Spyder Garage

Default RT-622 Water Intrusion Problem

I have 2010 RT-622 the I bought new with my RTS. Last year after riding in the rain there was water under the carpet and in the two shallow recesses at the front. I removed and dried the carpet and got the water soaked up. I figured the lid seals were bad and replaced them both with the better ones from JT Industries. I hadn't used it in the rain until this years SpyderQuest. It rained all Saturday night and into the morning. The trailer was parked most of that time at the motel. I didn't pull in the rain until Sunday morning when I left for home and then only rode in the rain for about 50 miles. It was the same thing when I got home; water in the front recesses and the carpet damp about half way back on the floor. I put RTV sealant around the bolts in the front that connect the box to the frame. Anyone else have a similar problem and how did you solve it. I prolly won't use the trailer again until next year but would like to be proactive and get it fixed over the winter. TIA

Spyder Phyl
    2014 RT-Ltd, Cognac and Timeless Black 2010 RT-622 trailer.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Do you have the water drain system in the front of the trailer?? (between the front and rear openings) ( a long plastic tray with drains that drains water)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Yes. Installed by dealer soon after I got the trailer. Just had the water problems recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

check your drains??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    check your drains??
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Do you have the water drain system in the front of the trailer?? (between the front and rear openings) ( a long plastic tray with drains that drains water)

Cruzr Joe
    That was one thought I had checking those. If they are leaking it must be where they exit through the wheel well since nothing in there is getting wet other the soaking up from the damp carpet.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the same thing going on with my 2010 RT-622. When we left Las Vegas for Alaska everything was dry but then I started noticing that a microfiber I had up in the front stayed nice and wet, even though I hadn't run it under any water. Both wells in the front were full of water and I still haven't figured out where it came from. My seals are pretty much shot but there wasn't any indication that the water came from the top. If you figure it out let me know.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I've got the same thing going on with my 2010 RT-622. When we left Las Vegas for Alaska everything was dry but then I started noticing that a microfiber I had up in the front stayed nice and wet, even though I hadn't run it under any water. Both wells in the front were full of water and I still haven't figured out where it came from. My seals are pretty much shot but there wasn't any indication that the water came from the top. If you figure it out let me know.
    Okay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pwilbarger View Post
    I have 2010 RT-622 the I bought new with my RTS. Last year after riding in the rain there was water under the carpet and in the two shallow recesses at the front. I removed and dried the carpet and got the water soaked up. I figured the lid seals were bad and replaced them both with the better ones from JT Industries. I hadn't used it in the rain until this years SpyderQuest. It rained all Saturday night and into the morning. The trailer was parked most of that time at the motel. I didn't pull in the rain until Sunday morning when I left for home and then only rode in the rain for about 50 miles. It was the same thing when I got home; water in the front recesses and the carpet damp about half way back on the floor. I put RTV sealant around the bolts in the front that connect the box to the frame. Anyone else have a similar problem and how did you solve it. I prolly won't use the trailer again until next year but would like to be proactive and get it fixed over the winter. TIA

Spyder Phyl
    I have a 13 model & noticed the clear plastic drain piecewas leaking from the plastic pan rubber seal going down. Also had to adjust the front door latch. Looking in could see light in certain places

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    I have a 13 model & noticed the clear plastic drain piecewas leaking from the plastic pan rubber seal going down. Also had to adjust the front door latch. Looking in could see light in certain places
    I'll be sure to check both of those.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I know not all 622 hatches are true. Try a piece of paper between the seal and the lid. If you can identify the bad spot pull the seal up a bit in that area.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default RT-622 Water Intrusion Problem

I just checked the drain hose and it didn't seem to be leaking. I did see some light coming in around the seal in one section in front and did the paper test in a few places and it seemed a bit loose. I decided to just pull the seal up all the way around. After that I saw no light and the paper was much tighter. I'll leave the carpet out until the next wash job and check it with a little hose pressure.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Washed the trailer this week and it was still having the leak problem. It was coming in around the seals in large rear hatch in the front. I checked the seals again and could see some light showing so pulled the seals up to the point of almost coming off and used some Gorilla tape to keep in place ( sort of). I didn't water test it again. Maybe next spring when I get it out again.
    A few years ago when I had my Gold Wing there was a problem with the seals on the top trunk and the solution was to push a small piece of clear tubing through the seal so it would be harder to compress and seal better. I never did this but some people said it worked. I'm not sure I could do this on the 622's rear hatch seal since it's very long.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Spyder Phyl

I had the same problem. Dealer thighten lightly the screw at the bottom of the front latch. Problem resolve...

Spyder Garage

Washed the trailer this week and it was still having the leak problem. It was coming in around the seals in large rear hatch in the front. I checked the seals again and could see some light showing so pulled the seals up to the point of almost coming off and used some Gorilla tape to keep in place ( sort of). I didn't water test it again. Maybe next spring when I get it out again.
    A few years ago when I had my Gold Wing there was a problem with the seals on the top trunk and the solution was to push a small piece of clear tubing through the seal so it would be harder to compress and seal better. I never did this but some people said it worked. I'm not sure I could do this on the 622's rear hatch seal since it's very long.

Spyder Phyl
    Is it leaking near the latch end? You might try adjusting the latch down if possible.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Is it leaking near the latch end? You might try adjusting the latch down if possible.

JT
    No, it's along the front edge. The fiberglass lip is not very high in this area and angled towards the back to make the seal properly.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, it's along the front edge. The fiberglass lip is not very high in this area and angled towards the back to make the seal properly.

Spyder Phyl
    Mine is the same. In fact I never noticed anything wet in my trailer except for the very front in the two wells.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Spyder Phyl
    In that case check your hinge adjustment. On my RT622 they are adjusted all the way down and all the way forward. The seal when pushed all the way down is compressed about 1/2 way by the lid.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    In that case check your hinge adjustment. On my RT622 they are adjusted all the way down and all the way forward. The seal when pushed all the way down is compressed about 1/2 way by the lid.

JT
    I'll have to look at those.

Spyder Phyl
    SpyderPhyl

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac