Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    It is adhesive based for some little clip doo-dads that stick onto your faceshield and the visor is removable (for 2 of the 3 positions available) but once you put it on I doubt that you will ever want to take it off, I never have. Check it out at http://www.super-visor.com/
    I could use something like that. I feel like the drop-down visor in my helmet distorts my vision some. Even with sunglasses, when the sun is high it shines right into my face and I find myself putting a hand up like an Indian searching the horizon.

Thanks for the link.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob

Don't know if it would work for you or not. I have a Bell helmet with a visor that auto darkens. Works pretty good for me.

Last edited by Sam Mac; 12-16-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    I think this is the Super-Visor that Grayfox was talking about. I've had one of these on my last two helmets and I'll never be without one from here on out.
    That is very similar to what is on my new HJC helmet, except you take it off to install the full face shield. Pro's and con's with both.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Sam!
    But unfortunately, my eyes are so bad; I can't even wear photochromatic eyeglasses any more.
    For normal use of my eyeballs; I need all of the light transmission, that is possible.
    (It's just that it's so easy to get too much light; and be blinded by the glare... )
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-16-2015 at 02:56 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    How about a pair of prescription photochromic sunglasses, mine get pretty dark, but are clear at night. Go to SportRX'x website and talk to them, they have many different styles of glasses, and can put together just about anything optical.

David
    Only one problem with this is that the photochromic sunglasses (or regular glasses w/photo C - Transitions©) is that they will only darken when exposed to UV light. The clear face shield blocks the UV and they will not darken. Ask me how I know. Same thing when driving the car, I have to have a pair of Rx sunglasses as the car's glass blocks the UV.

Another bit of info. Polarized sunglasses work great . . . . 'til you lower your face shield. Then you get all sorts of weird rainbow effects due to the curvature of the plastic of the shield.
    Depending on the thickness and curvature of the plastic the effect can be mild to "wow, man, that's some good stuff".
    Veni, vidi, discessit

Potius sero quam nunquam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm trying the window-tint film this week...
    Praying for some Sun...
    Give it a try. FWIW, I have asked wind tint companies about applying tint onto plastic surfaces and seem to always get the reply that it will not adhere well or blisters easily.

If it works great if not, can always use tape.

To clean the plastic, denatured alcohol should be a good choice.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Give it a try. FWIW, I have asked wind tint companies about applying tint onto plastic surfaces and seem to always get the reply that it will not adhere well or blisters easily.

If it works great if not, can always use tape.

To clean the plastic, denatured alcohol should be a good choice.

PK
    As a Diabetic who's used to sticking himself with all sorts of meds; I've got enough denatured alcohol floating around here to blind an angry mob...
    ...And it IS sticking...

Spyder Garage

As a Diabetic who's used to sticking himself with all sorts of meds; I've got enough denatured alcohol floating around here to blind an angry mob...
    ...And it IS sticking...
    Excellent if it works, if not, no harm.

Not to jinx you, Winter is in a few days...

But, if you want, get while the gettin is good. Bring a tent and you can camp in my backyard until Spring.

All the best with your visor mod.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually; it's this late-Season riding, that has brought this issue to the front of the line...
    In the Summertime; the Sun is much higher in the sky, and is easier to ignore.
    If I can get just ONE more sunny riding day... I'll know for sure if this'll work...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the summer, I find myself ryding due east, into the rising sun, and west, into the setting sun, regularly on organized Maryland Spyder Web rydes, because our normal meetup point is 62 miles due east of my home. I've thought about adding some tape to the upper part of my drop-down sun visor in my Nolan N-104. I also have a mirrored face shield that I used on my ride to Tucson, but it becomes problematic if riding at night. Old folks have crappy night vision, to begin with, and I don't want to diminish available light, any more than necessary.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience. Bob.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Hayfield;1071674] Old folks have crappy night vision, to begin with, and I don't want to diminish available light, any more than necessary.[QUOTE]
    Are you saying that I'm OLD???

You'd be right!!!

Thankfully; I'm still completely immature!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOO-HOO!!

I got to test out "Version 1.0" of my Sunlight Blocking System"
    (SBS v1.0: has a nice ring to it! )

This is a piece of 95% blocking Windshield Tint film. It starts at 2" wide at the corners, and tapers in to 1&5/8" width in the center. This is a rough prototype, so it's not pretty. The wrinkles and bubbles in it do NOT affect your ability to see out through it; they only bugger-up the cosmetic side of the equation.
    This absolutely ROCKS!!!! I had just enough bright Sun yesterday, to give it a decent test. When I tipped the visor out of the way; I was completely blinded by the glare. When I tipped it down; I had complete vision of the roadway back!
    I normally ride with my visor cracked a bit. It was up at the very top of my field of view. If I clicked the visor shut; I still had an unobstructed view forward, but it did attenuate light transmission over about a third of my field of view.
    ...And I could also see though it enough, that stoplights and overhead stuff was still visible.
    I bought the film online in about a 40" roll for twelve bucks... that'll give me enough to improve the looks of it, and have enough left for a couple of other helmets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-19-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Since I'm riding later this year than normal; I've noticed that the "Low Sun" is a bit of an issue with my eyeballs...
    I am very sensitive to glare, and my HJC helmet has a drop-down sun visor.
    But has anybody tried adding a strip of dark film across the top of their visors; to try and block out the Sun when it always seems to be pointed right at you?
    Bob,
    Google Fog City Speed Tint. This is what I use . Sold lots of them when I had my own shop.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Fog-City-Speed.../dp/B002720XF6

I couldn't find anything mentioning the amount of light that they block?
    What can you tell us about that?