Spyder Garage

Default Blue Ridge Stress Cracks

I just pulled off my Blue Ridge Windscreen (changing out bulbs) and found that the lower mounting holes (not the small front mount) of both the left and right side mounts have stress cracks radiating outward from the factory holes. They haven't gone beyond what could be covered by a nickle but I am concerned if they will continue to spread. Curious is if this is normal or of concern and worth a trip to the dealer. Kind of stinks to pay that much for something that won't last.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    I just pulled off my Blue Ridge Windscreen (changing out bulbs) and found that the lower mounting holes (not the small front mount) of both the left and right side mounts have stress cracks radiating outward from the factory holes. They haven't gone beyond what could be covered by a nickle but I am concerned if they will continue to spread. Curious is if this is normal or of concern and worth a trip to the dealer. Kind of stinks to pay that much for something that won't last.

CJ JAX
    I would document and make the dealer & BRP aware. A new product, so they may have to tweek it if there are additional complaints/problems.

As others have mentioned below--it could also be from over tight on the attachment bolts. I did the same on a $350 windshield on my 2009 RS. It made cracks. That one was on me of course.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-12-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CJ JAX
    If the dealer installed, then I would try dealer - could be bolts where over tightened. I replaced my blueridge but one of the holes (for breakaway bracket) showed a stress crack so I didn't offer it for sale. Maybe it could be filled, I don't know. I must have overtightened one of the bolts or during installation I put to much pressure on the breakaway bracket.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Did you install the windshield? I would talk to Omar at Jax Power sports and see what he has to say. Where in Jax are you, I live in Middleburg.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Did you install the windshield? I would talk to Omar at Jax Power sports and see what he has to say. Where in Jax are you, I live in Middleburg.

David
    It was a dealer installed item when we purchased the bike, I will let them know and see what they think. I live in the Mandarin area of Jax.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

Dealer installed dealers fault...most cracks like that are pressure related to over tightening or lack of proper mounting screws and washers. Cracks in plastic are not as prone to run like they do in glass but if not corrected (mounting) they will of course continue. You should have some kind of bumper like rubber pad or washer for mounting.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Dealer installed dealers fault...most cracks like that are pressure related to over tightening or lack of proper mounting screws and washers. Cracks in plastic are not as prone to run like they do in glass but if not corrected (mounting) they will of course continue. You should have some kind of bumper like rubber pad or washer for mounting.
    There were rubber washers installed. It just seemed a little odd that there are 6 mounting screws and only 2 of the six holes showed signs of stress cracks. You would think that the same person tightening all the screws would over tighten more than two or that it would be different holes but only 2 of 6 and both of the same holes on different brackets? Oh well, they are looking at it and contacting BRP so it's not like they are ignoring me.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Drilled out

There were rubber washers installed
    CJ JAX
    They look like they have been drilled out larger with a normal twist drill.
    those 2 original holes are not properly drilled at brp .they are drilled 90 degrees to the plastic and the small bolts screw in at an angle eg the same as the bracket.
    some dealers are drilling the holes so they do not cross thread the 2 small bolts.
    There should also be small rubber washers both sides of the screen ie 4
    If any body removes those 2 very small bolts to the front of the swiveling bracket make a note if they have been cross threaded.
    you cannot drill screens with a normal twist drill especially with no lubricant.
    one of the screen manufactures documents drilling screens very well.

Spyder Garage

CJ JAX
    That's a bummer for sure, but all's not lost. If you pursue warranty replacement and it doesn't happen, I have a BRP Blue Ridge windscreen (no mounting hardware) that is brand new that I can sell. I opted for a taller windscreen.
    Just offering an option that's reasonably priced if you need it.
    jb

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm wondering what the outcome of this has been...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm wondering what the outcome of this has been...
    No update Bob. I will post as soon as there is some kind of news.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Back to waiting, and hoping for the best possible outcome!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks!
    Back to waiting, and hoping for the best possible outcome!

Dealer contacted me and BRP is going to take care of it.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

CJ JAX
    As they should...great outcome!
    jb

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Way to pursue this. Congrat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CJ JAX