Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding in the Everglades & Key West

We are trying to plan a late winter Spyder/RV trip to south Florida. We would like to be near the Everglades, (never been that far south in Florida). The idea is to ride that whole region as well as a day trip out to Key West. Anyone have a recommended RV park in the area that will allow 5th wheel toy haulers? I have noticed when searching some accept RV's only. Any must see stops or places to eat? I was thinking to stay in the Naples area or just south of that.

Spyder Garage

Everglade City is kind of low-keyed which I like. Airboat rides and a couple decent restaurants are why we went there. I did not stay here http://www.evergladesisle.com/index.php which I see only excepts class A motor homes. Maybe worth a call? Key West is a great ride once you get on the Overseas HWY.

skip to the two minute mark
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZdRO_lGRDs

Pat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

its a pretty long drive from Miami to key west..suggest you stay at least one overnight. lots to see so little time

been down there 3 times from Jacksonville fl. get offthe interstate and ride thru the middle of the state. very good ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hecoon View Post
    its a pretty long drive from Miami to key west..suggest you stay at least one overnight.

Yes most definitely, at least one night in Key West. Seafood http://djsclamshack.com/ Cuban http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/

Pat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

don't forget the HOGFISH BAR AND GRILL

http://www.hogfishbar.com/home

really laid back

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    We are trying to plan a late winter Spyder/RV trip to south Florida. We would like to be near the Everglades, (never been that far south in Florida). The idea is to ride that whole region as well as a day trip out to Key West. Anyone have a recommended RV park in the area that will allow 5th wheel toy haulers? I have noticed when searching some accept RV's only. Any must see stops or places to eat? I was thinking to stay in the Naples area or just south of that.
    A day trip to Key West from Miami will allow you virtually no time to see and enjoy the city. Try and plan at least two or three days. I lived there back in the bad old days (late '70s and early '80s) and still go down there every couple of years or so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    A day trip to Key West from Miami will allow you virtually no time to see and enjoy the city. Try and plan at least two or three days. I lived there back in the bad old days (late '70s and early '80s) and still go down there every couple of years or so.
    Did you have a boat back then? Crazy times.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

High season down here starts to wind down by April, as the snowbirds start migrating north. Prior to that, finding any RV space will be difficult and very expensive. You don't want to stay on the Gulf side if you plan to ride the Keys, you just added a couple hours to the trip depending on traffic.

i would suggest looking at RV parks in Key Largo or Islamorada. Spaces can be tight, so be honest with the length of your rig and remind the park you need space behind your trailer to unload.

As as others have said, it's about 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West. You won't see much trying to do that as a day trip.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Try Fiesta Key KOA

Spyder Garage

I would absolutely do again a snorkel & sunset trip while in Key West. This company did a very good job for us!
    https://www.sunsetwatersportskeywest.com/

We stayed here, not five star but it wasn't bad. Could walk to all the fun on Duval St & restaurants I mentioned.
    http://bluemarlinmotel.com/

Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default To late....

the above got you covered. We loved Naples many times was as far as we got.. Key west is not a day trip kinda of place unless you live there.. we stayed in Key Largo then Key West there are many others in between... enjoy the trip....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Get a copy of the Good Sam Trailer Life Directory at a Camping World Store for reference to camp grounds in North America. It gives ratings, rates, descriptions. It will let you know what type of vechicles are allowed too.

The above suggestions on places to stay are good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Did you have a boat back then? Crazy times.
    Nope, just my Yamaha XS500. Had a neighbor with a boat, though. We used to go diving from time to time. Every once in awhile you'd see some "square grouper" floating in with the tide...

Spyder Garage

Earlier this year, we stayed at the city park in Homestead. Not the greatest park, but the price was good, the facilities adequate and we felt safe. We have a 26' toyhauler, bumper pull.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    Nope, just my Yamaha XS500. Had a neighbor with a boat, though. We used to go diving from time to time. Every once in awhile you'd see some "square grouper" floating in with the tide...

Roger that.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies.

We have a limited number of days and this will be a Toyhauler/spyder trip. We are going down to ride, no hotels and will not have time to spend several days in Key West. I would probably get bored with walking around one area for a couple of days anyway. I also found out this weekend that I have to spend a night in St Augustine to visit my wife's aunt so I will lose another day of riding.
    This trip is all about getting out of the cold weather and riding a little earlier than normal and riding an area we have never been to before.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

We have a limited number of days and this will be a Toyhauler/spyder trip. We are going down to ride, no hotels and will not have time to spend several days in Key West. I would probably get bored with walking around one area for a couple of days anyway. I also found out this weekend that I have to spend a night in St Augustine to visit my wife's aunt so I will lose another day of riding.
    This trip is all about getting out of the cold weather and riding a little earlier than normal and riding an area we have never been to before.

st Augustine is 20 miles south of ponte vedra. you will enjoy the town

justwest of st auggie on rt 207 is lots of country/farm rds to ride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartram_Trail runs along the st johns river

Spyder Garage

It's a really nice ride going over the bridges.
    Be sure to stop at Robbie's in Islamorada at mile marker 77 to stretch your legs and feed the tarpon.
    The square grouper days are long gone.