Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New 16 F3-S (SE6) wouldn't come out of neutral

My wife and I each have the new 16 F3-S Special Series. She was on a ride by herself and said that she was at a light and the bike wouldn't come out of neutral. She said she had this problem before where it wouldn't immediately come out of neutral and into first. She had to be pushed off to the side and shut it off and restart.

I asked her if she was putting it in neutral at the light which she said she didn't and had no issues at previous lights. It's like the transmission is bringing it down into neutral during the auto down shift when she is coming to a stop. I don't have this issue on mine at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this issue may be? The bike is brand new with maybe 25 miles on it.

Spyder Garage

Are you sure the brake is depressed? It will not shift into gear if the brake is not depressed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TWILBER View Post
    Are you sure the brake is depressed? It will not shift into gear if the brake is not depressed.

I'm not sure at all it was depressed but that is definitely something that could have happened. Thanks for the idea to check.

I'm still scratching my head how it would get into neutral though.

Spyder Garage

Our SE5 glitched a few times on break in. We also manually downshift rather than let the computer do it for us.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

glitches during the first 75 miles for Spyders have been pretty commonplace over the years, sometimes due to break in , other times due to questionable final assembly at dealership...

Spyder Garage

Take it for a ride yourself and see if it happens to u

Not pointing fingers but could help to see if human error or mechanical

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEUTRAL ?????

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post

.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    glitches during the first 75 miles for Spyders have been pretty commonplace over the years, sometimes due to break in , other times due to questionable final assembly at dealership...
    I guess Sandra must one of the lucky ones with no glitches in the 1000 miles she has done so far
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post

Thanks - I plan to when I get a minute this week. My suspicion is that she wasn't putting her foot fully on the brake but I do want to see if I can recreate it going into neutral on it's own. I'll circle back when I know.

Many thanks to all for the good advice.

Spyder Garage

Both with new 16 F3-S Special Series

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Happened to me

I have the F3S-2015. It happened to me sitting at a light on one of my first rides on the Spyder. I had to flag the cars behind me to go around as I couldn't get it out of Neutral. I finally realized I didn't have the brake fully depressed!! Honest error-but I learned!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by archibald609 View Post
    Both with new 16 F3-S Special Series

Yes - We both have the same bikes.

I was able to ride hers last night and couldn't get a repeat of what happened. I think she didn't completely press the brake down for it to come out of neutral. Unknown how it got to neutral still since it didn't happen to me. Maybe it was due to the break in or it was just inadvertent on her part. The good thing is it doesn't appear to be an ongoing issue as we've had none at all since riding them.

Thanks for all of the tips!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDeck View Post
    My wife and I each have the new 16 F3-S Special Series. She was on a ride by herself and said that she was at a light and the bike wouldn't come out of neutral. She said she had this problem before where it wouldn't immediately come out of neutral and into first. She had to be pushed off to the side and shut it off and restart.

I asked her if she was putting it in neutral at the light which she said she didn't and had no issues at previous lights. It's like the transmission is bringing it down into neutral during the auto down shift when she is coming to a stop. I don't have this issue on mine at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this issue may be? The bike is brand new with maybe 25 miles on it.
    The manual mentions this---when it happens in neutral--rev the engine up to approx 3000+ & then let it return to normal idle rpm--it should work. I have a similar problem on rare occassion----mostly from forward to reverse but i've also had it happen one other time. Neutral--foot on brake--rev the engine to 3000+ rpm---when it returns to 950 rpm-push shift lever toward 1st.-it works for me. good luck.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had mine go into neutral a few times at stop lights.(My human error) When the light changes you roll the throttle and set there, you hit the paddle to put it in first and nothing, then panic sets in because you are holding up people behind you. Finally you realize you aren't putting your foot on the brake so it wont shift. The reason you aren't putting your foot on the brake is because you are trying to take off.

I discovered that the only time mine went into neutral was when I was listening to music, getting into the song, and tapping my thumb ever so slightly. It just so happens that my finger was laying close to, or on, the upshift paddle and the slight tapping put the bike in neutral.

I have now learned to move my hand away from the paddle when setting at lights and it has never shifted to neutral since.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 12-17-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just a stray thought here...
    It might be worthwhile to check the oil level.
    The "ESSIES" start shifting funky, if the oil level drops by about six droplets...
    It's one of their ways of telling you that some attention may be needed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    I guess Sandra must one of the lucky ones with no glitches in the 1000 miles she has done so far
    Happy to see Sandra is back!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.