

Congrats!
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You described my situation exactly. I did a few around the parking lots. A mile of side road. Then 70mph for 70 miles home. Four things: 1.) learn acceleration characteristics. 2.) braking. 3.) blinkers. 4.) hi/lo beams. Then don't play with luxury gadgets until you get home. Or set them before you start and focus on learning performance this first ride. Congrats and enjoy!

2015 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If the dealer will deliver it at a small or zero charge, I would do it. That's how I got mine from the dealer (70 miles away) and I'm glad I did. Coming from several years on 2-wheels, the body/brain will try to "balance" the Spyder for the first few miles. This can be a very disconcerting feeling, because there is nothing to balance. You end up over-gripping and over-steering for a little while. It really doesn't take too long to get acclimated, but each person is different and if the delivery is free; I'd take advantage of it. I'm sure you could no doubt get it home on back roads, but if there is any highway miles involved where you should maintain 65 or 75 mph.... I wouldn't consider it. Just my opinion... YMMV.

Spyder Garage

You might want to check with DMV. Here in CT, you are not allowed to ride on Interstate highways, Parkways, or carry a passenger for 90 days after the issuance of a MC endorsement on your license. (I did it anyway). I did take a long test ride before buying, so I felt comfortable on it.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is my story from June 2013 when I bought my Spyder used and rode it home.

Might give you some insight. The first post in this thread link was my experience with my first test drive before going to pick up my Spyder.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post643924

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LEARNING TO DRIVE A SPYDER

.......I have read all the posts on the is thread and the vast majority is in FAVOR of the OP driving His Spyder home from the Dealership.......................WELL people since He said this will be His first RIDE would YOU be giving the same advice if it was going to be......" ON YOUR SPYDER " ......I doubt it, so I guess it's OK because it's His Spyder... ..NOT YOURS ....................And If the OP writes another post stating His trip didn't go well (accident , traffic ticket etc.)......What is your answer to Him going to be .........................Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .......I have read all the posts on the is thread and the vast majority is in FAVOR of the OP driving His Spyder home from the Dealership.......................WELL people since He said this will be His first RIDE would YOU be giving the same advice if it was going to be......" ON YOUR SPYDER " ......I doubt it, so I guess it's OK because it's His Spyder... ..NOT YOURS ....................And If the OP writes another post stating His trip didn't go well (accident , traffic ticket etc.)......What is your answer to Him going to be .........................Mike
    Read the link I just posted if you want. It's similar to his.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Have it delivered

Considering the many factors of this situation------ Have it delivered. Learn at your own pace on roads that are safer ( weather, distracted drivers, ect.).

AND READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!!! TWICE---------------

Don't let your first ryde cause::::::::;

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I would recommend having the delivered for the short 15 mile duration of the trip. Many things can go wrong in the first hundred miles or so--mostly due to unfamiliarity with the machine.

Follow your gut when in doubt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red