Spyder Garage

Default New to spyder. Advice please

Hello from bama,

I lost the use of my left leg in a tractor accident about two years ago. Want to get into riding. I was looking a gold wing trikes and adding the auto shift feature at a cost of about 1k. Recently though I have become interested in the spyder. Obviously eclectic shift is a must and so is passenger comfort, as I want to get my wife involved in riding. I know nothing about the spyder except for lurking on this site a few day. I tried to pm a few people in the classifieds but I get no response, I guess because I have no post. So this is to kill two birds with one stone.
    Any advice on what I should be looking for and what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance.

Greg

Spyder Garage

Hi Greg, sorry to hear about your accident. I think if two up comfort is important to you and your wife you should be looking at the RT.

2014 and up has the new 3 cylinder ACE motor which is the way to go, IMO. More power, better fuel economy and has less service requirements.

Good luck, hope you get out in the breeze soon!

Pat

Spyder Garage

Hey Greg, sorry to hear about your accident as well. I live in Birmingham also. The RT is the way to go. Whenever you get a chance, go by Big #1 and check out the bikes there. They have several on hand. My wife loves being the passenger. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. That's the kind of stuff I need to know. I know I am wanting the RT. Just don't know about the significant changes that I need to be aware of from year to year. Are all models 2014 and up the 1330 engine. And if they are auto, are they all six speed with reverse?

Spyder Garage

I agree with the RT model recommendation. Go to this link, http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/dealer-locator.html and locate a dealer or two. Visit, talk, test ride, decide. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mtrprts View Post
    Thanks guys. That's the kind of stuff I need to know. I know I am wanting the RT. Just don't know about the significant changes that I need to be aware of from year to year. Are all models 2014 and up the 1330 engine. And if they are auto, are they all six speed with reverse?
    Yes, all 2014 (15 & 16) RT models have the 1330 motor with 6 speed and reverse. The 2015 (16) F3 also has the 1330.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I love my RT. My wife likes it too. I just saw a RT LIMITED 2014 posted for sale in Marietta GA on this site. Looks like a phenomenal deal! Less than 1100 miles on it. Good luck with your search. The Spyder is definitely the way to go. So much smoother and easier to steer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by POD KonB GA View Post
    I love my RT. My wife likes it too. I just saw a RT LIMITED 2014 posted for sale in Marietta GA on this site. Looks like a phenomenal deal! Less than 1100 miles on it. Good luck with your search. The Spyder is definitely the way to go. So much smoother and easier to steer.

yes I saw that 2014 in Marietta. Sent him a pm. Hoping he will reply. It looked like a very nice bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes it did. I actually talked to him about it for a friend of mine because it had the hand brake. Unfortunately, my friend couldn't swing it right now, but that is one heck of a deal for someone. Super nice guy to talk with as well.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum, Greg. Don't know if you've seen it already, but there is also a section on the forum called "Enabled Spyderlovers" that contains discussions about riding Spyders for those with physical limitations.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 6 speed on 2014 and later....BUT

Quote Originally Posted by Mtrprts View Post
    Whatever you settle on for your Spyder...make sure you have a floorboard installed that gives both you and passenger comfort (John of Seal floor boards makes an excellent floor board). Then I would add cup holders (you and passenger) and I have ridden passenger a couple times and those with armrests for passenger makes for a reallllly comfortable trip...Keep us posted on what you decide on. Welcome to Spyder hood....you have found the best site for all things Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As most have already said, for 2-up rioding the RT series is the way to go. There are only "minor" differences from the 2014-2016. Cognac and a "Black Cherry" Metallic were only one year colors(2014). Metallic Black was added in 2015. Circuit Yellow Metallic(2014-2015) was replaced by Orbital Blue in 2016. You can go to brp.com to see all the features and color choices.
    The RT Limited comes standard with the SE6 tranny(paddle shift) and GPS. It also comes with a luggage bag for the frunk. If you don't want the chrome trim(looks nice), the GPS, or the one piece of luggage, then you can add the SE6 tranny to either the base RT or the RT-S
    I went to the RT Limited from a GL1800 trike because of arthritis issues in my hands after 42 years of hand intensive work.
    Good luck having fun making your choice.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

The previous posters have you covered with suggestions and answers to your questions.

I have been driving RT's since 2010--now on #3--because I like em--not because of problems.

RT will offer the best line of comfort for you and your passenger. The new F3 touring and limited looks pretty cool but it appears the passenger accommodations are lacking.

I would suggest a test drive in your near future. That will help to determine what works best for you.

Let us know. And all your questions are welcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was coming out of the store when I was approached by a gentleman who told me he was a diehard biker but had suffered a stroke some time back and was unable to support the weight of a bike. He asked me how I liked my RT-S and I told him to simply climb onboard and decide for himself. You could see the transformation occur as he sat there. He climbed off and thanked me for allowing him the pleasure of sitting on the RT. I believe we will have a new Spyder rider in the near future.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought a new RT Limited earlier this summer and have 2000+ miles on it. Absolutely love riding this thing! You will too!

However, if I could do it over again, I wouldn't have bought the Limited. It's fancy looking for sure, but I would've rather spent the money on the performance upgrades that I have HAD to do: anti-swaybar, shocks, adjustable handlebar, and longer seat. I would've bought the base model, or the next two-tone version up, and then made the upgrades.

I just assumed that the "Limited" would have everything to the top performance level, but it doesn't. Price tag was though!

I bet a low mileage used 2014 RT would be your best bang for your buck.
    2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Big thanks to you guys for all your replies and helpful suggestions. I did buy the 2014 rt limited in Atlanta. Gonna pick it up Thursday or Saturday. Looking forward to riding.

Spyder Garage

GREAT! ​I know you'll enjoy it.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Hey Greg

I just bought a 2015 RT Special. I find you need to hug the chassis when getting into curves, I strongly suggest you take a long windy road test before you sign the check. I love the Spyder so far, but this could be an issue if you can't squeeze into the chassis. I put pressure on the opposite side of the turn with my legs. I find this keeps you in the seat. I only have 300 miles ridding the spyder to date. I think if the squeeze is not an issue then do it!!

Beware as your wife will love it!!!

Best of luck

Doug

OPPS! I see you did buy one, you will love it. Ride safe
    Doug
    Last edited by bumpadug; 10-04-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bumpadug View Post
    Hey Greg

I just bought a 2015 RT Special. I find you need to hug the chassis when getting into curves, I strongly suggest you take a long windy road test before you sign the check. I love the Spyder so far, but this could be an issue if you can't squeeze into the chassis. I put pressure on the opposite side of the turn with my legs. I find this keeps you in the seat. I only have 300 miles ridding the spyder to date. I think if the squeeze is not an issue then do it!!

Beware as your wife will love it!!!

Best of luck

Doug

OPPS! I see you did buy one, you will love it. Ride safe
    Doug
    yes I do love it. My leg loss is from the knee down, so I still have the use of thighs muscle. And I drive pretty slow because I want my wife to enjoy it and not be scared. So much rain here I have only ridden maybe 50 miles. But should be a good week this week

Spyder Garage

Congrats.....nice buy....the ride only gets better with every mile of experience.

Welcome to the Family!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White