Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with trunk issue.

I got around to installing Tric led 3rd and 4th brake lights....five hours later and more adventures in Spyder disassembly then I expected I am much more familiar with Spyder construction then I expected to be. I will save you the details but my trunk will now not lock. I took the rear trunk panel off again a number of times but the lid does not engage the latches.
    All the screws are in and the panel looks to fit perfectly but I must be missing something.
    I am going to give it a go again tomorrow. Anyone else ever deal with this problem?
    Last edited by Buggy; 12-18-2015 at 12:13 AM.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Search here on SL as there have been others who've experienced the same problem. As I understand there are pins or some such devices on the body panels that while appearing properly installed are not quite so and they keep the trunk from locking.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Common problem

Remove panel, 8 screws. Flip over. Top center, find a small tab. See slot in back where tab goes. Replace panel, making certain tab goes in slot.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

It could be that your brake light was installed too high up. check this simple thing first.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Remove panel, 8 screws. Flip over. Top center, find a small tab. See slot in back where tab goes. Replace panel, making certain tab goes in slot.
    Yup! That little tab has to engage properly... Everything will bolt back together, but the latch won't engage...

I've been bitten by this one TWICE!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I had the same issue and cptjam has nailed the solution. The trunk reassembly can look correct but unless the tab is where it's supposed to be the trunk won't latch.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys.....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRUNK LOCKING ISSUE

....I had the same problem and fixed mine without a complete dis-assembly, loosen the latch bolts slightly and then close the trunk.....the catches may be able to align the latch......it did on mine ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Found tab....inserted tab....problem solved with thanks to all!

I am no longer a Tupperware virgin having had to remove the rear panel, lower black panel and left taillight assembly to complete the install. Feels good to have tackled that demon

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Same way

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....I had the same problem and fixed mine without a complete dis-assembly, loosen the latch bolts slightly and then close the trunk.....the catches may be able to align the latch......it did on mine ........Mike
    I also had to do it the same way you did. Just tool a little while to figure it out . goat232

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    Found tab....inserted tab....problem solved with thanks to all!

I am no longer a Tupperware virgin having had to remove the rear panel, lower black panel and left taillight assembly to complete the install. Feels good to have tackled that demon

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Never quit until you succeed is my motto. Congrats.

Spyder Garage

Default Lovin It

That's what I love about this site. Lots of good people willing to help out.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Spyder Garage

Default Yay

Glad to help. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default WOW !!!

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM SO MUCH IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME

Before I pulled the back panels off again after installing my TriLED light kits, I googled "rt trunk won't latch" and found this thread about the tab upon re-installation of the painted back panel across the back. Made the adjustment and poof...trunk closed and latched again.

boy, I'm still not sure how to install that panel without breaking off the forward tabs that key to the top inside of the side bags with the passenger grab handle in the way. I found them broken and glued them back on with some Loctite plastic glue, but they still couldn't bend enough to slip in their slots undamaged.

miracles of miracles after all that work, I still had the exact number of bolts and hardware to put back without extras.

woo hoo...let's ride

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM SO MUCH IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME

Before I pulled the back panels off again after installing my TriLED light kits, I googled "rt trunk won't latch" and found this thread about the tab upon re-installation of the painted back panel across the back. Made the adjustment and poof...trunk closed and latched again.

boy, I'm still not sure how to install that panel without breaking off the forward tabs that key to the top inside of the side bags with the passenger grab handle in the way. I found them broken and glued them back on with some Loctite plastic glue, but they still couldn't bend enough to slip in their slots undamaged.

miracles of miracles after all that work, I still had the exact number of bolts and hardware to put back without extras.

woo hoo...let's ride
    That's the only part of the process that terrifies me...
    It's almost as if you need about six hands, to bend everything is fourteen different directions at once!

Spyder Garage

Default Rear upper panel

No tricks; remove 8 screws. Use a soft item (a Popsicle stick works) to make sure the dirt has not glued the panel in place anywhere. Use the stick a couple inches above the passenger hand holds, and bow the panel out enough to get your hand on it. Use the other hand to protect the lower tabs as you lift. Gets easier with practice! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it matter what flavor the popsicle was??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does it matter what flavor the popsicle was??
    Yep! It hadta be orange.... Unless your Spyder is cognac, in which case it hasta be raspberry.

Now, about that bridge you wanted to buy....

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

ok, I have had the panel off and put back on again. I had to take it apart to do my trailer wiring. Now, I can't get the panel back on. I know about the tabs on the panel. Is there a certain sequence for sliding the tabs in and then getting the sides to slide down into the slots?

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can only answer because I've had this issue TWICE!!

Install that last panel piece (goes from one side to the other across the trunk has the tab in the middle. It's more flexible than you might expect and you have to flex it quite a bit to get everything in place.

• Install one side, say the left in the slot as far as it will go to where you can see that the screw holes in the panel are roughly lined up with nuts in the hole
    • Do the same on the right side.
    • Install 1 screw loosely on each side to hold them in place.
    • Now the tab. I foolishly tried to get it in the slot by moving the painted panel and it wouldn't work. Capnjam advised me to press down on the black plastic trunk piece that has the slot, and it popped straight on in. Getting this right is the most critical component.
    • Put in the 4 screws around the trunk. If the slot is in place this should be easy.
    • Put in the remaining screw in each side, snug everything up.

2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I can only answer because I've had this issue TWICE!!

Install that last panel piece (goes from one side to the other across the trunk has the tab in the middle. It's more flexible than you might expect and you have to flex it quite a bit to get everything in place.

• Install one side, say the left in the slot as far as it will go to where you can see that the screw holes in the panel are roughly lined up with nuts in the hole
    • Do the same on the right side.
    • Install 1 screw loosely on each side to hold them in place.
    • Now the tab. I foolishly tried to get it in the slot by moving the painted panel and it wouldn't work. Capnjam advised me to press down on the black plastic trunk piece that has the slot, and it popped straight on in. Getting this right is the most critical component.
    • Put in the 4 screws around the trunk. If the slot is in place this should be easy.
    • Put in the remaining screw in each side, snug everything up.

I'll give that sequence a shot. All of the tupperware pieces, I hate taking and putting this piece on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup! That little tab has to engage properly... Everything will bolt back together, but the latch won't engage...

I've been bitten by this one TWICE!

Tab has to be in place or you will pull your hair out wondering why it won't lock.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    I'll give that sequence a shot. All of the tupperware pieces, I hate taking and putting this piece on.
    Just be gentle and it will fit, don't be gentle with a big hammer.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer